It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grimes extended
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10544 ... a=module-b

love the comments, below the article, couldn't agree more...

Post subject: Re: Grimes extended
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

He's still overrated and injury prone though right Fun Gus? :rofl:

Congrats to Grimes, so happy to see the guy finally get paid..

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:00 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

What are the terms of the deal?

What were the terms of the deal he rejected from ATL last year?

I am glad that he recovered, but Milo was/is a pr nightmare waiting to happen. I'm not saying that's a reason to refuse him reasonable money, but I can see that being a consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:55 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

4/$32($16)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Grimes signed a six-year contract worth $57 million with $22.5 million guaranteed...

Oh wait, no that was Dunta's deal.

Nice pick, Cowher.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Her name is Miko, and I'm fairly convinced that she is why Grimes is no longer a Falcon. I wish Brent Grimes all the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
Her name is Miko, and I'm fairly convinced that she is why Grimes is no longer a Falcon. I wish Brent Grimes all the best.

You're a fool if you believe that.

It was always about money. Falcons didn't want two $50 million corners, because they had already paid Dunta his money and didn't want to sink that much more money into the position.

So they tagged Grimes with no real intention of re-signing him to a long-term deal. Maybe if he had played in2012, there was the possibility that they would cut Dunta after the season and hand a fat check to Grimes, but once he tor3 his Achilles, neither party wanted anything to do with the other.

People keep wanting to place the blame on a loudmouthed woman for causing a rift, which is ridiculous. The rift started when the team overpaid Dunta (which didn't sneak up on anyone), and compounded that poor decision by failing to lock up their best defensive player from the 2010-11 (or 2nd best if you wanna put Abe #1). And then put the shackles on that player from testing the market just because they could.

Of all people Robert, I'd expect you more than most to get this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:48 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Moderate switch? He's not a fool, it's just not likely. I'm sorry whatever's bugging you, but please stick to the excellent analysis.

I don't see where anyone has posted what the ATL offers were, either what lead to the franchise tag or what lead to him signing with Miami. Do we know for a fact that the Atlanta offers weren't reasonable?

You have better resources/more of a will to research than most of us, so . . . any clue? I didn't see it on a quick search.

And yes, I know it's Miko: the k and the l are pretty close on my backup phone. It'd be a real hoot if it was Milo, tho. Heh.

I agree, two CBs making that much long-term, especially entering their 30s is a bad call . . . heck, anyone should agree with that. However, I'd argue that the issue on the ATL side of the ball was more trying to squeeze everything possible into 2012 (and then 2013) to try to win one for Tony (i.e. what process?) than simply saying "screw Grimes, we don't need him."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 am 

I have no inside info, but the only report we ever got on the subject was the Falcons sources thinking his price tag was going to be too expensive, which came shortly after our loss to the Giants. Unfortunately the thing most took away from the report was reading into it that Grimes decided not to play in that game, which is not at all what the report said.

And then he got tagged, and the team never worked out a long term deal. With few exceptions when a team tags a guy with the intent to give him a long term deal, at some point the deal gets done. Or at least we hear about the team trying to get a deal done (see Jairus Byrd). Not the case with Grimes. Not a peep that the Falcons offered anything substantial. Although I did hear unconfirmed rumors that the deal he initially signed in MIA (1 yr. $5M) was less than what Falcons offered, but presumably that bridge had been long burned.

So my beef is based off logically trying to figure why the Falcons deemed Grimes too expensive, and the only reasonable explanation is that there was an unwritten rule within the organization that allowed only a certain amount of money to be invested at the CB position and the team ostensibly deciding that Dunta deserved to be the higher paid of the two.

But I'll say this, if Dimitroff & Co. make $50 million decisions based off the tweets of some insignificant significant other, then this franchise is doomed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:01 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I don't see the loud mouth wife being much of a factor in and of herself. Hate to see homegrown talent go elsewhere. TD has made some really questionable moves on D...Grimes. Lofton, Dunta, Abe. etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 pm 

The entertaining part is how much hate Grimes got in his formative years as a Falcon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I have no inside info, but the only report we ever got on the subject was the Falcons sources thinking his price tag was going to be too expensive, which came shortly after our loss to the Giants. Unfortunately the thing most took away from the report was reading into it that Grimes decided not to play in that game, which is not at all what the report said.

And then he got tagged, and the team never worked out a long term deal. With few exceptions when a team tags a guy with the intent to give him a long term deal, at some point the deal gets done. Or at least we hear about the team trying to get a deal done (see Jairus Byrd). Not the case with Grimes. Not a peep that the Falcons offered anything substantial. Although I did hear unconfirmed rumors that the deal he initially signed in MIA (1 yr. $5M) was less than what Falcons offered, but presumably that bridge had been long burned.

So my beef is based off logically trying to figure why the Falcons deemed Grimes too expensive, and the only reasonable explanation is that there was an unwritten rule within the organization that allowed only a certain amount of money to be invested at the CB position and the team ostensibly deciding that Dunta deserved to be the higher paid of the two.

But I'll say this, if Dimitroff & Co. make $50 million decisions based off the tweets of some insignificant significant other, then this franchise is doomed.

So, let me get this straight. A soon to be 30 year old cornerback who suffered a major injury wasn't offered a long term deal and it's bad management? Grimes was about the money and TD would have been a fool to offer a long term deal at that point. Don't think for a second that Grimes wasn't offered something to stay....and I too have heard that it was more than what the Dolphins offered. Grimes came back from could/should have been a career threatening injury and played at a Pro-Bowl level. Good for him. It's a nice story, but don't think it was bad management, just more like a case of bad luck.

As I said, Grimes could have stayed if he wanted to. He and he alone chose not to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:43 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Look, I have no issues admitting when Im wrong. I have been wrong before ( Vick will never play again in the NFL, we will draft Dorsey,etc..) so I dont mind admitting I totally got this one wrong. I did not expect either Ryan or Grimes to complete the season. I cant explain how that came to pass, but I took a guess and was wrong, again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwXmDm0uN28

That being said, I still dont think TD got it wrong. The way I look at it, (and again, I could be wrong here as well) there was already 'bad blood' between the Grimes camp and Flowery Branch. Im putting myself in TD's shoes here, but the options are

A: sign him to a long term contract
B:sign him to a one year 'lets see' deal
C: do what he did and let him walk.

Now, the argument could be made TD should have done option B. But I still think option A was not a wise choice. And I think we can all agree option C sucked.

But I think where TD really screwed the proverbial 'pooch' is letting Abraham walk.

Because look at it this way: we have ( barring injury) locked up our CB positions for at least 4 years now. The two new guys did not play as well as Grimes ( who was ranked #3 while Trufant was ranked #7) but as a combo, they did thier jobs. They got some NFL schooling ala Joe Horn from Asante, and they are now up to speed and we dont have to worry about that position anymore. That means alot on this team with that many holes.

So, I admit Grimes play proved me wrong, he did play at a high level even after he got a groin injury down the stretch. But given the situation ( Miko bitchin',Grimes appearing unhappy,and the $$) I think TD got this one right in that he did let Grimes walk, but unlike Abe ( which was basically a wash with Osi) he didnt cripple us at the position. Also, I think somewhere that CB was the position the Vegan actually played in college, but again, I could be wrong there too.

Congrats Grimeposse and Miami for getting this one right. :ninja:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 am 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
A soon to be 30 year old cornerback who suffered a major injury wasn't offered a long term deal and it's bad management?

Grimes' "major" injury occurred in September 2012. The time for the Falcons to give Grimes a long-term deal was in July 2012, two months before his injury. Unless you're counting his knee injury from 2011 as a major injury, which it was not.

I'll reiterate that in terms of Grimes getting a long-term deal they had the time between the lockout (July 2011) and March 2013 to get a deal done (that's 20 months), although again probably by the time September 2012 rolled around, any chance of a deal getting done was over.

If Grimes was "all about the money" then so what? He was worth it, unlike DeAngelo Hall and Dunta Robinson. He's proven that without a doubt. He was a Top 5 cornerback in 2010 and 2011, and then probably would have been the same in 2012 if he had not gotten injured, because he was a Top 10 cornerback in Miami coming back from the injury.

The real issue here is the same that always plagues this fan base when (good) players leave. People try to spin it as a positive for the team, and how the team was justified for doing it, when in fact more often than not, Dimitroff's record over the past 3-4 years has indicated that he deserves no such benefit of the doubt.

And I find it laughable that the #1 reason why people gave Dimitroff the benefit of the doubt was because Grimes had an annoying wife, not because of football reasons. Because as I said before, Grimes age shouldn't have been a significant deterrent to signing him. His skill set is such that has a much lower chance of declining at the same rate beyond age 30 that most NFL corners undergo because the things he was good at (e.g. ball skills, technique, awareness) DO NOT DECLINE with age. It's the same reason why Asante Samuel, Champ Bailey, and Charles Woodson have been relatively ageless over their careers while a guy like Dunta or Hall seemed to lose it at 29 or earlier.

And his injury only occurred after the point when he could have gotten a long-term deal. But again, people cite his routine knee injury as a red flag from giving him money. But if that's the case, then those same people should be 100% against giving Julio Jones a 2nd contract when the time comes at some point in the next 12+ months.

fun gus wrote:
I did not expect either Ryan or Grimes to complete the season. I cant explain how that came to pass, but I took a guess and was wrong, again.

The reason you were "wrong" is because you still fail to grasp the fact that injuries are essentially random and unpredictable.

fun gus wrote:
Because look at it this way: we have ( barring injury) locked up our CB positions for at least 4 years now.

Maybe, although don't count your chickens before they hatch, particularly in regard to Robert Alford.

Profile E-mail