It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm thinking tight end could be the Falcs 2nd rounder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm 

I'm thinking if the Falcons go OT at 6 then tight end is a possibility in the 2nd. Ask yourself the question what is deeper in this draft olb or tight end? I count about 10 olbs that could have an impact vs 3 tight ends (Amaro,Ebron, ASJ). The Falcon draft could look like this

1. Mathews/Robinson
2. Amaro,ASJ
3. Smith, Van Noy,Murphy,Bradford etc etc

Why not trade back up in the 2nd and get an olb and draft a tight end with the first 2nd rounder? I say this because of the depth at olb.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I'm thinking tight end could be the Falcs 2nd rounder
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm not opposed to the idea. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's something left for us at OLB in the 3rd. We're picking 6th after all. I also wouldn't be opposed to trading back into the second. Nor would I be opposed to trading our late picks to move back into the 3rd. (I am opposed to giving up picks in the first three rounds, but adding more would be great)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We need defense gentlemen. Get a stop gap veteran TE for to hold down the fort for a year or two. A TE is not going to make or break us. Defense is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm 

We need defense but if you have a cluster of olbs there should be one available round 3. Falcons lose Gonzo and need a Gronkowski type of player (ASJ) .I'm not sure about Amaro slow 40 time. I wouldn't be shocked if the Falcs traded up to 4 and insure themselves of getting one of the top player. Lewan I'm not nearly as high on s Robinson/Mathews.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:10 am 

The other thing about the Clowney trade is TD must hit on the picks he as left. It really doesn't matter whether a deal is done or not. If you make the deal better players must be acquired whether a deal is done or not. Your still going to have to hit on picks. Hopefully with Pioli here a few gems will be found.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:25 am 
Superstar
Superstar

thescout wrote:
The other thing about the Clowney trade is TD must hit on the picks he as left. It really doesn't matter whether a deal is done or not. If you make the deal better players must be acquired whether a deal is done or not. Your still going to have to hit on picks. Hopefully with Pioli here a few gems will be found.

My general point over the past several days has been that it's easier to hit on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. After that, the game is much more of a lottery. There's obviously a great deal of uncertainty in the draft, but the higher picks you have, the better the odds of landing someone who can benefit your team.

The, "big four," are also gambles. A good number of top selections end up being average, or below average NFL players. From what I can tell, the best bet is to acquire as many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks as possible. Giving up these picks significantly affects your ability to bring in talented young players.