It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody watch Senior Bowl?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

And what were you thoughts? ANybody impress you enough to be on the Falcons radar.

I know Aaron Donald and Zack Martin both had solid weeks of practices, and as such solidified themselves as potential Top 25 picks (Martin possibly Top 15), so they probably won't be in the Falcons wheelhouse unless they get hurt or have poor Combines or the team trades up.

But some guys that I thought are worth a look are Lindenwood CB Pierre Desir, Auburn DE Dee Ford, NIU FS Jimmie Ward, Wisconsin RB James White, Colorado State TE Crockett Gillmore, were some of the players that stood out. All play need positions for the Falcons.

I suspect the Falcons will really look at targeting some of these Senior Bowl players in Rounds 2-4. 50% of their picks in Rounds 2-4 have been Senior Bowl participants.

And did it bother anybody else how "unprepared and lethargic the Falcon-coached North team looked in the game? I try not to take an all-star game seriously, but it was like night and day looking at how much energy the South played with vs. the North team. Maybe the Falcons spent their week on player evaluation rather than getting their team prepped to play an actual game. All the interviews Gus Bradley did on NFL Network during the week suggested that the Jaguars paid attention to the fact that they were trying to bring that South group together to play as a team on Saturday. Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anybody watch Senior Bowl?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It's like I've been saying, this coaching staff does not have any fire in them. They put our players to sleep with, "the business of playing football." This explains why we come out in the 3rd quarter looking like total crap. The players spent 10 minutes being forced into a state of boredom, and only wake back up after being on the field for 15 minutes.

Then, if a player makes a great play, Smith extinguishes any positive feeling by pointing out the mistakes that they player made, in some cases yelling at the player, or taking notes on his little notepad.

Whenever I see Mike Smith on the sidelines with his little notepad, taking notes about the mistakes that people are making, I get sick to my stomach. On top of that, Smith makes bonehead decision after bonehead decision. Why doesn't he pull out his notepad and write, "I need to explain to the team how I lost the game with my bonehead decisions."

It's time for them to go. If we don't make the playoffs this year, or we have another lethargic showing in the playoffs, Smith has to be shown the door.

Sorry, I haven't ranted in a while. It feels good to get it out once in a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 pm 

No I didn't see the game but read the reports all week.Here's a possiblity how about trading down acquiring extra picks grab Donald or Martin and then trade back up to grab the other? Is it worth it? Will pick 6 bring in a player that is elite?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:16 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I can see how Donald may have played his way out of our reach in the second round, but better prospects have fallen further. I still need to watch the full game. I don't like hearing that about our coaching staff though, but I agree 100% that I would have at least liked for them to come out in this Senior Bowl ready to fire up their players.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 am 

I think Donald solidified himself as a Top 20 pick, with the way he was dominated alleged 2nd round prospects like Cyril RIchardson in practice and then Gabe Jackson in the game. The comparisons between him and Geno Atkins/Jurrell Casey were out there and sporadic at the end of the season, but now they have completely gone off the rails since then. Unless he has a really bad combine, you can't put the genie back in the bottle and thus he'll almost certainly be one of the Top 32 players selected, and potentially the first DT off the board since the need at the position in the middle part of the round (CHI at 14 and DAL at 17) include teams that are perfect fits for his disruptive 3-technique role.

I don't see the Falcons trading back really. It's still early in the process, but who/what are teams going to be trading up for. Basically the options are Clowney or a QB. And I think when the process is over, the QBs won't be as highly regarded as they were a few weeks ago. I don't think NFL people are going to love Bortles as much as some in the media are portraying him to be, and I think he's the Ryan Tannehill of this class. Derek Carr has all the signs of Christian Ponder v2.0, and I believe NFL teams learned their lesson last year when they didn't reach on lesser valued QBs like him in Round 1. If Carr goes in the 1st, I believe it will come at the end of the round where a team trades back in. Or maybe a team like JAX or OAK trades out of the Top 5 with a team looking to draft Clowney and into the middle range (again CHI or DAL jump to mind) and then take Carr there.

Trading back is always an option but probably not that realistic.

Matthews/Mack, those are the guys you might want to start getting familiar with at this point, because they have all the hallmarks of being Falcons picks: seniors, captains, several years of production, fill needs, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I watched and I really like the way Jimmy Ward played in the game and how he played all season for NIU. He has always been a good tackler but not sure how good he would be in coverage against NFL WRs since he didnt see that much talent in the MAC, but if they were to move on from Decoud he could be a good guy to bring in to compete for a starting position.

The player that really intrigues me is Telvin Smith out of Florida State he has crazy potential I think he has the potential to be a Thomas Davis or Wesley Woodyard type of player in the NFL and the Falcons would be smart to grab him seeing that they will have to deal with Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis for the forseeable future.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Charles Sims in a Falcons uniform dude has hands and I like the way he runs with the ball, his running style reminds me of Matt Forte.

Dee Ford and Aaron Donald balled out and I dont think either of them will be there with our second pick so I have already given up hope of seeing them in Falcons Red & Black.

Pudge, I feel you on not putting much stock in Allstar games be the truth is the coaching staff had a team with comparable talent to the South and it wasnt even close. I watched them struggle to get a first down all game then I saw Dirk call like 5 RB screens even though there is no blitzing so LBs were just basically sitting there waiting on the RB. I will give the Defense a break because this isnt what Nolan does he isnt at his best running a vanilla defense.