All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spoon out for the year
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

He tore his Achilles today :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

Post subject: Re: Spoon out for the year
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 am 

Aside from his leadership I'm not too stressed about losing Spoon. It's not like he did much on the rare occasion he was healthy last year. The guy underachieved and with this injury is days as a Falcon are probably over.

On the plus side Atlanta added a crap ton of LB's this year and maybe this will push the team to go out and get someone like Justin Houston to bolster the unit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Put a fork in Spoon. He's done. Can't stay healthy. It's amazing how many different injuries the guy has had.

Thanks for your time here Spoon. I always believed that you could be, "special." It's a shame you couldn't stay healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

It's Smitty's and TD's fault. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If Bartu and Worrilow ball out in Spoon's absence, then I'd say he's gone. But he could always come back on a 1-yr. prove it deal much like Jeremy Maclin this past year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
If Bartu and Worrilow ball out in Spoon's absence, then I'd say he's gone. But he could always come back on a 1-yr. prove it deal much like Jeremy Maclin this past year.

We also just drafted four linebackers. IMHO, Spoon's future was already on shaky ground.

But you're right, he might get that 1 year, "prove it," deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I read this from if I remember from "The sports Xchange"

"During Sean's run today with our medical staff, he suffered an injury," Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. "We sent Sean to the doctor for some additional testing and evaluation and unfortunately the results showed that he ruptured his Achilles tendon.

Quote:
Are they saying he got hurt running with the doctors??

How fast were they running? I guess it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:48 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
Pudge wrote:

We also just drafted four linebackers. IMHO, Spoon's future was already on shaky ground.

But you're right, he might get that 1 year, "prove it," deal.

But not one of those linebackers is anywhere close to Spoon's caliber. All of them are pretty much career backups/ST players. Unless one of them has a Worrilow-esque rookie season, expecting any of them to be adequate replacement for Spoon is foolhardy.

Fact is that Spoon is still one of the few talented players we have on defense. Regardless of their durability concerns, you don't let good players walk away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Pudge is right, but this is Spoon's last year on his contract......

What if he asks for a bonus? My guess is the 4-3 is on shakier ground than Spoon? Really Beirman is too slow to play linebacker, rookies don't make good starters, We were really counting on Spoon for sacks. If its possible we need him for rushing the passer. Next year if it has to be....

This is still backlash from Thomas D. and Smith not having any depth,
but even though its just one player; we can't sacrifice #!s or 2s pick from

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I never want to see a guy get hurt but I have to say I've never been more sick of a 'move' from a player than Spoon taking out the 'spoon' after he makes a tackle on first or second down. I swear the guy never made an impact stop, just good plays on those first two downs and then did nothing as the opponent picked up a 3rd and long. He was as poor as Worrilow racking up meaningless tackle stats without actually getting the opponent off the field. :doh:

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:36 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Fact is that Spoon is still one of the few talented players we have on defense. Regardless of their durability concerns, you don't let good players walk away.

You'll get no argument from me on this. But the fact is that Spoon is an injury waiting to happen. I don't think that we've ever really seen him, "healthy," for more than 3 or 4 games straight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
It's Smitty's and TD's fault. :roll:

Quote:
This is still backlash from Thomas D. and Smith not having any depth

Lol. It was only a matter of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am 

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
I never want to see a guy get hurt but I have to say I've never been more sick of a 'move' from a player than Spoon taking out the 'spoon' after he makes a tackle on first or second down. I swear the guy never made an impact stop, just good plays on those first two downs and then did nothing as the opponent picked up a 3rd and long. He was as poor as Worrilow racking up meaningless tackle stats without actually getting the opponent off the field. :doh:

I disagree. I think it's certainly fair to say that Spoon hasn't been "all that" the past two years, but he's still been a productive player. In 2011, he was arguably the league's best 4-3 outside linebacker. In the years since, he's been our best linebacker and a good player for us, just hasn't been anywhere close to that elite level.

Spoon has made plenty of "impact" stops, it's just hard to remember them over the course of a year where the defense is getting gashed left and right, particularly when he wasn't on the field for most of it.

I also think it's silly when people complain about players celebrating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The only celebration I've ever hated is the Superman celebration.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril Wrote" This is still backlash from Thomas D. and Smith not having any depth"

Give me a break, I was not referring to the injury, I'm meaning us now scrambling for a pass rusher from the linebacker position in the 3-4

Their's very few rookies that can come in and start at linebacker in the NFL, without being surrounded by other good linebackers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
Cyril Wrote" This is still backlash from Thomas D. and Smith not having any depth"

Give me a break, I was not referring to the injury, I'm meaning us now scrambling for a pass rusher from the linebacker position in the 3-4

Their's very few rookies that can come in and start at linebacker in the NFL, without being surrounded by other good linebackers.

You're right on the rookie part of it, that's why I see TD bringing in a 3-4 vet or two......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I certainly see that too. I guess I wish they'd done more in free agency,
I mean we all know injuries are part of the game......

I do feel Smith's first 5 years we didn't have our share of injuries, now perhaps the averages are just catching up.

Maybe we'll get lucky with one of our rookies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
This is still backlash from Thomas D. and Smith not having any depth

Depth is great until you have to use it.

- Marv Levy

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:01 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
MarylandFalcon1 wrote:

I disagree. I think it's certainly fair to say that Spoon hasn't been "all that" the past two years, but he's still been a productive player. In 2011, he was arguably the league's best 4-3 outside linebacker. In the years since, he's been our best linebacker and a good player for us, just hasn't been anywhere close to that elite level.

Spoon has made plenty of "impact" stops, it's just hard to remember them over the course of a year where the defense is getting gashed left and right, particularly when he wasn't on the field for most of it.

I also think it's silly when people complain about players celebrating.

really? you don't see a difference between scoring and a 3rd down stop? To me, jumping around after doing your job vs. scoring is a huge difference, and it tells me a lot about the player. just act like you've been there, not like you padded your fantasy stats. :snooty:

sidenote: this all started in 1956 with a huge wr named Homer Jones. Saw a tv show about the history of the TD celebration...He was the first to 'spike' the ball...it's been all downhill since then. Back then, you had to score to act a fool. Now you can do it for holding the long-snap. Get off my lawn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 pm 

fun gus wrote:
really? you don't see a difference between scoring and a 3rd down stop? To me, jumping around after doing your job vs. scoring is a huge difference, and it tells me a lot about the player. just act like you've been there, not like you padded your fantasy stats. :snooty:

Isn't it the height of irony that the people who say "act like you've been there before" are people who have and never will be there? :lol:

Isn't it also funny that people also constantly complain how the game today is the "No fun league" yet also want to control other forms of fun? :lol:

Look celebrating when you're down 30 points is stupid. But if you're in a close game, and you make a good play, why not pose for the crowd? If you're a defensive player, you need the crowd to get it in anyway. You need to play with some passion and some edge, why not dance and pose a little bit. Maybe it spreads to your teammates, maybe it doesn't.

But this idea that you should only pose after scoring a touchdown or on very specific plays is just dumb and arbitrary. It's OK to have a sack dance, but you can't get a dance for a getting a stuff on 1st down? Yeah, that makes TOTAL sense. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:

Isn't it the height of irony that the people who say "act like you've been there before" are people who have and never will be there? :lol: :

Almost as much as those who would decry such hypocrisy as not realizing the guy who coined the term is the same guy on the 'trophy' they would like to hoist?...it was Lombardy who said 'act like you've been there before'..can it really get ANY more ironic then that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mp9j4vwjP8

look, get a game changing sack? go for it. but 2nd down tackle? knock it off. plus, you set yourself up for ridicule if the other team gashes you. it's like Cam drops the ball and a linebacker runs it in the end zone and does the superman pose: does that get the crowd 'into it'? methinks not.

Barry Sanders didn't need this horshesh*t, there is a real football player for you. not 'spork' :whistle:

Last edited by fun gus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:39 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm with Fun Gus here, perhaps a bit more hostile towards some of this stuff. I said earlier that I really hate the superman thing, but having taken some time to think about it, I'm not a fan of many of the, "celebrations," out there.

If you want to do a fist pump, chest bump, spike the ball, do a celebratory leap, or high five, I'm totally cool with those things. Those things don't involve choreography or some silly drawn out process.

But standing around, grabbing your spoons and making a shovel motion to your mouth. That's not a celebration. That's taunting. Same with the Superman shirt grab and Hulk Hogan flexing. Those are not celebratory gestures. Those things are forms of taunting. The Dirty bird, the Icky shake, Snow angels, signing the football with a hidden pen, etc, etc. It's all taunting. If I saw my kid doing any of that crap at a youth game, I'd pull him off of the field.

You get the crowd into the game by playing well, and interacting with the crowd. Rile the crowd up before a big down by waving your arms in the air. Get to the sidelines and hop up on the bench and yell at the crowd. That stuff is fine by me. Matter of fact, I like it when the players try to get us involved. But shoveling food into your mouth is not, "getting the crowd involved." It's simple taunting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:20 pm 

:roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
You need to play with some passion and some edge, why not dance and pose a little bit.

Well if they did it a little less there wouldn't be much said.... I got to agree with Robert and Gus, we don't really need the jumping up and down, banging on your chest for having made a good play. No dancing please, this is a football field.

I'm glad Robert really spelled it out, a fist pump, or something small seems ok, its when it looks like a player planned his 20 second dance or
whatever ahead of time gets me. Score a touchdown and just give the ball back to the ref; is getting so different now the " no dance" is being different too. Your players know when you did good and so do most fans.

Its kinda like Pudge's hand job above, he usually makes great arguments; but that makes him look like he lost, although their are no winners or losers here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:40 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

allowing this

leads to this

which leads to this

Image....

meanwhile,try that 2nd down jump around nonsense with this guy

and you will get a one way ticket outta town

which is why they have some of these

well, at least we got that Califfornia trophy :whistle: