It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falcons
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:24 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
I know many don't like him, but our problems come from our Gm.


Atlanta’s players are led by Coach Smith, the fiery head coach who in 2012 became the first coach in franchise history to reach 50 wins – and the third fastest since the NFL merger in 1970 to reach 50 wins – accomplishing the feat in 71 games. Smith is a three-time Coach of the Year winner from Sporting News (2008, 2010, and 2012) and a two-time Coach of the Year recipient from the prestigious KC 101 Club following the 2008 and 2010 seasons. His 56-24 regular season record is the fifth-best mark in the NFL since 2008.

Smith’s 56 wins in his first five seasons are also the second-most among any first time head coach in NFL history, behind only George Seifert (San Francisco, 62-18, 1989-1993). Aided by core principles built around playing fundamentally sound football in all three phases of the game, since 2008 the Falcons have posted a 44-2 record in games where they lead at halftime, and a 42-1 record in contests where they hold the lead at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Blank needs a new GM not a different coach!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:21 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4260
Coach Smith has done a very good job. However, I don't believe that his style of play is conducive to winning a Superbowl in the modern era. Based on track record, it appears as though Smith's gameplan on any given Sunday is to pound the rock, keep the game close, and execute late in the game to come away with the win. I think that approach works fine for teams that are not playoff teams. But I think that approach makes it too hard to win the big games in this league. (our playoff record is indicative of this.)

I also agree that TD is a bigger issue than Smith is. TD's job is to know and understand what Smith needs to make his game plans successful. From where I'm standing, in many respects, he has done the polar opposite.

No one can take away what TD, Smith, and Ryan have accomplished in their short time here. That said, I think that the trio has taken us about as far as they are capable of taking us. Ryan will be our QB for a long time. Smith and TD should both be on the hot seat this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:04 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 487
Location: Vacaville, CA
[The following should be seen as my opinion, one gained from enjoying watching ATL and not having the time to research every darn thing I post; some of us do not have lives conducive to this.]

While I do agree with Pudge that ATL needs to be a bit more explosive, they also have to work with what Ryan brings to the table as a passer. The idea that there's one way to be successful in the NFL is a bit naive (I'm not suggesting anyone here is, though): ATL needs to execute its philosophy in a manner that can impose their will on other teams. If that's being solid on O and D to the point that they can consistently outscore most teams, that's fine. If that means blowing teams out, that's fine. The issue is trying to force the personnel into positions where they cannot be successful.

Ryan's deep ball and the power run game are good examples of this. While the philosophy might be there, Ryan simply lacks the arm strength (and the time, last year) to consistently make deep throws as we are accustomed to thinking of them. The strength of the ATL game are his short-to-intermediate passes based on timing and the receivers' ability to get the ball at places that the D cannot (Julio's leaps, Roddy's body positioning on the sidelines).

TD and MS started off on the same page, but have divorced over the last few seasons, stating with the acquisition of Jones in response to the loss by the Packers. ATL moved away from MS and MR's comfort zones and started modelling themselves after things that they simply aren't: they aren't a vertical team, and they weren't a 3-4 multiple D.

Ryan's version of the deep ball will be a lot more successful if ATL can draw defenders up to the ball enough so that a streaking JJ or DH can take advantage of a single defender to run under a pass that Ryan threw almost immediately. When Ryan has to wait to throw a deep ball, the receivers invariably are having to wait and come back for a contested jump ball. That doesn't mean that they cannot be explosive, but it means that they have to be explosive in a manner that works for their personnel, and they've had trouble with this. With a stronger, more consistent (please please please) OL and a better run game, they should be in a better position to do this. They were not with the complete garbage that they started at C, RG, and RT last year. If this works better this year, I think we can say that MS and TD have ameliorated the differences.

Similarly, we have heard from the get-go that MN prefers 10 guys with 4 sacks than 4 guys with 10 sacks. With a healthy and effective front seven last year, this may have been a viable idea. Unfortunately, the front seven was anything but this last year; having your two defensive leaders out for most of the year likely made pre-snap adjustments nigh impossible, so ATL had to rely on overwhelming and winning the one-on-one battles, which it really wasn't suited to. Having three really powerful guys occupying the entire defensive line gives ATL a lot more opportunity to send rushers who are unblocked because of the flow of the play rather than because they beat their man. This also bodes well for their philosophy.

Injuries are tough to account for, even with 53 players. However, ATL seems to be in a better position this year. While some may look at the roster and say "but some of these schleps are still here!" they miss that a lot of them are now depth, not starters, which is where a lot of them should be.

There was far too much thinking that they needed to "win one this year" last year, instead of continuing the normal progression of the development of the team last year, and may have been too much the year before. if they should have learned anything from that year, it was that MS's philosophy has to adjust for the differing rules of the playoffs (expecting penalties to be called as they were, not realizing the redoubled effort of teams in do-or-die situations).

In a nutshell, it's a bit of both. Now that Tony's gone, I expect to have a better idea of whether or not MS and TD can execute their philosophies in a meaningful way. If they cannot--if the D still cannot get pressure or get off the field, if the opposing D can still sell out against the short pass and laugh at the run--they both need to go. TD and Smith have been the best pair ATL has ever had, without question. However, they've lost some contact with each other and the realities of their personnel , and that needs to change if they are going to be successful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:42 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3139
Quote:
Smith’s 56 wins in his first five seasons are also the second-most among any first time head coach in NFL history, behind only George Seifert (San Francisco, 62-18, 1989-1993). Aided by core principles built around playing fundamentally sound football in all three phases of the game, since 2008 the Falcons have posted a 44-2 record in games where they lead at halftime, and a 42-1 record in contests where they hold the lead at the beginning of the fourth quarter


No one wants to here good stories Cyril! It's gotta be doom and gloom, remember. A bunch of crotchety old ladies on here who just complain to hear themselves complain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:50 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
I want to be able to write good stories and don't care if everyone disagrees!! I do believe Smith does very well with the players he's given, unfortunately lately those players have been average or below!!


samedi- this is not necessary- [The following should be seen as my opinion, one gained from enjoying watching ATL and not having the time to research every darn thing I post; some of us do not have lives conducive to this.] Their all opinions!!

" ATL needs to execute its philosophy in a manner that can impose their will on other teams."

YES all of the best teams should try to execute like this, its just The Falcons don't have the players IMO. I agree the offense should be a little better but I still can't see a running game.

Its the defense that's gonna kill them!! No real good defensive linemen or
linebackers. With that defense they'll outscore about half of their teams, but good teams will eat them alive, is my opinion.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:59 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 487
Location: Vacaville, CA
Cyril wrote:
samedi- this is not necessary- [The following should be seen as my opinion, one gained from enjoying watching ATL and not having the time to research every darn thing I post; some of us do not have lives conducive to this.] Their all opinions!!


Thank you for the feedback.

I teach high school English, and get used to addressing multiple audiences with one topic. I certainly agree with you, though I also do enjoy that some folks on here have the time and skill to express those opinions with a lot of data that I don't have time to research. However, I also appreciate--and I think this has overlooked in a few board posts lately--that regardless of our opinions, they are opinions, and are not expected to be read as gospel. I wanted to be clear about that without creating a new post and without directly replying to anyone.

I really enjoy coming here and reading the diversity of posts and opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them.

Thank you for contributing to the diversity of the board :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:10 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4992
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
Smith’s 56 wins in his first five seasons are also the second-most among any first time head coach in NFL history, behind only George Seifert (San Francisco, 62-18, 1989-1993). Aided by core principles built around playing fundamentally sound football in all three phases of the game, since 2008 the Falcons have posted a 44-2 record in games where they lead at halftime, and a 42-1 record in contests where they hold the lead at the beginning of the fourth quarter


No one wants to here good stories Cyril! It's gotta be doom and gloom, remember. A bunch of crotchety old ladies on here who just complain to hear themselves complain.



Image

guess, what HappyToilet. I will continue to be a crotchety old b*tch until the day we got one of these.

Image

hey. I am glad the new husband is not beating you as bad as the old one. But, I am eight year's funding this particular regime's underwhelmness. Yay, we get to the playoffs! Boo, we always lose ( see:Braves )

Im smart, though, after the stadium grab, I am 'out'. I'll get freebies and single game tickets and I will watch from afar, or a bar.

Playoff win. or playoff appearance. bar is set. :naughty:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25938
Location: North Carolina
Cyril wrote:
Smith is a three-time Coach of the Year winner from Sporting News (2008, 2010, and 2012) and a two-time Coach of the Year recipient from the prestigious KC 101 Club following the 2008 and 2010 seasons.

It's become abundantly clear that these facts coupled with the fact that Ron Rivera won COY for both groups this past year indicate this award is less meaningful as being the long snapper on a Pro Bowl team.

samedi wrote:
With a stronger, more consistent (please please please) OL and a better run game, they should be in a better position to do this.

I agree. Given their QB, the Falcons identity should be a strong running game featuring a lot of play-action vertical passing. That would be the best way to maximize the talents of Ryan and Julio in this offense. The problem is that they won't get that strong running game without continued improvements to the OL, and probably a switch to a zone-blocking scheme. None of their starting 5 are power blockers. Baker and Asamoah are zone blocking guys, as is Hawley. Matthews probably would fit better in that scheme than a man blocking one too because he's by no means a road grader. Blalock is your best "power blocker" and we have a 7-year body of work that says he's mostly average in that regard.

Given that they have invested in smaller, quicker RBs like Quizz & Freeman, that would ideally be zone runners, this makes sense. But we'll see if the team continues to try and stress the power runs this year and beyond.

Also the team should NOT be investing in smaller, dink/dunk slot receivers and instead be targeting bigger WRs that can work in a play-action offense.

This is why I am complaining AJ51, because I believe given our personnel, what I just mentioned is the right way to build. But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps they have another plan/method/path.

Which is fine, because as samedi said there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. But what is that way? Their OL/RB additions suggest they are going to be more of a zone blocking team this year, which is a very sudden change because it was just last year that they were signing 330 pound OTs (Terren Jones) who are very poor fits in that scheme. So we have to assume one of the following:

1) Falcons made the decision in the last 6 months (since elevating Jones to the active roster) to switch to a zone heavy blocking scheme after spending 6 years doing the opposite
2) Falcons aren't moving to zone heavy blocking scheme, and are just acquiring the wrong players for a man blocking scheme

Neither development is a good sign.

This is why there is a firm glass ceiling on how good this team can be. Playoff team? Sure, but Super Bowl winner? Not with this level of confusion in the front office and on the sideline.

They're just kinda of twisting in the wind with no real plan other than to stumble around and hope that everything falls into place.

samedi wrote:
. Unfortunately, the front seven was anything but this last year; having your two defensive leaders out for most of the year likely made pre-snap adjustments nigh impossible, so ATL had to rely on overwhelming and winning the one-on-one battles, which it really wasn't suited to.

Two defensive leaders? One is clearly Spoon. Who is the other? Kroy? Asante? If you're referring to Kroy... :rofl: :rofl:

If Kroy is one of our defensive leaders, that's our problem in a nutshell.

Asante wasn't out, he was benched. They forced him out.

Unless you're talking about Abe, and he too was forced out.

The 2013 Falcons defense…cause of death: self-inflicted gunshot to the cranium.

samedi wrote:
Injuries are tough to account for, even with 53 players.

I disagree. I think they're easy to account for, just assume they will happen and build accordingly. (unfortunately that only fuels fun gus' paranoia)

Bring in low-level free agents at key positions, take them through OTAs even if you know the chances that they actually make the roster is slim. That way if you do have an injury during the season, then there is a veteran player that already is intimately familiar with your schemes that can potentially be picked up off the street.


But for the most part, samedi spot on analysis. :up:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:22 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
Cyril wrote:
"Smith is a three-time Coach of the Year winner from Sporting News (2008, 2010, and 2012) and a two-time Coach of the Year recipient from the prestigious KC 101 Club following the 2008 and 2010 seasons".

Pudge Wrote:
It's become abundantly clear that these facts coupled with the fact that Ron Rivera won COY for both groups this past year indicate this award is less meaningful as being the long snapper on a Pro Bowl team.

NAW Its more meaningful than being the long snapper!! (:

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach Smith has really done a very good job for the Falc
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
Samedi wrote:
I really enjoy coming here and reading the diversity of posts and opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them.

Thank you for contributing to the diversity of the board

Thanks, I was just trying to say write what you feel, regardless of your posts you'll learn a lot here..... You'll also get slammed some when you don't deserve it; but that's what happens anytime you deal with 50-80 people (: and we all think we should be Gms (:

Not all disagreements are harsh and I really learn a lot from them.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron