It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons add Josh Wilson (CB - WAS)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 pm 

Falcons just added a veteran corner in Josh Wilson. Assuming this is nothing more than adding depth to the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... sh-wilson/

The Falcons have added some experience at cornerback.

According to Chick Hernandez of Comcast SportsNet, Redskins corner Josh Wilson has reached a one-year deal with Atlanta.

The 29-year-old Wilson has started every game in the last three seasons for Washington. He recorded a career-best 93 tackles in 2013.

Wilson, who’s intercepted 14 passes and made 81 starts in seven NFL seasons, joins an Atlanta secondary with second-year cornerbacks Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford in key roles. The Falcons also have Robert McClain and Javier Arenas at corner.

Before joining Washington in 2011, the 5-foot-9, 188-pound Wilson played for Seattle (2007-2009) and Baltimore (2010). He was Seattle’s second-round pick in 2007.

Post subject: Re: Falcons add Josh Wilson (CB - WAS)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Dwight Lowery as well.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Add-S-Lowery-CB-Wilson/7ddc4732-f0b3-42e0-8cd0-4acf448a4739

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:59 pm 

Front office has been busy today. At least Atlanta has some decent depth with these two coming on board.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I like this pick more than Lowery, he was good in Baltimore, but struggled in Washington (who doesn't). He makes more sense than our other DB pick up from KC whose name eludes me at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

As a fan of the Falcons the only thing that I can remember about Josh Wilson is him getting pushed down by Roddy and him getting ran over by SJax both plays resulting in TDs :lol:. Hopefully he has put getting abused behind him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:06 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I like Wilson, but he's another shrimp cornerback. Apparently TD & Co. didn't get the memo that they have Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Micahel Floyd, Alshon Jeffery, A.J. Green, Rueben Randle, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Cordarelle Patterson, and Jordy Nelson on the schedule this year.

He plays with a chip on his shoulder, but he did struggle playing int he slot this past year, and especially when Anquan Boldin abused him there this year.

He gives you a solid veteran, but I'm trying to figure out why we're better off with him than Asante Samuel.

I really hoped that when the Falcons made the decision to dump Samuel, they were planning on making a change at this position because they felt that Samuel was undersized and too expensive to be a nickel cornerback. Well, clearly they've saved money by signing Wilson and Arenas, but they've gotten even smaller and significantly lesser players.

I would like this move more if it meant the team was definitely moving Robert McClain to safety, which doesn't seem to be the case. Apparently the Falcons don't realize that slot WRs aren't just Randall Cobb and Wes Welker, but guys like Boldin, Colston, VJax, etc. nowadays.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:08 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
I would like this move more if it meant the team was definitely moving Robert McClain to safety, which doesn't seem to be the case. Apparently the Falcons don't realize that slot WRs aren't just Randall Cobb and Wes Welker, but guys like Boldin, Colston, VJax, etc. nowadays.

Well, they don't seem to understand they can (and need to) use tall receivers at slot on offense, so it would at least be a "global" issue.

Darius Johnson (who I sort of like) and HD at slot don't really match the rest of the offense, or QB.

On the other, I'm a bit surprised by all the CBs, but it seems like they're really just adding depth everywhere so they have more flexibility in the draft. A FS and RT still would have been better, but at least they're filling some holes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:22 pm 

I'm always a fan of stacking CBs and WRs on your roster. The problem is at CB, it should include different types of corners. You want a smaller, quick guy to cover the Wes Welkers. You also want a big, tall press guy to cover the Alshon Jefferys. Then you kinda want guys that can be a mixture of both (which I think Tru & Alford) are. But we're clearly missing that tall, press guy.

As for WRs, generally I would say having one smaller, speed guy like Hester, HD, or DJ. But the rest should be big, tall guys that can either stretch a defense (like Julio) or move the chains (like Roddy). Problem is that we have Hester, HD, and DJ who are all really the same type. Hester has speed to stretch a defense, but he's not really a great vertical threat (like HD), and all three are best working underneath.

The Falcons heart is in the right place with these moves, but they lack the head to make them right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
I'm always a fan of stacking CBs and WRs on your roster. The problem is at CB, it should include different types of corners. You want a smaller, quick guy to cover the Wes Welkers. You also want a big, tall press guy to cover the Alshon Jefferys. Then you kinda want guys that can be a mixture of both (which I think Tru & Alford) are. But we're clearly missing that tall, press guy.

As for WRs, generally I would say having one smaller, speed guy like Hester, HD, or DJ. But the rest should be big, tall guys that can either stretch a defense (like Julio) or move the chains (like Roddy). Problem is that we have Hester, HD, and DJ who are all really the same type. Hester has speed to stretch a defense, but he's not really a great vertical threat (like HD), and all three are best working underneath.

The Falcons heart is in the right place with these moves, but they lack the head to make them right.

Unfortunately, I sort of agree with that. At corner, it's trickier, because the offense can adjust to who you put out there. I feel it's generally better to have well rounded corners, because if you put a 6'5 guy who matches up well with tall receivers, any good offense is going to isolate that guy on a Welker instead.

But at WR it is definitely true you want variety, because you get to dictate the matchup. You generally want to be developing 3 types behind your two starters...
1) A tall possession receiver who you hope can develop into an outside receiver (Finn becomes Decker/Burress). These guys are very useful immediately on 3rd down
2) A speed merchant (can either be quick who you hope can become a slot, or tall who you hope can become an outside receiver). This guy doesn't have to have great hands...you hope to develop those. The hands just have to be good enough that the safety is terrified he'll get behind him (Kenny Stills, Torrey Smith, etc.)
3) A quick Wes Welker type. A guy who can get open in short areas, and make the catch, and turn in YAC.

I lean more toward the first two, but you need 3 receivers who cover at least 2 of these categories at all times (depending on your QB).

I fail to understand why the Falcs don't get these guys, as each trait is always available in the 3rd or 4th, and you can use these guys in subpackages immediately. They have immediate value, and if they develop on another trait (tall guy shows he can get open on the outside, speed guy improves route running/hands, slot waterbug shows he can get open outside or catch in traffic...you've developed a legit receiver.) If not, you have the Saints/GB WR corps, which is just fine, too.

This has been one of my larger frustrations with the current regime, because it is so easy to fix with minimal resources (as compared to fixing pass rush). And supplying Ryan with 5 guys who can get open or catch in traffic injury proofs the offense, and caters to a "pre snap read" QB.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 pm 

takeitdown wrote:
Unfortunately, I sort of agree with that. At corner, it's trickier, because the offense can adjust to who you put out there. I feel it's generally better to have well rounded corners, because if you put a 6'5 guy who matches up well with tall receivers, any good offense is going to isolate that guy on a Welker instead.

This is why you stack them. You go out and sign an Antonio Cromartie and Javier Arenas, and then draft someone to go along with Tru and Alford. Tru and Alford are the all-around "constants" and you use Cromartie/Arenas depending on the matchup. If you're facing a team like the Giants who have Victor Cruz in the slot, then you start Arenas at the nickel. If you're playing a team like the Bears with twin towers on the outside, you put Cromartie in at nickel and play him outside and play Trufant in the slot.

The rookie you pick up because you want to develop him, but also use him on special teams. The rookie really is just the best player available. He could be any form of the CB, but ideally you want someone that can excel in one of those areas (big press guy or quick slot guy) or be a very versatile "constant" guy.

Now in an ideal world, you'll be able to draft your Cromartie/Arenas guys and thus be able to develop them, and potentially have them capable of playing them across your defense, rather than being an outside only or slot only type of CB. If done correctly, then whoever you put on the field are interchangeable and thus you can have certain guys to shadow different guys. This hopefully is your defense against Calvin Johnson, who can be pressed, but typically the Cromartie/Brandon Browner types of guys only play outside, while Johnson is moved all around the formation. That way you can tell your press guy to basically shadow Megatron, and cross your fingers he can do what Charles Tillman has done over the years.

You constantly are churning your roster, so there's never an instance where a guy like Dominique Franks sits on your roster for 2+ years contributing nothing since he doesn't play special teams, nor is he the sort of quality "constant" type of corner.

This is the "Belichickian School" of roster building, where I want players that are versatile, but also won't shy away from players that do 1 thing really well and can be used in very specific matchups. Even if it's for as little as 4 games a year. Who knows if that 4th game happens to be the conference title game…

But obviously this requires having a coaching staff that is willing to make major adaptations/adjustments to their schemes and gameplans on a weekly basis, which is rare.

Profile E-mail