It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dalton/Bengals = Ryan/Falcons?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Bengals and Dalton sure are reminding me of Ryan and the Falcons of late. Solid regular season, great home record, and bust city in the playoffs. I was also hearing the same 'talk' toward the Bengals as you got the last few years on the Falcons, as in, nobody is afraid of them and everyone actually wants to play them in the playoffs. :down: My question is, why is this the case? At least the Bengals had a #3 ranked defense, something Ryan has never been close to, and D should win in the playoffs, but still they melt down. Is Lewis [11 seasons, ZERO playoff wins] the same type coach as Smith? I've certainly never thought 'Oh, the Bengals are going to out coach their opponent' and the same can be said for Smith and the Falcons. Therefore, are both teams doomed until they get a better coach, even if these two guys seem to be able to get it done consistently in the regular season?

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Dalton/Bengals = Ryan/Falcons?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Did you watch the game MF1? :lol:

The answer is pretty simple. Andy Dalton isn't a very good QB. They turned the ball over 4 times vs. the Chargers, and they lost the game. In 3 playoff losses, they are collectively -7 in turnover margin. You can't afford turnovers in the playoffs, unless you're QB is throwing for 300+ yards and 3+ TDs like Ryan did last year.

Yes, Marvin Lewis is similar to Smith. He's a conservative coach, always has been, and always will be. The difference is that Cincinnati has actually done a fairly good job building a team that can win that way. Their main issue is their underwhelming QB. If Carson Palmer played on this Bengal team, he would be lighting it up.

Ryan on this Bengal team would be 13-14 wins every year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dalton/Bengals = Ryan/Falcons?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:09 pm 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/cincinn ... dy-dalton/

Cincinnati has reached the playoffs in three consecutive years. And in three consecutive years they’ve lost, and Dalton has been just abysmal. What else would you call seven turnovers and single touchdown in three games?

This team was too good to go out with such an underwhelming whimper. The Bengals were 11-5 this season, but 8-0 at home. Undefeated. But this loss, a 27-10 loss to a 9-7 Chargers team that probably didn’t even belong in the playoffs, will reduce the Bengals to — well the Bengals.

Cincinnati may well lament what could have been, but everywhere else this team won’t get another second’s consideration because — well, it’s Cincinnati. This season should have been more than another first round loss in the playoffs. The Bengals have experienced five of those losses under Marvin Lewis since 2003.

In fairness, Lewis came into Cincinnati and turned the Bengals around. This was a 2-14 team in 2002, the year before Lewis arrived. With him, the Bengals reached the playoffs for the first time since 1990, and then returned four more times. It was an impressive feat in 2005.

But its 2014 now, and progress has plateaued.

Dalton isn’t capable of getting the Bengals beyond the wild card game. He’s proven that not once, not twice, but three times. Lewis has failed to get over the hump five times.

“When things don’t go right, the quarterback is going to get the blame,” Dalton said. “I’m willing to take every shot at me. You’ve got to have thick skin.”

You also have to show signs of improvement. After watching Dalton throw two atrocious interceptions, it’s hard to see where that improvement will come from.

Cincinnati has to evaluate its quarterback and its coach in the offseason and ask a simple question:

Is this good enough?

If 11-5 seasons followed by one-and-done performance in the playoffs is the standard the Bengals want to set, then ride with Lewis and Dalton. But if the organization aspires to be something greater, something more, then there must be change and there must be improvement.

Profile E-mail