It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Take it for what it's worth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

There are very few talking heads on TV that I listen to or take seriously, but one of them is Bill Polian. Very knowledgeable and the guy knows his s*** about running and building a team, team needs etc. He says we have holes all over the defense, but that we will take an OT with the first pick. He says there are plenty of good ones in this years draft.....

Again, take it for what it's worth....

Post subject: Re: Take it for what it's worth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:42 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think he's right. We'll have to see what the Falcons do in free agency.

But I think given the number of good pass rushers that are available in FA, the possibility is much higher that the team addresses their needs along the DL there than the OL. And that would likely leave them leaning towards OL at the top of Round 1.

Given that we just paid $41 million to Sam Baker, I don't see the team investing huge money in another FA offensive lineman. It's possible, but it's doubtful. Instead I do see the Falcons going after some DE/OLB and/or DTs in free agency, because there is better depth in this FA class at those positions and the Falcons can make upgrades without having to spend a ton of $$$.

Also the rhetoric from Dimitroff this offseason seems to indicate they think the OL is more problematic than the DL. Thus when push comes to shove and the draft rolls around, I think they'll prioritize a bookend LT (like Matthews) over a pass rusher (like Mack) assuming Clowney isn't there.

But again, this is really only guessing at this point. Until we get to the end of March after a few weeks of FA, we won't really have a clue.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Take it for what it's worth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I just hope/pray that they don't think that our only problem on the OL is OT. I could easily see them draft an OT with the first pick and say, "that's that." However, the MAJOR issues with the OL is the interior, and it has been for some time. I would be thrilled if we used our 2nd pick on a guard and our first pick on an OT, but I doubt that's going to happen.