Post subject: Roddy White endorses Jadeveon Clowney as Falcons pick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ter_nfl_cb

Roddy White endorses Jadeveon Clowney as Falcons' draft pick

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Jan. 8, 2014 at 09:15 p.m. Updated: Jan. 8, 2014 at 09:51 p.m. 395 Likes | 98 Comments
Email Print
Read Discuss

John Bazemore / Associated Press
Roddy White said he thinks a pass rusher is among the Falcons' top needs.
The Atlanta Falcons have plenty of draft needs that were exposed throughout the course of a 4-12 season in 2013, but the need for a pass rusher is apparently the one most glaringly obvious to star wide receiver Roddy White:

The Falcons have the No. 6 overall pick, and according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, their primary needs are for a defensive end, a tight end to replace retiring Tony Gonzalez and help on the offensive line. White, however, sees drafting Clowney as an assistance for two of those three needs.

White doesn't figure to be bumping Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff out of his chair any time soon, but that doesn't mean a respected, proven veteran such as White can't get his voice heard. Injuries hampered White's 2013 season and snapped a streak of six consecutive years with over 1,000 yards receiving.

Clowney figures to be among the top players chosen, despite making just three sacks on the season for South Carolina. At 6-foot-6 and 275 pounds, his reported sub-4.5 speed and ultra-quick first step give him the sort of pass rushing potential that NFL clubs deem so hard to find. Atlanta spent fourth- and fifth-round picks on defensive ends last year with Malliciah Goodman of Clemson and Stansly Maponga of TCU. Those two combined for just 13 tackles and no sacks in their rookie seasons.

White, for his part, thinks the Falcons offense is poised for a big season as it is.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roddy White endorses Jadeveon Clowney as Falcons pick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I approve of his endorsement!

:up:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

mattlanta wrote:
I approve of his endorsement!

:up:

I also concur with Mattlanta & Roddy. If a third round pick is all that stands between us and Clowney pull the trigger TD.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Mass. WILL BE A PLAYER.... He was about like Chuck Smith his rookie year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:45 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Cyril wrote:
Mass. WILL BE A PLAYER.... He was about like Chuck Smith his rookie year.
I agree on this. I think Mass is one of the players that Hamilton most failed on when it comes to coaching up. I think Mass has the talent to make a difference.

As for Clowney, there's just something about him that makes me want to draft differently.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Clowney seems like a boom or bust guy with his effort issues. I still don't see us getting him, as I feel it will take more than a third to move up, and the Falcons will probably fall in love with Barr, since he played four years, is known as a character guy, etc... He just fits the mold of what we draft more and he should be there at 6.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You realize that Barr will not solve any of our defensive issues? Barr is a pass rushing linebacker. Our problem is that our defensive line can't hold up against the run or the pass. If our defensive line remains as is, Barr will be a faster version of Biermann.

Barr only makes sense if we make a commitment to switch to a 3-4. Biermann also makes more sense to be a 3-4 OLB. I'd go as far as to say that if we drafted Barr and switched to a 3-4 base, we'd have one of the best 3-4 LB groups in the NFL. The line, however, would still be suspect.

I fear, however, that with Roddy coming out and endorsing Clowney, the Falcons may well be singling Clowney out as their, "must have guy," and that we'll give up whatever we need to give up in order to get him. I also think that will be the last bad move of Dimitroff and Smith as Falcons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:26 pm 

Roddy's opinion, although one I share, is about as worthy of being insight into what the Falcons are thinking/doing as your 88-year old grandmother's opinion. It's just someone with a big mouth running it.

And selecting Barr doesn't necessarily mean a commitment to anything. Barr could fit very well in a hybrid scheme with him playing the DE/SLB role that Biermann was supposed to play, and Biermann going back to playing with his hand in the dirt.

Profile E-mail