It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pic # 37
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I've got to say it's been a long time since we have had such a high second round pic, and with this year being such a deep draft it is extremely valuable. Barring the possibility we go full retard and trade it to move up in round one, who do you think we should take at pic #37?

Post subject: Re: Pic # 37
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 am 

I would say Xavier Filo (guard, Gabe Jackson (guard),Scott Crichton (def end),Trent Murphy(def end) ,Dee Ford(if he drops which I doubt) def end/olb,Steven Tuitt def end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

It will be interesting to see if we sign a safety prior to the draft, if we don't I think we could land Jimmy Ward who's a tackling machine....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

He also played at the Senior bowl so our staff should know him well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:48 am 

Add Ward to the list. Walterfootball.com has him going in the 2nd round. Apparently he can cover slot receivers which is a hot commodity in the NFL nowadays.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014jward.php

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 am 

Interesting having done some research on the strengths of the draft at each position it wouldn't be out of the question to draft a safety with the Falcs 2nd rounder. There is adequate depth at guard,tackle, def tackle, receiver,running back. The weakest areas seem to be safety,linebacker and tight end. You still should take the better prospect and hopefully TD understands this now.

The idea of just drafting for need and not looking at the quality of the player has burned the Falcs numerous times. Akeem Dent taken in the the 3rd round when he graded at a 4th or 5th rounder? :naughty:

I keep saying this but alot can be said on what the Falcs do during free agency. I really hope we find a slot receiver since this draft is to good a one to have to keep going to Harry Douglas who doesn't give us what we need. Also consider since Gonzo is gone the tight end quality will be less in regards to receiving so someone has to pick up the slack. Why not get a slot receiver who will take the heat off of Jones and White?

I don't know what our draft picks are overall but this would be a good draft to have many picks. Even if we do take Mathews at 6 would mean we need to load up on defense in free agency and build a young off line with say Mathews, guard in the 2-3 round.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:15 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

if the unthinkable happens, and Dallas passes up Aaron Donald at #16 and he is there at #37 you have to grab him. I highly doubt that happens.

Maybe Cyril Richardson or Zach Martin? Dont be surprised if TD snags Austin Seferian-Jenkins at #37 though... :ninja:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:27 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Drafting a slot receiver would be the equivalent of going full retard. Almost as dumb as drafting a fullback.

Here's what we know:

Whatever the Falcons do, the player they take in Round 2 will be expected at the very least to sit the bench his rookie year and will then be handed a starting job in his second year whether he deserves it or not. At most, he may be asked to start from Day 1.

So that means that depending on what we do in free agency, the potential candidate positions are:

RB (doubtful, since that probably means it's a 1st round talent, which this draft class seems short on)
TE
OG
DE (assuming we don't take a guy in Round 1)
DT
FS

Assuming the Falcons address the OG position in free agency, I would place my bet on TE being the likeliest candidate. Which I have to say leaves me underwhelmed. Falcons love drafting TEs in years where the team is meh.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:24 pm 

I have the Falcons taking Austin Serafin Jenkins with our no2 pick. Because of the weak tight end class it pushes players up on the board .I've read where Jenkins as been compared to Mercedes Lewis. Still I hope I'm wrong and the Falcs draft another position that can be a cornstone player for us. I don't think Jenkins can stretch a defense and his off the field troubles may indicate a player who won't give 100%. Not saying all players with off the field issues are a problem but I'd rather find a low cost free agent whose a good blocker and can catch some passes. Then I would find better slot receiver than Harry Douglas. Basically we are reducing the role of the tight end catching passes and then making the slot receiver more important in the pass game. Douglas just doesn't do it for me.

There will be good players available round 2. Whether its free safety,def end, linebacker etc I'd rather have that position filled with no37 than a tight end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:05 am 

Based off what I've read about ASJ, the "off-field" issues are very overblown. He should not be flagged for character by the Falcons.

I haven't watched any tape of him this year, but watching a little bit of him the previous season, I never really bought into the talk that he was the next big thing at TE, but I think he was a good TE prospect. I don't see him as a potential elite TE, but in terms of being a 2nd round pick, I think based off that brief glimpse the Falcons can do a lot worse.

The issue with the Falcons whenever they draft offensive players is about identity. The Falcons drafted Toilolo but the sort of offense that he would excel in is not the type of offense the Falcons have run. They did sort of run that offense in 2008 when it was Peelle and Hartsock, but not what they shifted into for Gonzalez.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:10 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

How so? I see a slower TE with a large catch radius and limited blocking. That sounds a lot like Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:30 pm 

samedi wrote:
How so? I see a slower TE with a large catch radius and limited blocking. That sounds a lot like Tony.

Because the thing about Tony is that he is those things but is still effective because he has extremely precise route-running ability and extremely soft hands. He catches everything and doesn't even ever fumble (which BTW is the most underrated stat of all-time!) Tony is essentially a perfectionist with how much he strives for diet supremacy, how much he preparation he has for games, etc.

That's why if the team was trying to develop a player like Tony, they should have drafted a tight end several years ago so that he would have time and experience to work towards that polished product.

But expecting a second-year player, especially a "raw" prospect like Toilolo to come in and do those things is foolish, or extremely lucky that you just managed to find the "Andrew Luck" to your "Peyton Manning" in the fourth round no less as opposed to the very first pick in the draft.

Thus if you had a "plan" for Toilolo, you wouldn't put him in that predicament where he'll have to be the Jason Witten-esque rarity of a mid-round pick that turns into that player. Instead it would rather be tailoring the offense to what his strengths were, which was playing in a "power" double-TE offense at Stanford that is similar to Harbaugh-coached 49ers: an offense geared around the power run game, also akin to what the Falcons were in 2008.

That would make sense with the emphasis on drafting larger offensive linemen, but would not make sense with what the team has done at the skill positions by investing in players like Harry Douglas, Jacquizz Rodgers, and previously Tony, all of whom have ceilings on how good they can be in that offense. The former two being merely effective role players, and with the latter being tailor-made for that style.

People in the past have called this nitpicking, but moves like these can ultimately be the difference in going to and/or winning a Super Bowl, where someone like Doug Baldwin can make a pivotal play in a big game, while your guy gets mugged on a slant route which leads to a game-sealing pick-six.

My suspicion that a lot like me, they really fell in love with Toilolo's potential during his junior season where Luck was his QB and envisioned they were hopefully drafting that player. And the reason that they didn't play him that much once Chase Coffman got healthy was due to fact that he was not at all this player. Which wouldn't have been hard to figure out if you had watched him as a senior. :so:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

thescout wrote:
I have the Falcons taking Austin Serafin Jenkins with our no2 pick. Because of the weak tight end class it pushes players up on the board .I've read where Jenkins as been compared to Mercedes Lewis. Still I hope I'm wrong and the Falcs draft another position that can be a cornstone player for us. I don't think Jenkins can stretch a defense and his off the field troubles may indicate a player who won't give 100%. Not saying all players with off the field issues are a problem but I'd rather find a low cost free agent whose a good blocker and can catch some passes. Then I would find better slot receiver than Harry Douglas. Basically we are reducing the role of the tight end catching passes and then making the slot receiver more important in the pass game. Douglas just doesn't do it for me.

There will be good players available round 2. Whether its free safety,def end, linebacker etc I'd rather have that position filled with no37 than a tight end.

For him to be so big he is not that physical in the blocking game. To his credit when watching WAS on Saturdays there were many times where he would get vertical in the seam and his QB Keith Price would just miss him. So it is definitely a credit to his talent that he was able to become one of the best TE in the nation with the up and down QB play.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I can't believe we still have this, we should be able to get another starter level player, perhaps we can package a 4th or 5th and even move up :shock: