It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: Raiders DE Lamarr Houston expects to be moving on
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:32 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He'll be one of the top 5 impending free agents along the DL. Capable of playing DE, DT, and even standing up at LB on occasion.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci ... -be-moving

Raiders notebook: Lamarr Houston expects to be moving on
By Jerry McDonald

jmcdonald@bayareanewsgroup.com

POSTED: 12/29/2013 07:37:06 PM PST | UPDATED: ABOUT 12 HOURS AGO

OAKLAND -- Defensive end Lamarr Houston is preparing himself for the second phase of his career.

Houston, scheduled for unrestricted free agency, started all 16 games at right end for the Raiders in 2013 after previously playing on the left side as well as occasionally inside at tackle.

He recorded his team-leading sixth sack against Peyton Manning in a 34-14 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday at O.co Coliseum and has been talked up by coach Dennis Allen as a core player, yet seemed to think he would be going elsewhere in 2014.

"I believe that Dennis Allen and the Raiders might be looking to move on and have me go to another team and find something more what they want for their system and their scheme," Houston said. "Who knows? It's a rough business, and nothing's guaranteed, and everything changes from day to day."

Houston and left tackle Jared Veldheer stand to be the most popular Raiders on the free-agent market. The Raiders have the franchise tag available, projected to be $12.6 million for a defensive end. The projected tag for an offensive lineman is $11.2 million.

The Raiders could opt to lock up either Houston or Veldheer long-term and then franchise the other, if they're determined to keep both players. They are expected to have some $50 million under the cap, with 17 players in all scheduled for unrestricted free agency.

Veldheer, who missed the first 11 games of the season after surgery to repair a torn left triceps, is hoping to return to the Raiders.

"Going through an injury, that kind of screws that stuff up, but I'm sure now that there's time, it will start to heat up again, and I definitely want to be a Raider for life."

Profile E-mail