It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spoon out for the year
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:14 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some guys like Sean have a sort of moniker they are trying to develop. Deangelo always does that pose where he looks like Christ on the cross or something. Other guys like DeCoud just kind of dance around spontaneously. When you are continually getting burnt to a crisp like Hall it just seems pathetic but when you are making meaningful plays like Abe did then the choreographed celebrations don't seem as bad. It really isn't a big deal one way or the other. Just a minor annoyance like how the announcer says, "It's thiiiiiiiird down!" over and over to hype the crowd and the team continually gives them a new set of downs. Just sort of underlines the incompetence.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:03 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Pudge wrote:
The plays aren't meaningless. If on 1st-and-10, Pierre Thomas runs up the middle and Spoon stuffs him for a 1-yard gain, he's just lowered the Saints chances of converting a first down on that drive by 10%. In the context of 130 plays over the entire game, yeah that is a relatively meaningless play, but in the context of situational football where every possession is the only possession that matters and thus every play is the only play, it means everything.

So I guess if Thomas had gotten 5 yards, he should have gotten up and done a back flip?

Our defense has been a garbage heap for the past 3-4 seasons. They suck so bad that they celebrate the plays where they, "do their job." And you're saying that they should be able to show some swagger... But not when they consistently get their butts blown off of the field. Stop someone on 2nd down for a 1 yard gain, and give up 20 yards on third down. That's who we are.

What Fun Gus is saying is that Spoon should shelve that crap until our defense isn't a suck fest. Once we're not a suck fest, it would be fine by FG if Spoon were to do his antics, when he makes a, "big play," and not a routine stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugpg8XruhVk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:34 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

That Key and Peele video was hillarious.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

backnblack wrote:
Good points, Pudge, even the old man speak stuff (-ist). OTOH, if you don't think American culture is on the downswing you aren't watching. But you know the old cliché that ends with "show me an old man who isn't a conservative and I'll show you a man without a brain."

This isn't really the place for it, but what I deem culture is more of the creative output of a people/society, such as art, food, religion, music, media. IMHO, the problems that are "degrading" America aren't cultural, it has to do with politics, socio-economics, and the education system. But at same time, as a student of history, these things are inevitable. All great empires die. Great Britain was the world's greatest superpower for about 150 years, America has had its run for about 50 and will probably round out a century, and then China will take over. It's all cyclical. Whether you're Rome, Persia, Greece, Mongolia, Assyria, Egypt, India, France, etc. everybody has their rise and their fall. These things are inevitable.

RobertAP wrote:
Our defense has been a garbage heap for the past 3-4 seasons. They suck so bad that they celebrate the plays where they, "do their job." And you're saying that they should be able to show some swagger... But not when they consistently get their butts blown off of the field. Stop someone on 2nd down for a 1 yard gain, and give up 20 yards on third down. That's who we are.

Classic fan-speak.

This is just asinine. Again, why is a sack not a routine play and get a stuff on first down is? You say, why is Spoon celebrating when he's just doing his job? So, then why is John Abraham allowed to celebrate when he's just doing his job all the same, right? His job is to sack the quarterback, yet when he accomplishes this maybe 8-12 times a year, it is a reason to celebrate. Spoon or any half-way decent LB will have just as many stuffs a year, yet these are instances where they are just "routine."

DeAngelo Hall is one of the most opportunistic DBs in the entire league.

Combined Interceptions and Forced Fumbles (2010-13):
1. Charles Tillman - 35
2. Richard Sherman - 24
2. Jairus Byrd - 24
4. DeAngelo Hall - 23
5. William Moore - 22
6. Devin McCourty - 21
6. Charles Woodson - 21
8. Ed Reed - 20
8. Tim Jennings - 20
8. Earl Thomas - 20
11. Asante Samuel - 18
11. Tramon Williams - 18
11. Troy Polamalu - 18
11. Michael Griffin - 18

Does that make him one of the best defensive backs in the league? No, but if he wants to celebrate, then let him celebrate. Why can't he celebrate the plays he does actually make? Not have it held against him, for all the plays that he doesn't make.

Again, it's this arbitrary picking and choosing of when it's appropriate to celebrate. This guy can celebrate that play, but not that play. And this other guy can't celebrate this play or that play and because he didn't make that play, he shouldn't be allowed to celebrate ever, but the other guy can celebrate despite him not making this or that play...

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed. :x

OK fine. You guy believe that if the entire defense gets off the field on third down, that is the appropriate time to celebrate as a team. And you're more than welcome to have that opinion.

But here's the thing...if a player and/or team doesn't confirm to that idea, does it matter? No, it doesn't. Newsflash people, when and where and how a player celebrates has NOTHING to do with whether or not he is a good player.

Again, let's go back to the original statement about player celebrations:
[quote="MarylandFalcon1]
I never want to see a guy get hurt but I have to say I've never been more sick of a 'move' from a player than Spoon taking out the 'spoon' after he makes a tackle on first or second down. I swear the guy never made an impact stop, just good plays on those first two downs and then did nothing as the opponent picked up a 3rd and long. He was as poor as Worrilow racking up meaningless tackle stats without actually getting the opponent off the field.[/quote]
So now Spoon is solely responsible for allowing opposing defenses to convert a 3rd down? How come John Abraham is given a pass?

Ultimately, I don't really care if/when a player celebrates. That's his prerogative, just like it may or may not be mine to dislike/like his celebration.

And I really enjoy the revisionist history, trying to downplay Spoon's impact now that he's out for the year and has possibly played his last snap. Keep lying to yourselves fellas if that's what it takes to sleep at night. :roll:

I repeat, it is silly when fans complain about players celebrating.

But I'm done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:16 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Your view of culture seems to mainly be pop culture. It's all culture but I agree about the cycles and some of the declining cultures you noted--prob most famously Roman--became noted for a surrender into consumerism, entertainment being highly prized and a multi-ethnic populace trying to blend. To me the education system is very much a part of a culture....quite possibly paramount. Sean Witherspoon = harbinger of doom for America. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:56 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
This is just asinine. Again, why is a sack not a routine play and get a stuff on first down is? You say, why is Spoon celebrating when he's just doing his job? So, then why is John Abraham allowed to celebrate when he's just doing his job all the same, right? His job is to sack the quarterback, yet when he accomplishes this maybe 8-12 times a year, it is a reason to celebrate. Spoon or any half-way decent LB will have just as many stuffs a year, yet these are instances where they are just "routine."

DeAngelo Hall? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I repeat, it is silly when fans complain about players celebrating.

But I'm done.

yes, you are done. why is a sack not a routine play? :shock:

umm, because it is a sack? :whistle:

sack a QB on third down? shovel away.

stop Pierre Thomas on 2nd? sit down.

it's not that hard to figure out. Brooking was the king of this kind of crap. I hated when he did it, too.

I don't think it is in your capacity to even see the point I've been trying to make. no harm, no foul. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:45 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The fans like it. What's not to like?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:04 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
The fans like it. What's not to like?

:rofl: :doh: :up: :mrgreen: