It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:44 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26026
Location: North Carolina
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/476884311732256768

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/476884594239619072

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/476884927477067777

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/476887447117131776

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:51 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4303
I'm not sure that we should be making any significant moves at this point considering that we'll likely be using Biermann, Maponga, Massaquoi, and Umenyiora as OLB's in the 3-4. ILB's will be Worrilow, Bartu, Dent, and Shembo. Right there, that's 8 LB's, leaving 3 of our draft picks in limbo.

In terms of DL, we have Jackson, Goodman, Matthews, Soliai, Babineaux, Peters, Jerry, and Hageman. That's 8 on the DL. 16 players between LB and DL. It would seem to me that we're already going to have some significant issues with getting our roster down to 53.

For reference, we carried 14 players between the DL and LB squads last year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:16 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3178
RobertAP wrote:
I'm not sure that we should be making any significant moves at this point considering that we'll likely be using Biermann, Maponga, Massaquoi, and Umenyiora as OLB's in the 3-4. ILB's will be Worrilow, Bartu, Dent, and Shembo. Right there, that's 8 LB's, leaving 3 of our draft picks in limbo.

In terms of DL, we have Jackson, Goodman, Matthews, Soliai, Babineaux, Peters, Jerry, and Hageman. That's 8 on the DL. 16 players between LB and DL. It would seem to me that we're already going to have some significant issues with getting our roster down to 53.

For reference, we carried 14 players between the DL and LB squads last year.


The 3-4 changes things. You can never have too many LB's. The Falcons will sign a vet, sooner than later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:15 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4526
Location: Vancouver, WA
I would be interested in Angerer if he is healthy.

Not too many options out there that look great... But if Atlanta can find someone that can serve the "Mike Peterson" role that would be a plus considering how young the LB unit is now.

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3178
Quote:
I would be interested in Angerer if he is healthy


Ya, but I didn't realize how small he was. 6'0 and 236 lbs. Our safety (Moore) is like 6'1 and 230.

From piecing together the offseason moves and reading in between lines, the Falcons are committing to stopping the run (?) on defense. I'm not sure a guy at that size can stand up to it for a full season. I guess we will have to wait and see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:30 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26026
Location: North Carolina
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
I would be interested in Angerer if he is healthy


Ya, but I didn't realize how small he was. 6'0 and 236 lbs. Our safety (Moore) is like 6'1 and 230.

From piecing together the offseason moves and reading in between lines, the Falcons are committing to stopping the run (?) on defense. I'm not sure a guy at that size can stand up to it for a full season. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Paul Worrilow, 6', 230 pounds
Lavonte David, 6'1" 233 pounds

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4526
Location: Vancouver, WA
I think height is a little overrated for linebackers. There is probably a floor of about 6' but there are some good/very good linebackers out there that are 5'11/6'.

It certainly doesn't hurt to be 6'1"-6'3" but it isn't the end of the world if a LB is 6'.

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:07 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3178
Pudge wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
I would be interested in Angerer if he is healthy


Ya, but I didn't realize how small he was. 6'0 and 236 lbs. Our safety (Moore) is like 6'1 and 230.

From piecing together the offseason moves and reading in between lines, the Falcons are committing to stopping the run (?) on defense. I'm not sure a guy at that size can stand up to it for a full season. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Paul Worrilow, 6', 230 pounds
Lavonte David, 6'1" 233 pounds


I hear ya. I just think run stuffing inside linebackers as your 6"1-6"3 250lb guys ala Ray Lewis.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26026
Location: North Carolina
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Pudge wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
I would be interested in Angerer if he is healthy


Ya, but I didn't realize how small he was. 6'0 and 236 lbs. Our safety (Moore) is like 6'1 and 230.

From piecing together the offseason moves and reading in between lines, the Falcons are committing to stopping the run (?) on defense. I'm not sure a guy at that size can stand up to it for a full season. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Paul Worrilow, 6', 230 pounds
Lavonte David, 6'1" 233 pounds


I hear ya. I just think run stuffing inside linebackers as your 6"1-6"3 250lb guys ala Ray Lewis.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/s ... ining-camp

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: