PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/06 ... st-roster/

Post subject: Re: Some analysts say we suck less than Rams, Jags + none ot
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'll even take my homer glasses of and say this with a straight face. That is laughable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Its about right!!

Whopperdog wrote after reading this article

Quote:
I think it is right on the money. TD just completed his 7th draft. He has draft only 2 above average players - Ryan #3 overall and Jones (a king's ransom of picks). Spoon can't stay on the field and Trufant has to have an incomplete as he has only played 1 year. Years and years of bad picks has caught up with us. The best thing TD and Smith have going for them is the woeful history of the franchise where they look good when compared to the past which is what their zealots continue to cling to. The realists among us have been scratching our heads for a while now.

This is where my minority of one has to step up and say " we have Coach Smith the best head coach in Falcon history" now I'm in full agreement he's not Bill B. who can always make the best calls, he's not Shawn Payton who may have better game plans, or any coaches that can put players in better positions.

What Coach Smith understands more than others, is that its a team game; the coaches are analyzed, and with so much national news on the army, I Think his players think like soldiers. He gets them to "cover for each other" besides the money " they play for the team". This is such a hard mission for a coach to keep a group of 22-30 young wealthy
young men to stay together so long!! Its what he's best at in the whole league.

Crap when have we ever been loaded with players?? Abe may have been feared but who else on any of our defenses? Name me an all pro
lineman? Coach Smith has not had an above average line, and one above average running back who was not great!!

I wouldn't say it, but I almost wanted the team to quit last year so we could get Clowney. No we didn't quit.

I unlike most believe Coach Smith gets the most out of Ryan. Those who think Ryan is held back; he is the bedrock of it being a team game.
He doesn't take the glory or the blame, he continues to say we need to get better. You can't have Ryan's record and be held back. Our problem
is we need better players to win in post season, both on the lines on offense; and overall players on defense.

Sure we have bad games but their's a reason we win the close ones over and over and its because our team never gives up on our team!!

It's a shame Coach Smith is tied at the hip with Thomas D. I feel certain
when one goes they both go. Regardless of how close to the truth the article is about our personell; its better than last year, and that's why we'll have a better record and team than last year!!

I've seen about 15 Atlanta Head Coaches and 5 Gms and the Gms always outlast the coaches (usually) and that's bad. It will take Coach Smith one week to get another Head Coaching job in the Nfl. Thomas D. has let us down, and he won't bounce back so quick.

As long as Coach Smith is our Coach we'll have a chance to win especially if we'll EVER find someone who can draft!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff work closely together in matters of personnel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

OK, and I'm sure Coach Smith lets Thomas D. know what positions he feels the need for help, but its the GM that picks the player. If not, then he's not a real GM.

I think its safe to say in general a GM puts the players on a team together,
and the Head Coach is responsible for getting each to play their best over
the course of a season, and to mold the players into a team.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:04 pm 

And it's also the responsibility of the head coach to establish a scheme/identity that makes the players the team acquires better.

Look no further than Brian Robiskie signing last year. That's as much the coach's fault as the GM's. Smitty should have been adamant about getting a guy that can stretch a defense rather than some tall, possession WR that can't separate from man coverage. There's no way that Smitty wanted that and Dimitroff went out and got him Robiskie. Instead, the simple reality is that Smitty either didn't know his team needed such a player (ignorance) or failed at effectively communicating that need to the GM (incompetence).

Also look at the team's OL acquisitions. This offseason's moves suggest a clear shift in the blocking scheme by getting more zone blocking types. If the Falcons blocking scheme still remains man heavy, it's once again the coach failing to communicate his needs/wants/desires/fits to the GM.

Yes, final decision in personnel matters and its responsibility ultimately rests at Dimitroff's feet. But Smith is not absolved of any culpability in this team's poor roster moves the past few years.

I mean, you talk a big game about loving Dunta Robinson's toughness, and then go through an entire two seasons where he probably plays press coverage 5 times. You sign off on the Jones trade under the auspices to get more explosive, and watch 2 different offensive coordinators fail to grow the explosive capability of the offense.

Clearly there is a disconnect somewhere along the way, and whether it's from Smith himself, as the head coach, he clearly is the guy responsible for solving it.

If he cannot, then it doesn't matter how much toughness and discipline he brings to the team, he's not capable of getting the job done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:50 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

:lol: ROBISKIE!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge Wrote
Quote:
Yes, final decision in personnel matters and its responsibility ultimately rests at Dimitroff's feet. But Smith is not absolved of any culpability in this team's poor roster moves the past few years

Lets not think everyone didn't know we needed receivers; I
always figured Thomas D. didn't want to give up a #2 or 3 pick for someone your describing; when he could see the season was going down the drain. Hindsight is 20/20 when you name off people we could have gotten.

LOOK maybe we should blame the city of Atlanta for 45 years of mostly terrible NFL football?

We could blame you and me, but you'd blame me because you weren't born when this stuff started. (:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

OK, if you want my honest answer from last December here is a partial
post putting plenty of Blame on Coach Smith

Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Quote:
From the day Tony G. was given the luxury to sit home while everyone else had to be at work,
I put that on Coach Smith and said so the day I realized it.

Pudge you've never said what you would give up and what kinda of caliber of receiver we'd get and how much we could afford to pay?? Who's giving up someone good in week 4??

Well at least I said all this before a game was played. Anyone who didn't like my analyst when I said 6-10 and later explained why before the season could have spoke up....

Its simple to say its all on the coaches half way through the season..... Everyone knows but you Pudge that Holmes & Konz were terrible the first couple of starts; and G. Reynolds; I guess we don't have don't a great running game because S. Jackson is terrible. Is he worse than Turner was who SUPPOSE to be the worst back in history??

As to the defense I just said once again we don't have a pass rusher, nor did we have the 2 other starters except Spoon. "I've laid this on Coach Smith and Thomas D." but once we were in week 5 you wanted some magic change when the tone had already been set and we had no receivers and no running game and no one rushing the passer. Sure Matt Ryan use to do better but with a better line. Without two defensive ends or pass rush we're screwed there too. Its real convenient to love the coaches for 5 winning season's and then just diss them halfway through a terrible season.

So you believe the O-LINE has nothing to do with our poor running game; that our injuries to to Roddy & Julio could have been over come; and now you believe that good coaches just forget how to coach?? In Fact I think losing Julio was no worse than losing Roddy because he's who moved the chains. With both out Ryan turned rather average unlike what most top ten Qbs would have done.

Quote:
Well as I SAID A COUPLE OF TIMES Coach Smith should have screamed his head off; and you thought going 0-4 in preseason with our starters sucking also meant nothing......

The Coaches started with too many untested positions open; then the injuries killed us. Your saying what anyone could say half way through the season when in fact even in week two you had revised a little but thought we would make the playoffs.

Cyril Wrote today in early June 2014 the above paragraph should have said Coach Smith started with too many untested position open!!

Ps. Sorry for any " shots taken " in this post back in December, I think we were both jazzed up over our sorry ass season. Their's plenty of blame to go around. Its very possible Blank gets his 5th new head Coach in this his 13th or 14th season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm pretty sure reading this article lowered my IQ through osmosis. We are no where near the bottom 3, and for that matter neither are the Rams. Has this guy ever heard of the AFC East (minus NE of course) the Raiders, Lions, Browns, Titans................. and those are just the super obvious ones