MMQB on CNNSI.com

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

User avatar
SmorgasBorgnine
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 1241
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

MMQB on CNNSI.com

Postby SmorgasBorgnine » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:22 pm

They have us as having the #3 draft class of 2001. We did get 3 current starters--Vick, Crump and Forney. Garza and Matt Stewart were also mentioned. The #1 was Cincinnati and #2 was Carolina. Peter King had San Diego #5, but said earlier that it was a draw between us and them for the Vick-LT trade.
Image

User avatar
dirtybirdnw
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4526
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA
Contact:

Postby dirtybirdnw » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:00 pm

And MMQB called the Vick for LT/Brees deal a wash as neither team has won a title and each team got equivilant value for the player they aquired.
Fear the BEARD!

vverhei
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:55 pm

Postby vverhei » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:13 pm

dirtybirdnw wrote:And MMQB called the Vick for LT/Brees deal a wash as neither team has won a title and each team got equivilant value for the player they aquired.


I don't mean to pick on you, because I think King made the same mistake, but I hate it when they call it the "Vick for LT/Brees" deal. Brees wasn't part of the deal, SD picked him with their own second-rounder. It was Vick for Tomlinson, Tim Dwight, Reche Caldwell and one or two other guys.

User avatar
SmorgasBorgnine
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 1241
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Postby SmorgasBorgnine » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:33 pm

I do believe this trade has been beneficial to both teams. I find it hard to image SD having any success following the Manning mutiny if LT an Brees hadn't worked out so well for them. Can you imagine any free agents that would have wanted to play for them after all the mud that was slung their way by the Mannings, had they finished 8-8 or worse.

For the Falcons, it gave us a legitimate superstar that could be marketed outside of Atlanta. I really doubt we would have ANY monday night games if Vick had not gone to us. He has given our franchise a face, and hopefully, one day will be a big part in consitent postseason success. I think it was a good draft for both teams, although SD really messed up letting Brees go this year and drafting Manning/Rivers.
Image

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26395
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby Pudge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:19 pm

The trade is essentially Vick for Tomlinson, because the other aspects of it: Tay Cody and Reche Caldwell were starters at certain points during their Chargers careers but were inconsistent. Cody was gone by the end of his 2nd year and Caldwell just signed with NE this past off-season.

You do have to give Ron Hill some credit for a pretty good 2001 draft. Not many other teams found 2 Pro Bowlers in that draft.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

BENT21
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby BENT21 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:28 pm

LT has to grade out a little higher than Vick at this point. Vick graded higher a couple of years ago...but this past years inconsistency dropped his stock substansially. One solid season from Vick though, and it could tip the other way. Right now though, Vick has a lot of people asking questions while LT is a solid MVP candidate. Vick wasnt even the MVP of this team last season. Its not really a fair arguement though...people generally expect QB's to get better and better every year, while with Halfbacks youy kind of expect them to be great by year 3 and put in 4 or 5 great years of consistently solid performaces. Its just a different barometer. Right now, LT is about as high on the barometer of what you expect from a halfback as you can get...while Vick barometer seems to be bouncing around and still figuring out where to settle in.

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26395
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby Pudge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:54 pm

If you consider how they rank among the rest of their position, then LT grades out better. IMO, he's the best back in the league. Vick isn't the best QB in the league and when you put him on the same field as Tom Brady (who IMO is), it's not close.

But if you rank them on their impact to their respective teams, then I think they are about even.

All things considered, I would agree that LT is probably the better overall player. BUt as you said it's so hard to compare a QB and a RB. QB is the most important position on the field. RB is probably #2, but could be argued has greater impact (but not importance) than QB. I wouldn't say it's apples and oranges, but more like apples and pears.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

User avatar
dirtybirdnw
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4526
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA
Contact:

Postby dirtybirdnw » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:30 pm

BENT21 wrote:LT has to grade out a little higher than Vick at this point. Vick graded higher a couple of years ago...but this past years inconsistency dropped his stock substansially. One solid season from Vick though, and it could tip the other way.


Hmmmm.....

Vick & The Falcons: 02 NFC Wild Card & NFC Divisional Game, 04 Divisional Game & NFC Championship Game

LT & The Bolts: 04 Wild Card Game

At the end of the day the measure of a players value is whether or not they win championships and was core piece of a playoff contender. If you take Vick off this squad and put LT on this squad I got money that says the Falcons have 1 WC loss vs 4 Playoff games.

Vick may not be the most refined Quarterback in the league but he is among the most dangerous weapons to strap on cleats.
Fear the BEARD!

User avatar
BirdBrain
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner
Posts: 12233
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:16 am
Location: Aschaffenburg, Germany

Postby BirdBrain » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:26 am

dirtybirdnw wrote:
BENT21 wrote:LT has to grade out a little higher than Vick at this point. Vick graded higher a couple of years ago...but this past years inconsistency dropped his stock substansially. One solid season from Vick though, and it could tip the other way.


Hmmmm.....

Vick & The Falcons: 02 NFC Wild Card & NFC Divisional Game, 04 Divisional Game & NFC Championship Game

LT & The Bolts: 04 Wild Card Game

At the end of the day the measure of a players value is whether or not they win championships and was core piece of a playoff contender. If you take Vick off this squad and put LT on this squad I got money that says the Falcons have 1 WC loss vs 4 Playoff games.

Vick may not be the most refined Quarterback in the league but he is among the most dangerous weapons to strap on cleats.




Hummmmm.......it must be really dark inside Vick's colon. :lol:


Return to “The Huddle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest