It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick one of hte most hated players in the league
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just got my 2006 Football Preview via Scout.com as part of the million dollar package I'm swindled out of every year for premium access to that site.

They listed Vick as one of the 3 most hated players in the legue. The other 2 were Terrell Owens and Ray Lewis. Here's what they had to say:
Scout.com wrote:
The Terrell OWens situation in San Francisco was inexcusable. Upon heading on to Philadelphia, Owens again was at the forefront of some ugly issues. Is there any question as to why Owens heads this list? Ray Lewis is vocal and outspoken; his success comes into play for those believe he may a [sic] bit too arrogant. Vick gains all the press, but his play on the field has not equated to the attention.

I definitely can understand their sentiments. Vick is hated pretty much everywhere outside Falcon land.

They also listed the Falcons or Falcons personnel in other categories:

Jim Mora was one of the 3 coaches listed on the hot seat along with Billick and Schottenheimer.
Quote:
Grumblings about Jim Mora's job security exist, it may come down to him or quarterback Michael Vick

No one is really talking about it, but truthfully I would agree that Mora is one of the more likelier candidates to be out of a job this year. As I stated in another thread, because of the influx of 10 new coaches this year, there are likely to probably only be a few coaching changes after this year, and probably more will come due to older coaches like Gibbs or Parcells retiring than guys getting fired. I don't think Mora will get fired, but he's on thinner ice than most this year. A winning year will solidify his footing a bit more, but if the Falcons have another losing year then I'd bet that 2007 is going to be an ultimatum season.

Also the Falcons were given the 3rd worst draft behind Washington and Houston.
Quote:
In Atlanta, without a first-round pick, they selected one of the most questionable characters in the draft, Jimmy Williams. He's got early first-round talent, but many issues exist with this defensive back.

I don't quite agree with it, but I can understand the notion that the Falcons had a very poor draft if you believe that Williams was not a steal and deserved to slip as far as he did due to his other issues. Because frankly, besides him and Norwood, we got pretty much nothing in this draft.

But in that regard I found something rather interesting. While those "predictions" seemed to be made by a consensus of Scout.com sites, the Houston Texans site (TexansBlitz.com) gave their team an A grade when it comes to that actual team-by-team preview. The Falcons were one of 5 teams that scored less than a B- by the individual team sites. Washington got a D, Miami a C-, and the Bucs, Bears, and CHiefs all shared the same C grade as the Falcons.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think the biggest piece of evidence Vick is one of if not THE most hated player in the NFL is the ESPN.com Falcons message board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't necessarily think it's a hate thing with Vick, it's just the media has hyped him up so much in the past it was impossible for him to live up to it. Now, people are seeing Vick for what he is, an incredible athlete at the QB position with a below average arm. Fun too watch at times and painful to watch at others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:23 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Naw...it's a hate thing. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:45 pm 

In conversing with a lot of non-Falcon fans, there is a large amount of hate for Michael Vick. And much of that is because of the media hype. I think Reggie Bush may run into that a bit because he IMO is the most hyped player since Michael Vick to enter the league. It may just boil down to how well Reggie pleases fantasy owners :wink: since I believe a lot of the hate directed towards Vick is generated by that fact.

Profile E-mail