It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you trade up for Mack at 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:51 pm 

Since the focus has been on Clowney trading up to get him if the Falcons don't trade up for him would you be willing to trade up to get Mack. Having such few pass rushers that are ready for the pro game I think Mack is a possibility. Clowney may be the best pass rusher however I like Mack's leadership abilities, ability to cover tight ends and his pass rush skills. What the compensation will be to move up to 2 should not be nearly as much as no1. Clowney gets much of the pub but Mack and Aaron Donald might be the 2 other players that make the greatest impact and career.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Would you trade up for Mack at 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If they would take a deal that would allow us to keep our first two picks I wouldn't be opposed to such a move.

I know I am probably going to be run off the boards for this. I agree with the talking heads that Clowney and Mack are way more pro ready than Barr but at the same time I don't expect the Falcons to be competing for a championship for at least two more years. That should be enough time for him to grow as a defensive player especially with the likes of coach Nolan & Cox showing him the way. This way we could get the pass rusher of the future and keep the remaining picks and come away with three day one starters.

Last edited by The Mattural on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Drafted pass rushers almost never make an immediate impact. I doubt that Clowney or Mack will be an exception. The talent is better, the game is faster, and the pressure to perform as a first round draft pick all conspire against them being very good in their first year.

That said, I would not trade up for Mack. The Falcons will have very solid options available to us at #6. We should also have some possibility of trading down to try to acquire more picks. (And unless Mack, Robinson, or Matthews are there at #6, I would be hoping/praying for us to make a trade down)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

No. I'm sure that Mack will be a fine player. Maybe even an all-pro one day. But it would be a high price to pay to get just as good a player at 6, even though the player may play another position. (OT)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am 

I'm still in the Matthews/Robinson camp or trading down in this draft. Atlanta still has enough holes to fill it merits picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. Maybe a 1st or 2nd round pick next year.

Atlanta does need some elite pass rushers but I think that commodity can be found in other areas of the draft. The Falcons do have an opportunity to grab a rare commodity that can only be had at the top of the draft that is a franchise LT. One of a few positions that can typically only be found in the top part of the 1st round.

If you don't go OT :beef: trade down and add picks.