It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think...
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm 

...my strategy for the Falcons going into this draft is as follows. Target the following players in order: Robinson, Matthews, Clowney, Mack. Do not trade up more than 1 or 2 spots to get any of the players above. If none of the 4 players above make it to 6 and no palatable deal is out there to move up to 5 or 4 for one of those 4 players. trade down to the middle of the 1st round and accumulate picks.

That is all.

Post subject: Re: I think...
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:27 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I agree except for Mathews. I wouldn't trade for Mathews, but would pick him if he is there at 6. I might have to think long and hard about Watkins if he is still on the board though.

If all of those players are off the board, then I would tell all of the QB needy teams that TB will take Manziel at 7 so they better ante up.

One other thing on trading up to 1 for Clowney. I have been thinking it would be better to let the Texans select Clowney then make a trade. If they don't select him, then the Falcons could potentially give up less to STL or JAX. Probably me over analyzing this.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Trade up if it's less than they expect: there's so much talent in the top 6 that you really cannot go wrong with any of the picks. If a QB comes off the board in front of ATL, there's no need to move.

Trade down if it's a really good offer. Picking up a few trash picks isn't meaningful, but an extra 2nd or so would be helpful. If last year taught us anything, its that you can get a good player in the early 20s.

For the love of everything, don't say "we have to have this guy." If you cannot win without the one guy you have to have, you aren't diverse enough to survive. Which is why I think this will be comrade's last year here. ATL becomes far too focused on some players, which is why they overdraft after round 2, and it's killing them. That said, I'm happy to be wrong about this when ATL drafts well (enough) and they're back in the NFCCG this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:11 pm 

I think there is a strong possibility that Watkins and/or Manziel come off the board before our pick.

If that does happen we are almost guaranteed one of the "Big 4" as it where. Another reason you don't really want to move up because it seems likely that one of the "Big 4" will be there. Assumption is that guy will be Matthews but it could be just as easily Clowney or Robinson. I don't think Mack gets past Oakland.

The wild card always remains someone else trading up into the Top-5 not named Atlanta.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:02 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Good calls, guys. :up:

Profile E-mail