It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spoon's knee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Should we be concerned? Modern medicine has a lot of players coming back at 100% and relatively fast. Maybe I'm being the typical pessimistic Falcons fan.....?

Quote:
NBC Sports reports Atlanta Falcons LB Sean Weatherspoon missed seven games in 2013 with a foot injury that put him on injured reserve for half the season and then he missed the final two weeks of the season after hurting his right knee. Weatherspoon didn’t need surgery, but he had platelet rich plasma therapy and said that the team is easing him back into the mix because he hasn’t fully recovered from the knee injury at this point. “I’m feeling good. It’s been a process,” Weatherspoon said, via ESPN.com. “The season was rough. I’ve been feeling pretty good, though. I’ve been working with the training staff non-stop, about four or five days a week. Just been getting after it, doing whatever I can do to get my body feeling good so I can, you know, get back to where I’m feeling where I’m at my top [form]. … I feel, I would say, probably 80 percent. I’m working hard and just looking forward to getting back to 100 [percent].”

Post subject: Re: Spoon's knee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Spoon is an injury waiting to happen. Unfortunately, so are Julio Jones, Sam Baker, and Peria Jerry. Thomas Dimitroff's only 1st round pick that hasn't turned out to be injury prone is Matt Ryan. (Though Trufant seems to be doing ok so far)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yes, there should be concern. Should there be worry? Meh, I'd wait until August/September before I got worried. And don't forget if we get Jadeveon Clowney, he'll cover up any and all the flaws at our linebacker position.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If he's 80% now he should be fine by opening day, and I'm no more worried about him than any one else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:20 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 pm 

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that Weatherspoon is gone after this season. Dude hasn't lived up to expectations and he's been dinged up. Despite that he's still going to command top dollar to resign... It's Curtis Lofton all over again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nope, I think the jury is out on Spoon. You might be right but playing hurt
is no where close to playing "injury free"

BTW I was one of the few who thought Curtis Loften was fine. We just kept elevating his status and paying him too much!! I don't even want to remember our linebackers from last year!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:57 pm 

Unlike Curtis Lofton, Spoon often makes an impact on games.

But unlike several other players, Spoon has not benefited at all from Mike Nolan taking over the defense. In 2011, Spoon was arguably the best "true" 4-3 OLB in the league. Unfortunately Lavonte David has taken that title the past two years.

By saying "true" it eliminates Von Miller from the argument since he plays a lot as a DE in their sub packages.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
Yes, there should be concern. Should there be worry? Meh, I'd wait until August/September before I got worried. And don't forget if we get Jadeveon Clowney, he'll cover up any and all the flaws at our linebacker position.

:lol:

I don't think Spoon makes a whole lot more impact plays than Curtis did but, as usual with me, it is based on a faltering memory and largely anecdotal. I think they are both good not great players. Ironic that we have let the "greatest" d players of the last decade walk (Grimes, Abe) while hanging on to guys like Biermann, Spoon who are "good."

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:41 am 

Again, the past two years, there haven't been that many impact plays.

And sure in terms of impact players like interceptions, forced fumbles and sacks, there aren't that many for Spoon. But in terms of making a critical 2-yard stop on a 3rd & 4, and tackling a ballcarrier for a -1 yard gain on 1st & 10, in 2011 he made those sorts of plays ALL THE TIME. Lofton rarely did.

Spoon isn't doing his trademark celebration after routine tackles. He's mostly doing it after he makes a good play. So anecdotally if you can think back to all the times you've seen him do that over the years, then you know his level of impact.

The hope is that 2012 can be passed off as a year where Spoon was forced to cover up for the mistakes of Akeem Dent and having to take on way too many blockers. 2013 can be passed off as a year marred by injury. So hopefully in 2014 with Soliai & Jackson up front and a healthy year, we'll start to see things fall into place for him and he'll start to be the Spoon of 2011.

Profile E-mail