It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Who was the best Falcons rookie on defense in 2013?
Poll ended at Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:05 pm
Robert Alford 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Joplo Bartu 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Desmond Trufant 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Paul Worrilow 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Defensive Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Who was the best rookie on defense for Falcons in 2013? If voting Other, please specify.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Defensive Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Whoever voted for Worrilow over Trufant really needs to start watching games and not just looking at stats.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:08 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:
Whoever voted for Worrilow over Trufant really needs to start watching games and not just looking at stats.

I voted for Worrilow, and I voted for him because he stood out on defense all year. Trufant certainly looked fantastic as well. I believe we might have two new potential pro-bowlers on defense.

That said, I give the edge this year to Worrilow because he made many significant/impact plays, and he did it all over the field. Like Brooking, he was always around the ball. Unlike Brooking, he got good pressure on QBs, and made other impact plays, including kicking a ball into Spoon's hands that went for a Pick 6.

You have a different opinion, and that's fine. But really Emmit, do you always have to dis other people for having their own opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Worrilow is sadly overrated by fans. Sure he’s all over the field, but he’s still undersized and can’t get off of blocks well. What makes you think he can be a Pro Bowler? That’s a homer thing to say. He was a bright spot I get it, but he’s nowhere near a Pro Bowl caliber player. Trufant on the other hand has shown he can be. That’s how I break it down. I diss people’s opinions when they do something ridiculous. For someone to put Worrilow over Trufant is pretty ridiculous.

The kick play was an absolute fluke, are you seriously going to give him credit for that one? Wow.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It was a fluke. So was Worrilow throwing a FB to the ground while going after Newton. So were the back to back weeks with 19 tackles. The problem is, when you add all of those flukes up, they start to not look like flukes. Sure, some of those plays will never happen again, but many great players careers are made up of such plays. We don't pass them off as, "those are just flukes," we say, "that player is great."

I'm fully aware that Worrilow is undersized. I've heard people SAY that he can't get off blocks well, but I've seen him shed blocks just fine, in some cases, doing so in spectacular fashion... certainly better than any of our other LBs.

Perhaps you need to go back and watch some more tape. Whereas I admit that Trufant is also great, you seem to have something against Worrilow. I really can't understand why. The guy did nothing but produce this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:32 pm 

I don't think voting for Worrilow is ridiculous. As others noted, Worrilow came into the season with much lower expectations than Trufant. We knew from the start that Trufant would be a starter, and while I do think he had the much better season (thus earning my vote), he didn't come out of virtually nowhere to have a good season. We all sort of figured that Tru would have his good moments and his fair share of bad ones. The only real surprise that he had a lot less bad ones than most were expecting. Worrilow came from nowhere, and while people may not believe he is truly deserving of earning the MVP, they may feel that deserves being honored with their vote (it's the same reason I chose Babineaux as my Defensive MVP).

I agree on the Worrilow-Brooking comparison, except the main difference is that I think Brooking's range (at least during the first 3-5 years of his career) was much greater than Worrilow's, and I think that will put a firmer ceiling on Worrilow's potential than Brookings, and make it much harder for him to earn pro Bowl berths in the future. Obviously it's also going to be very hard for Worrilow to earn spots in the Pro Bowl because he plays in a conference that features Sean Lee, Luke Kuechly, Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, as elite ILBs and a 2nd tier that features players like DeMeco Ryans, Bobby Wagner, and James Laurinaitis. He might get into the conversation into that 2nd tier of guys that might be in the conversation as a Pro Bowl alternate if other guys get hurt, etc. so it's possible, but a long shot.

And again, I don't think he has the range that those other guys have, which won't make him into a more able player than them. But as we know the Pro Bowl is less about ability, but about production. And if Worrilow has a year where he gets 130+ tackles, 3 sacks, and 3 INTs (which is certainly possible), then who knows...

Profile E-mail