It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never do that again!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

After Alford came away with a fumble and pitched it to Trufant who got us nearly info field goal range, Smith grabbed Alford by the helmet and told him, "Never do that again."

I hate Mike Smith. Save that crap for the film room on Monday. Don't yell at your rookie corner who just made a great play to give us a chance to win the game.

Post subject: Re: Never do that again!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
After Alford came away with a fumble and pitched it to Trufant who got us nearly info field goal range, Smith grabbed Alford by the helmet and told him, "Never do that again."

I hate Mike Smith. Save that crap for the film room on Monday. Don't yell at your rookie corner who just made a great play to give us a chance to win the game.

You are 100% wrong. Pat him on the back and make an immediate correction to instill the lesson. Basic coaching. It was a stupid thing to do and that should be reinforced immediately.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:41 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Wease wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

You are 100% wrong. Pat him on the back and make an immediate correction to instill the lesson. Basic coaching. It was a stupid thing to do and that should be reinforced immediately.

Wease is right. This was the same complaint that you had a year ago when Asante made a big pick early in the game but drew a 15-yard penalty that eventually cost the Falcons four points. Basic coaching as Wease says. Hell, that's a basic life lesson. Whether you're a parent disciplining your children or a employer chiding an employee, you don't wait to discipline. You do so immediately, otherwise it doesn't stick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I hate Mike Smith

All you need to know about what spawned this post. :down:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You guys wonder why this team has no heart. This is it. When someone finally makes a play that makes a difference in the outcome of the game, we yell at them. I hope that Alford doesn't let the coaching staff tear him down the way that everyone else on this team has been torn down.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Come on Rob the team has heart or they wouldn't have showed at all.

We don't know what Coach Smith said or how he said it..... Your thinking he got bitched out....

What if Coach Smith said "I love you and what a great play; now if you ever have the hands on the ball I'll kill you; if my best threat laterals..... Please No Laterals.....

The way he says it changes everything and we all have our opinions based on what we think someone says or does.

Coach Smith thinks highly of Alford because his talent is pure but inexperienced. He's letting him get a lot of playing time.

Its ok to hate Coach Smith, sometimes you really do have to win a Super Bowl to win over
everybody, I also would like to see a much better pass rush; and naturally protect Ryan better!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:53 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
You guys wonder why this team has no heart. This is it. When someone finally makes a play that makes a difference in the outcome of the game, we yell at them. I hope that Alford doesn't let the coaching staff tear him down the way that everyone else on this team has been torn down.

The question you need to ask yourself, what if Alford had lateraled and Trufant bobbled the ball and either Robert Woods or T.J. Graham (both who were in the vicinity) fell on the ball?

That would have given the Bills a 1st down inside the Falcons 40 yard-line, which means that they don't have to get a first down and are likely in field goal range. And if they are able to move the ball, maybe they score a TD and the game is over, all because Robert Alford made the stupid decision of lateraling the ball.

Regardless of the result of the play, the lateral was a dumb decision, no different than Nate Clements trying to get a pick six back in '10. And Alford deserves to get chewed out for that.

You can make great plays but just because you made a great play doesn't give you carte blanch to make stupid mental errors after them. Asante drawing a 15-yard penalty or Alford risking negating the turnover with a lateral are stupid mental errors just the same as Nate Clements not just taking a knee and allowing San Fran to win the game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't need to ask myself that question because that's not what happened. If that had happened, then sure, yell at Alford. When players take risks and they pay off, pat them on the butt and move on. In the film room on Monday, say, "please don't do this again." But what Smith did was nothing more than being a buzzkill. He did the same thing to Samuel last year, and it took the wind out of our sails.

This is an occasion where Smith should pull out his stupid little book and write it down. If Smith had done that to me, in my mind, I'd be like, "screw that old fart." We got to see Samuel respond exactly that way last year. As a player who just made a great play, you aren't going to give a crap that the coach is mad at you for something.

Perhaps you guys didn't play football and you don't really get it. You don't take the wind out of your own sails.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:46 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

^^Sort of like how Vick and Crumpler used to make up plays in the huddle and run them and when they'd get to the sidelines Reeves would say, "Great play!" Sort of like when defenders free lance and leave the area they are supposed to cover because they have a hunch what is going to happen? There is emotional football and there is smart football and they do not have to be mutually exclusive. They already said they actually practice laterally thusly at practice but you need to know what point int he game you are in. When the machine breaks down we break down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMtynUMOKSY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:08 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
If Smith had done that to me, in my mind, I'd be like, "screw that old fart." We got to see Samuel respond exactly that way last year. As a player who just made a great play, you aren't going to give a crap that the coach is mad at you for something.

And that Robert, is what we call immaturity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:39 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Does it matter that Smith has won a single playoff game? Would a rookie embrace this comment from a guy that he's only seen guide the team to 3 wins? I'm not saying Smith was wrong in what he did, but I wonder if he has the correct control on the team at this point. This might work for Bill and the Patriots, but has Smith proven enough in the league that he can grab a rookie during all this misery and bitch at him after a huge play? Watching Pete Carrol tonight I'm damn sure he wouldn't have done what Smith did. Not saying the Carrol is all that and a bag of chips, but his team has his back like few I've seen.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

Perhaps you guys didn't play football and you don't really get it. You don't take the wind out of your own sails.

No I sincerely don't understand what your saying. I played at a huge high school in Tennessee and the town takes their high school football very seriously. We had the best coaches money could buy, I had two head coaches in 3 years and the two were different. I remember picking up a fumble; after causing it; then the ball came out; but our team still recovered the football.

The coach told me " don't try to pick a football up with people around you; would you just fall on the dang thing" My actions got us the football but I'd never run with one in organized football......I thought the coach was right, I knew how to fall on a football but didn't know how to run with one. However I was pleased with my actions of causing a fumble that resulted in us getting the football. I knew the coach wasn't angry because I really got our team the football; but I did say to myself, that will be the only time I run with the football unless its a fluke.

I think the situation is kinda similar; I wasn't looking for praise on any one play; I WANTED PRAISE IN THE FILM ROOM for the whole game. I was yelled at for nothing before (IMO)
but I don't think you should take it personally; everyone was getting praise while taking s***....ITS PART OF BEING A PLAYER i THINK?? So I don't understand unless your really sensitive.?

Quote:
s***, Smith coached RAY Lewis and other defenses; this team has always had his back to besides DeAngelo Hall, all disputes have been in house!! Smith has earned respect coming from Tennessee Tech as a linebacker coach.

To end the story since i brought you this far; is I wanted a scholarship to Tenn.; I was recruited but not chosen. So I didn't want to play anywhere else; and I could afford to go to school without a scholarship; so those three years and 3 years in Junior High & boys club was it for me.