It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tight End
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:52 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

So Coffman isn't coming back which leaves us with one TE. Wonder how high we draft one?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... fman-back/
Falcons won’t be bringing Chase Coffman back

The Falcons don’t know at the moment how they’ll replace Tony Gonzalez, but they’ve apparently decided how they won’t.

Free agent tight end Chase Coffman just tweeted out word that the Falcons won’t offer him a contract to come back, graciously thanking the team for their time.

The former third-round pick of the Bengals played in 11 games for the Falcons last year, and didn’t catch a pass. He has four career receptions.

That leaves last year’s fourth-rounder Levine Toilolo as the tight end of note on their roster at the moment.

Post subject: Re: Tight End
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't think Chase Coffman alters the picture much. Despite being drafted in the third round, he had about as much utility as an UDFA, so replacing his non-existent production isn't that big of an issue.

The bigger problem is that we are discussing it as a big issue: the depth on this team is so bad from the "win one for Tony" era. They completely pitched "the process" out the window. Anyone hear Smith saying these words any more? Nope. "Process" has been replaced by "trend," and they're a year behind those, not setting them. Thus, Tony retires, and there's not a strong plan for following him. Assante leaves and it's Arenas that replaces him (yes, I know he's not starting). Baker bites the big one and it's a UDFA at right tackle. It's not as bad as it was before the current regime, but it isn't good.

Part of this argument makes me hope that they DO trade up for Clowney, as TD and Co. have no good history after the mid-first round anyway, so who cares if he has those picks to work with?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:11 pm 

Atlanta will draft a tight end somewhere... Not sure where but they will draft one. Probably add some UDFA TE's as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I expected them to bring back Coffman at least to compete in camp with Shuler for the No. 3 spot, because I like you believe they will draft at least 1. If they don't bring back Coffman or sign another experienced player, I think it now might mean they take 2 tight ends.

Profile E-mail