PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

'Everything is right on schedule'

Q and A: Falcons rookie Jimmy Williams

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/19/06

Falcons cornerback Jimmy Williams can't wait to get the pads on when training camp starts in late July. Minicamp and workouts have given him a taste of NFL life but he hasn't been able to hit anybody, so he's not feeling quite whole. Williams spoke with beat writer Steve Wyche about how things have gone since being disappointingly drafted in the second round.

Q. With minicamp and workouts finished, how do you feel you've adapted?

A. "Everything is right on schedule as far as getting the concepts of the defense and understanding what they're asking of me. It's been fun. I found myself watching more than playing. I'm out there with some greats — Mike Vick, John Abraham, Lawyer Milloy. I don't feel like and NFL player yet. I feel like a freshman in college in a way."

Q. What was your welcome to the NFL moment?

A. "The first minicamp practice, going against Roddy White in one-on-ones. Getting beat like that, I was like, 'So this is how it's going to be.' I'm sure I'll feel it more when I come back for training camp when I figure out how they treat the rookies."

Q. Which receiver has given you the most problems?

A. "Brian Finneran. He's the vet out there. The way he runs his routes, how he goes about his business and how he catches the ball. He catches about everything. He's the best receiver we've got."

Q. What is the biggest adjustment to the NFL?

A. "Trying to figure out what it is that they truly want me to do, as far as technique, and how I go about guarding receivers. I have to get my hands on them at the line, run with them and figure out whether I need to be on the outside or inside shoulder. Finishing out the play all the way through to was different. Coaches watch from the start of the play to the end of the play. Trying to finish the whole play instead of looking away when it doesn't look like the quarterback is throwing your way is something I had to get used to."

Q. So much of your game is predicated on the physical nature of the sport and hitting. Is it hard to get a read on how effective you can be at this level in non-contact workouts?

A. "That's my game. I'm used to getting my hands on the people and when I'm able to do that, they're not going to be happy about it. I'm not trying to talk any trash. I just know my game and what I'm capable of doing. It's going to be tough for a lot of receivers once I get it down. It will be much easier for me than it is right now. I can't wait. I'm trying to earn a spot as far as playing right away."

Q. How have they used you?

A. I'm the backup right corner behind [Jason] Webster. I'm starting at corner in the nickel and other packages. I'm on punt, punt return, kickoff and kickoff return teams."

Q. DeAngelo Hall, who you kind of grew up with and played with at Virginia Tech, has really reached out to you. What types of things has he done and how has that helped?

A. "He's more like a brother than friend. I'm staying with him. We look over film. I sit beside him in meetings. Off the field we talk about things, about the business side of this game. We reminisce about times in college. Having somebody that close, who knows so much about you, it's a beautiful thing."

Q. Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle crash has brought a lot of attention to players taking risks off the field. Do you do anything that could be deemed as dangerous and what did you learn from that?

A. "I don't ride. As far as skydiving and things like that, I value my life a little too much to do that. I'm trying to play a few more years. I stay away from that. I can wait until I get to 35 years old before skydiving or something like that. The only time I come off the ground is to dunk. Now, I don't even really do that. I shoot from the outside. You don't have to worry about Jimmy Williams."

Q. What are your expectations [after the draft]?

A. "I'm still a little disappointed about the draft but it's a motivation that I want and need to be a better player. Not coming in as highly drafted as I wanted, it will push me to be in the forefront of the league by the end of the year. Maybe that's what I needed. Everything else is right on schedule. I couldn't have been on a better team. I could have been a first-rounder but I could have been on a team where I wouldn't have had DeAngelo, I wouldn't have had Mike. I wake up everyday with a smile on my face because I am an NFL player."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Q. Which receiver has given you the most problems?

A. "Brian Finneran. He's the vet out there. The way he runs his routes, how he goes about his business and how he catches the ball. He catches about everything. He's the best receiver we've got."

I find it amazing that the coaches will not allow him to start. He is our most capable and consistent receiver and has the large frame to excel in the endzone. It boggles my mind that they don't get him on the field on every down.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Finn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Don't get me started on Finn... PLEASE DON'T GET ME STARTED ON FINN!! :evil: Well, at least the management was smart enough to resign him as a free agent.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:32 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Finn doesn't have the one thing that people seem to think matters most, breakaway speed. He's consistent, and steady, but he's not fast.

To that I say a loud "SO WHAT????" all he does is produce when given a chance. Maybe after this season we'll think differently after seeing Jenkins and White, but until someone takes it from him the title of "Falcon's best WR" is Finn's to lose.

If they won't give him a starting position on either side, then we need to run more 3 WR sets to get Jenk, White, Finn and Crump on the field at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:14 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Finn's upside is so limited that's why. He and Jenkins are similar players iMO, except Jenkins is a little quicker. But I think if you could maximize those 3 players, Finn is better as the #3 since he creates so many matchup issues with your typical NFL nickel back who is only 5'9".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:20 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

With this cast of TE's we should seriously consider almost completely dumping the two TE set except in goalline or inches type situations and using the 3 WR set in its place in the scripting of plays. Seems like we run two TE sets a lot...and they arent fooling anyone.

If Alge blocks the defense is thankful because we just took away one of our own best receiving weapons or screamed at the opposing MLB and Safeties "RUNNING PLAY!"

If Beverly goes out for a pass, the defense laughs cause if they have watched any film of Beverly's receiving ability they know he couldnt catch the Bird Flu standing underneath an Asian telephone poll.

At least with a 3 WR set with a single TE (Alge) the defense has to fear all possible receivers on the field while still honoring the run game. With 2 TE's on the field, we might as well tell the defense how to play cause we just drastically limited out own options and threats. He's the least eligible receiving TE in the league. They should just call his position Xtra Tackle.

More 3 WR 1 TE sets and less two TE sets would be an improvement and a better utilization of talent.

Predictability could be the Falcons biggest problem IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:36 am 

Well the difference between our 2 TE set and most other teams is our 2nd TE isn't really a tight end. He's basically a 3rd OT. So even though it's not hard to figure what's coming when the offense lines up it still makes it easier said than done to stop him, since it is basically an OL getting a free shot on a LB or S in Beverly.

But I agree we should see more 3 WR sets if for nothing else just to mix things up some more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Finn
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Plus, Finn is a blocking machine!

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

As of right now i don't have a problem with this b/c Finn's a savy vet, but I'm hoping by half way through the year, or next offseason this isn't the case anymore. Solely for the fact that I hope Roddy & Jenk can surpass him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:18 pm 

Our receivers really should be able to create nightmare match ups on a regular basis. Few can match up against Crumpler and then toss in Finneran coming out of the slot and we should almost always have an advantage over the middle. If they commit to Crump & Finneran that almost guarantees at least man coverage deep to Jenkins or White and White has the afterburners to get seperation and Jenkins has the size to get the jump ball.

I'm expecting a lot from our receivers this year to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:38 pm 

dirtybirdnw wrote:

Well, I'm not if you consider "a lot" to be more than having the majority of their box scores being better than 4 catches for 51 yards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:

Well, I'm not if you consider "a lot" to be more than having the majority of their box scores being better than 4 catches for 51 yards.

The type of offense we have, I don't think you'll ever see "big" numbers from our receivers. But, if Rowdy and Jenkins average 51 yards a game, finneran get's say 40 and the "Crump Truck" gets his usual 80 - 85 yards per contest, that's about 225 passing yards for Vick. Throw in 1.5 touchdowns a game and Vick and this offense will have 3,600 yards through the air and 24 TD's. I would be happy with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:41 pm 

Let me qualify 'a lot' in that I'm expecting them to perform at a high level not necessarily generate massive statistics. Having a 1,000 yard receiver in this offense would probably be nothing short of a miracle.

I'm expecting Jenkins, Roddy, and Finn to not drop passes like they did last year. To actually run solid routes and on occasion get seperation or win those jump balls. There where lots of instances where balls where dropped that should have been caught.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Let me qualify 'a lot' in that I'm expecting them to perform at a high level not necessarily generate massive statistics. Having a 1,000 yard receiver in this offense would probably be nothing short of a miracle.

I'm expecting Jenkins, Roddy, and Finn to not drop passes like they did last year. To actually run solid routes and on occasion get seperation or win those jump balls. There where lots of instances where balls where dropped that should have been caught.

I agree Dirty, in the NFL, receivers get paid to hold onto the pigskin. But, this raises the age old question.....does Vick throw a "catchable" ball? We all know he needs to work on his touch, but, he is also left handed. I can almost garauntee that all our receivers have caught righties their whole lives. Last year in practice, who was throwing to Rowdy Roddy and Jenkins a majority of the time? Schaub...the righty.

Just a thought or a theory......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

- well put, cause all that rectified would equal success to me too. we all know we're still gonna run the ball for the majority of the time anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:23 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pudge wrote:
Quote:
Well the difference between our 2 TE set and most other teams is our 2nd TE isn't really a tight end. He's basically a 3rd OT.

Which begs the question of why our pass blocking is so bad. I mean if we have a TE out there that is a former OL, he should be good at blocking. With an extra tackle on the field, there really is no excuse for the poor pass blocking we've seen.

I mean are the starting members of the OL that bad that even adding an extra tackle isn't enough to slow the opposing pass rush???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:33 pm 

[quote="DToews"]
Which begs the question of why our pass blocking is so bad. I mean if we have a TE out there that is a former OL, he should be good at blocking. With an extra tackle on the field, there really is no excuse for the poor pass blocking we've seen.[\quote]

The entire offensive line is geared for run blocking which at the end of the day helps our pass blocking. I say that because if our running game is hitting even on 4 of 6 cylinders it opens up a lot of play action and QB option plays which help make up for the lack of a good pass blocking lane. This O-line isn't built to sustain blocks for a long period of time. They are built to get a gap open and then shed the defender and move up field.

The lack of great pass blocking I attribute more to the blocking scheme then the talent (or lack there of) on the offensive line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:13 pm 

DToews wrote:
Which begs the question of why our pass blocking is so bad. I mean if we have a TE out there that is a former OL, he should be good at blocking. With an extra tackle on the field, there really is no excuse for the poor pass blocking we've seen.

I mean are the starting members of the OL that bad that even adding an extra tackle isn't enough to slow the opposing pass rush???

Well, I would say that with a 2nd TE on the field, it's our max protect set, which means that an eligible receiver is off the field. That player would most likely be the #2 WR, RB, or FB. That probably means taking Griffith, Dunn, or Jenkins off the field. Frankly, that extra pass protection is usually not worth losing the extra receiving option.

I've seen the Falcons adjust to a max protect when one of our OTs is struggling against a pass rusher. Those players are often division guys like Rucker, Peppers, and/or Rice. If the Colts are on the schedule, you'd expect to see more against Freeney, and other top pass rushers. But the truth of the matter is that although many of those pass rushers give Shaffer and Weiner a hard, it usually is not to the level where the Falcons are forced to use a lot of max protect sets. Usually Vick's mobility can somewhat neutralize that need for an extra pass protector.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:21 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:

Well, when your TE is hands down the best receiver for several years running, when your main running back also has as many catches as your supposed number two man (29), and when your number three (Finn) has almost twice as many as the number one, then, yes we are experiencing a learning curve.