It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is This What TD Is Thinking To Trade Up For Clowney
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 pm 

If Clowney is indeed the player people think he is a trade up for him might not be as costly as thought. It will probably take the falcs 1st rounder, this yrs 2nd and next yrs 2nd.Now here me out since this is what I think TD is thinking. The defense as currently constructed adding Clowney you have Jackson,Soliali,Babs,Peters and Biermann,Osi coming back.Clowney's main purpose is to rush the QB so even if he plays 3-4 he won't be covering tight ends.

Falcons give up their 2nd round pick. This is a deep draft so whether you go safety,tight end, receiver, running back if TD sees a player he really wants he can trade up from the 3rd round into the 2nd round mid to late. He can still get a very good player if trading up or he can stay and get a good player with no3 pick. Falcs have 2 4th round picks which can be used for other areas of need.

Summary, yes we lose the 2nd round pick which should be a good player this year and next year but are we losing an extraordinary amount in the long run if Clowney becomes one of the elte pass rushers in the game? Also the 2nd rounder in terms of talent the Falcs can sign a free agent to make up the talent.

This isn't how I feel but how I think TD might be thinking.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is This What TD Is Thinking To Trade Up For Clowney
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You might be correct. Hopefully TD isn't thinking this. I cannot stress enough how important 1st and 2nd round picks are. Teams that are successful make the most of those picks. Trading them away to get one guy is not how successful teams are built.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think it would take more than that!! We wouldn't be giving up a #1 because we'd be using it on Clowney.

Yes using two number 2s to get Clowney I think is a small sum to pay. Clowney has the reputation that he might be very good to great, we need someone at that position.

Our last #2 was Peter Konz and he's talking about getting better,since he sucked last year.... I rarely see players who were as poor as Konz was last year; really get good enough to make a difference. TD has a terrible record drafting linemen, he doesn't like to do it; and what he's done so far has fairly much been very bad!!

I'd bet a lot it would take more than two number 2s..... The Falcons were saying today they might even trade for more picks..... The info they've given out is in all forms contrary. I still think they want Clowney
and have maybe let others know they want him to where his price gets raised?

Two number 2s is as good as we'll get, IMO!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:21 pm 

I am on board for drafting Clowney. When you look at past drafts how many 2nd rounders do Gms hit on? I am talking about solid starters? How long have we needed a def end but could never get one because the Falcons drafted to low? A good defense is setup with a good pass rush. Clowney will make the other players that much better since other offenses will have to know where he is at all times and will take at least 2 blockers. A lot of Falcon fans are viewing giving up draft picks as a short term solution. What I mean is the Falcons could very well end miss on the extra picks any way if they don't trade up. while Clowney becomes one of he best pass rushers in the game. Clowney may not live up to the hype but like Michael Jordan in thre NBA do you really want to second guess yourself if Clowney does become one of the best in the game and you didn't take that chance. Sure we have holes on the Falcons but the best way to get better for next year since we don't have the picks is to sign some free agents. Just like this year the Falcons didn't break the bank and got a def tackle and def end. Now I do question getting Jackson and would much rather have Lamar Houston or Soliali not able to play more than 2 downs.

Watching Path to the draft they talked about Reggie White. No matter how many players were blocking White,White would disrupt the play. He may play 72 plays in a game but he would make an impact on half of those plays. You don't win championships without premier players. Having more draft picks gives you an increased chance of picking more quality players but it doesn't guarantee you drafting the right players. We could have Clowney for 8-10 years so missing some draft picks this year and next isn't going to be that big of a deal IF Clowney becomes a star player. If he doesn't and becomes good we still have a pass rusher which is more than we can say for how many drafts now. I would take the risk if it's the right deal in terms of picks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The problem isn't specifically, "this year." The problem is that this is how we do business. We made a similar move 3 years ago that cost us the better part of two drafts. With one year in between, we're considering doing it again. How did it work out for us the first time?

If we continue this routine, we will have two first round picks, and two second round pick every three years. Over 6 years, that's 4 first rounders, and 4 second rounders. (compared to 6 first rounders and 6 second rounders that other teams are getting) Other teams are getting 33% more first and 2nd round picks than we are. That's a recipe for failure.

The fact that Dimitroff sucks at drafting is another argument. If he was worth a damn, he wouldn't need to make these types of deals every 3 years to stay relevant.

Look, I know that you guys are excited at the prospect of getting the, "best player," in the draft, but this isn't the way to build a successful team.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 pm 

Draft picks that have worked out .....Ryan,JJ, Trufant

Draft picks that have underperformed Baker,Jerry, Spoon,Konz

Alford is questionable if he'll be a starter or backup. Now how many of these players are among the best in the league. I am talking star potential? JJ,Trufant and possibly Ryan. Why I say possible on Ryan the Falcons have only one playoff win during his tenure. He is better than most but not considered among the best in the game. I know you probably disagree Robert based on the thread we had this discussion. The point is who on defense is a star player besides a corner. The Falcons keep their 6 pick and draft a off lineman there is a decent chance round 2 if its a olb may not work out well. You have to have a defense if you want to go far in the playoffs. Def ends don't grow on trees. Yes the Falcons need to protect Ryan but why does it have to be the Falcons first pick to find someone. If some how the Falcons can keep their 2nd rounder or keep their 3rd rounder they could at least find a right tackle better than what we have. If it happened this way then the Falcons satisfy their pass rush and off line in the same draft. Worry about left tackle next year. Baker is iffy I understand that so could still find a left tackle in free agency if it came to that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The problem isn't specifically, "this year." The problem is that this is how we do business. We made a similar move 3 years ago that cost us the better part of two drafts. With one year in between, we're considering doing it again. How did it work out for us the first time?

Well the first time I think the jury is still out on the Julio trade. Without him who are we? I understand he must not stay hurt, but he still may end up being one of the best in the league.

My point is I don't think this is close to the same as the Julio trade unless
Thomas D. gives up a lot of picks. and other No. 1s........ I think you have to look at Thomas D.s work over all his years here. We traded a #2 a fairly top pick, yet no one says what a great trade we made for Tony G.
and that move was "great" and wasn't a short two year band aid as
many said at the time.

I think every year is different; I don't think their's anything wrong with
"doing business" a little different any year. Heck I wish he'd get us another "Turner" rather than a running back in his 7th or 8th year who has never been on a winning team. Maybe their's a reason S. Jackson has never been on a winning team?? I mean I doubt that, but look what Tony brought to the locker room and what can Jackson bring?
I would have loved Tennessee's back!!

My bottom line is I think you need to be flexible at any given time.
" Ryan was a risky pick" when we took him but everyone forgets that.

We're speculating way too much for something that hasn't happened yet. As with most things we're remembering the bad but forgetting the
good. Julio was not a bad trade, at least not yet.....

I've not predicted great things for this years team but my attitude would change with a pass rusher if we don't give up any #1s next year or any other year!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:24 pm 

thescout wrote:
Draft picks that have worked out .....Ryan,JJ, Trufant

Draft picks that have underperformed Baker,Jerry, Spoon,Konz

You can move Jerry & Konz into firm bust territory. I'm on the edge of putting Baker into the bust category as well.

Spoon isn't a complete loss but he hasn't been anywhere near what everyone expected him to be either.