Post subject: NFR: RG3 bragged about influence over franchise's direction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -direction

Report: RG3 bragged that he had influence over franchise's direction
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
January 7, 2014 10:45 am ET

The Redskins are again looking for a head coach and this one will inherit Robert Griffin III, the team's franchise quarterback who was benched for the final three games of the 2013 season as a precautionary measure. For whom, remains unclear, but the man who came up with the idea, Mike Shanahan, has been relieved of his duties.

That leaves Griffin and (reportedly) one of his biggest supporters: team owner Dan Snyder. On Monday, the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins added the latest bit of intrigue to a story about a entitled young quarterback who went from unassuming overachiever as a rookie to spoiled brat in his second season.

"But according to insiders, Griffin's public campaign to have the offense altered for him was just the tip of his egotism in his second year," Jenkins wrote. "Behind closed doors, Griffin had fierce finger-pointing tensions with his wide receivers, and he bragged to teammates that he could procure favors from the owner and influence the franchise's direction."

Jenkins' point: Whomever is the Redskins next head coach, he will have to deal with all this. Of course, we went through this last month when one Redskins source refuted another regarding Griffin's diva status.

But the fact that we're still talking about it suggests that it's something more than idle chatter. Also, remember when wide receiver Pierre Garcon said in October, "If you suck at passing, you suck at passing"? It wasn't a direct shot at RG3, but an overall assessment of the passing game, which ... starts with RG3.

Robert Griffin III is looking for a fresh start in 2014. (USATSI)
Then, following a game against the Eagles a month later that ended on an ill-advised RG3 arm-punt interception into the end zone, the quarterback blamed the loss in part on unoriginal play-calling and wide receivers who couldn't get open.

Santana Moss' response: "Whether you're the receiver, the quarterback, the guys making the tackle, whoever, regardless of the outcome, good or bad, you have to at some point, stand up and say ‘me' or ‘I.”

Jenkins concedes that "not every story about [Griffin's] ego is true, and he is so young that he genuinely may not understand how he was perceived, especially in the flash of stardom."

And that's the thing: RG3 is 23 years old.

Should he have input in the Redskins' next coach? Absolutely. But ultimately, Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen need to hire someone who makes RG3 better as a quarterback and, perhaps more importantly, as a teammate.

Luke 23:34

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: RG3 bragged about influence over franchise's direct
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mike Vick Syndrome?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
Mike Vick Syndrome?

More like Arthur Blank syndrome. When you let a 23 year old think that he's in control of the team, this is exactly how he's going to act. I don't get how owners fall in love with a player like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

RobertAP wrote:
backnblack wrote:
Mike Vick Syndrome?

More like Arthur Blank syndrome. When you let a 23 year old think that he's in control of the team, this is exactly how he's going to act. I don't get how owners fall in love with a player like this.

Good point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
backnblack wrote:
Mike Vick Syndrome?

Because they put asses in the seats, get your team exposure on national TV which in turn means selling tons of apparel. This all means what? More money in the owners pockets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 am 

RobertAP wrote:
I don't get how owners fall in love with a player like this.

Uhhhh, did you watch the Redskins play in 2012? :drugged:

It's like asking how does an owner fall in love with Julio Jones? By watching him play football!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

It's like asking how does an owner fall in love with Julio Jones? By watching him play football!

Granted, but typically ridiculously wealthy people such as Blank and Snyder do not give young/inexperienced people that kind of clout, even if they do something fantastic. What Blank, and apparently Snyder have done is loony tunes.

How often is a 23 year old going to know what's best for the team, as compared to the head coach, GM, etc? You hire players to play, coaches to coach, and GMs to acquire talent. Unless a player has demonstrated, over his career, that he's capable of being in charge, (Peyton Manning) their job is simply to do what the coaches say. It blows me away that an owner would think that they are more than that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

RobertAP wrote:
Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

Granted, but typically ridiculously wealthy people such as Blank and Snyder do not give young/inexperienced people that kind of clout, even if they do something fantastic. What Blank, and apparently Snyder have done is loony tunes.

How often is a 23 year old going to know what's best for the team, as compared to the head coach, GM, etc? You hire players to play, coaches to coach, and GMs to acquire talent. Unless a player has demonstrated, over his career, that he's capable of being in charge, (Peyton Manning) their job is simply to do what the coaches say. It blows me away that an owner would think that they are more than that.

Elway got Reeves run out of Denver so they could hire Shanahan. Serendipity! There's always going to be a bit of the baby-with-hand-grenade aspect to the player/org relationship. I think one of the things that made Ryan so attractive to the Falcs after the Vick fiasco was his reasonableness...maybe too reasonable. As to RGIII, his play on the field has really paled next to the other young guns such as Kapernick and Wilson but it is a team game. How many SBs would the Cowboys or another power house of the era have had if Archie Manning had played for them?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting what is happening here. RG3 is not dictating what direction the team is going in, he's only simply stating the obvious which he has influence over the direction of the team. Of course, he does, just like Matt Ryan has influence over the direction of the Falcons, whether he chooses to exercise it or not.

The issue is how much influence does he have and whether or not these alleged comments by RG3 in regards to that are creating conflict within the Redskins locker room.

And I also think football should be a much more collaborative effort within an organization than you believe Robert...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I agree that there should be collaboration. However, I don't think that you give a 2nd year QB much weight in such situations. Sure, let him have his say, but his say isn't going to carry as much weight as the guy who has been coaching for 20 years.

You are right that we have very little factual info to go on here. That said, it was pretty obvious that Blank was all over Vick's nuts. I can say with a good bit of confidence that Vick had Reeves run out of Atlanta.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
You are right that we have very little factual info to go on here. That said, it was pretty obvious that Blank was all over Vick's nuts. I can say with a good bit of confidence that Vick had Reeves run out of Atlanta.

I wouldn't say that either. Blank took over in 2002, and given that the team hadn't had a winning season in 3 straight years upon his taking the job, meant that Reeves already had a pretty steep hill to climb. Then in 2002, things clicked and the team made a playoff run, just delaying the inevitable. If the Falcons had another losing year that season, there's no doubt Reeves would have been gone. New owners like to bring in their own people. It's the nature of the beast. When you hire a new GM, 9 times out of 10, the current head coach is a short-timer. When you get a new owner, the same thing is true. Reeves was a dead man walking the minute Blank bought the team.

If Vick did anything, it was not "backing" Reeves if/when Blank let it be known that he was making a change. He did the same later with Greg Knapp.

Also those with better memories than my own, back in '03 when Vick was injured, what was Blank's stance on his coming back. I remember Reeves really pushing for Vick to come back (basically to save his job), and Vick not wanting to until he was 100% and could be "him." I don't recall where if at all Blank weighed in on that...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I saw an interview on NFL Network with Jay Gruden after he was hired as the HC in Washington. In the interview he said he had not spoken with RG3, im calling ROBISKIE on that. Everyone and their mother knows that RG3 had a say in who the Redskins hired.

*ROBISKIE-New term to replace Bullsh*t amongst Falcons fans*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:33 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Mattural wrote:
I saw an interview on NFL Network with Jay Gruden after he was hired as the HC in Washington. In the interview he said he had not spoken with RG3, im calling ROBISKIE on that. Everyone and their mother knows that RG3 had a say in who the Redskins hired.

Robiskie=red herring

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
The Mattural wrote:

Robiskie=red herring

That is more of a fitting description for the Robiskie signing.