It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Between Now And The Season Opener
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We'VE JUST GOT TO FIND A PASS RUSHER. I don't care if its a veteran who's best play may be behind him, or somewhere else. I never expected
to get it in the draft, but I expected this to be slightly addressed before the draft.

I don't believe you can win without a respectable pass rush!! The years we were winning Abe was getting up to 7-12 sacks on his own.

Post subject: Re: Between Now And The Season Opener
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:26 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Maybe.

We should bring in a proven pass rusher that gets released (if there are any..).

Although I'm thinking we're betting the farm on Worrilow, Spoon, Bartu, Maponga, Goodman, Massaquoi, & Replogle continuing to develop into solid++ pass rushers to complement Osi, Biermann, Peters and Babs along with hoping to hit a home run on Hageman or on one of the LB's.

When you look at the number of promising young guys that can still develop into what we need, plus what we just drafted, the idea that we still didn't find what we're looking for is absurd (or we really can't draft and/or develop for s***).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:42 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Frankly, I don't know what the hell this team is doing. We needed to get, "tougher," on the lines, so we drafted an OT and DT. We drafted 4 LBs, and none of them are, "pass rushers." We picked up some aging linemen in free agency, and didn't bother to draft anyone to develop behind them. (Don't tell me that we're, "fine," at guard after Blalock and Asamoah.)

We could really use another WR, and we passed (repeatedly) on Ellington and Bryant. After our first pick, we drafted projects and special teamers. I just don't get WTF this team is doing. Four freaking linebackers.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:34 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

They needed 4 LBs: it's a 3-4 and they had 6 on roster, including 3 guys who might not fit perfectly. And 2 of the draftees are OLBs.

They needed a RT with the ability to replsce Baker if--though I'd say when--it comes to that.

While Solai is a little older, both Jackson and Asomoah are in their primes, and there are plenty of guys behind both positions.

It's not the greatest draft imaginable, but that stopped at pick 5; it's certainly not a disaster, nor does it seem confusing--to me at least, though I get that the lack of clear-cut olb and s canidates is frustrating; however, they really weren't there.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:04 pm 

Well the draft is over for another year. My impressions of the Falcon draft questionable. I understand why the players were taken yet were they the right players to be selected? This is going to be a boom or bust draft and usually it will be between the middle with teams. For a draft to be successful the Falcs need at least 2 starters to become above average and playmakers. We certainly have one in Mathews but the big question can Hageman produce like he is capable? So far in college he runs hot and cold. Can Bryan Cox get the best out of him. The kid only had 2 sacks last year I believe. He looks impressive on tape but then again those are highlights and from what I have read disappears way to much.

The 3rd round selection Desmond Southward was a shock. I hope the Falcons are right drafting him in the 3rd round. I think he could have been had in the 4th round to tell you the truth. The kids as great measurables but doesn't seem to have great instincts locating the ball. Isn't that what you want in your safety instincts to find the ball? He's another boom or bust player.

The 4 linebackers taken none had over 5 sacks last year. We are supposed to depend on them to be the pass rushers the team desperately needs. No, that will be up to Biermann and Osi but depending on a guy coming off injury and Osi running hot and cold is a dangerous game.

Hageman will play a lot of def end in the new 3-4 alignment and the Falcs should get push from the middle. Can our olbs put pressure on the QB from the outside?

I have my doubts about this draft while others seem to see it with rose colored glasses. What I see on offense is the following:

No tight end to catch balls meaning Toilio and Pascoe will be mainly blocking tight ends with an occasional catch. It means Harry Douglas will have to be more prominent in the passing game and frankly I don't think he can play better than last year. Also the fact he isn't a clutch pass catcher which Tony G was.

The running game will have to be more important. Controlling the clock becomes more evident. This kind of game where dink dunk catches and running the ball like we did in 2008 seems to be where the offense is headed. Will have an occasional big play to JJ but explosiveness where is it.

Having a dink dunk offense and controlling the ball means the defense will be counted on to hold the opponent. I'm not sure the defense can do it. The plan backfires against teams that have a good defense and explosive offense since the Falcons can get to far behind in points and not have the ability to catch up.

Matt Ryan will miss Tony G because he was a big target. Toilio is big at 6 ft 8 but can he be relied on caching the ball a lot, I doubt it.

If JJ or White go down and can't play whose going to replace them? Hester? Johnson? The Falcons made no attempt in finding another burner or develop a young player.

I want to believe this group of draftees will turn the table and solve a lot of defensive problems but depending on so many IFS plus the old guard of Biermann and Osi being the main pass rushers just doesn't sit well with me. Lets hope Hageman and our def tackle can put pressure up the middle because if they can't we are in huge trouble. As Pudge suggested Jackson and Soliai are more 2 down players in a passing game so who defends when it comes to 3rd and a passing game?

My overall view is the Falcons will be very good at stopping the run but will get torched in passing situations. It stands to reason in a passing league you have to have pass rushers and I just don't see enough of it with the Falcons. The Falcon offense better be very good because the defense will give up many points through the air.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yea the Falcons won't have a pass rush just like last year!! Sure we want to think that they will but it takes very good players to have say 7 sack season's.

We can always get guys who can have one or two sacks over 16 games. That doesn't cut it.... Its not really the draft, their are players to be had from different teams that are let go because of salary and lack of production against the run. Some of those guys can be put in on third downs and make a difference.

The front office seems to think we really had a good team last year; we've
not done nearly enough to make a big difference between this year and last year.... I know most of you guys think this team can be good; but when you don't have solid players on the line you can forget about it....
Maybe we win two more than last year!!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Nuccah wrote:
We should bring in a proven pass rusher that gets released (if there are any..).

The Falcons scour the waiver wire for upgrades at the end of camp?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Remember how they went into last season with Peria Jerry as a starter and could've picked up Clinton McDonald from Seattle who was younger and better and more versatile?. :rofl:

The only hope of that is if the team suffers injuries and guys like Osi and/or Massaquoi just look downright horrendous. The Falcons have shown they'll make a move to secure a body in the secondary if guys have a rough summer (e.g. Brian Williams, Foxworth, James Sanders), the rest of the roster? :snooty:

Profile E-mail