It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If we had lost to Seattle in the playoffs?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ok, let's say that the Falcons don't make that last minute drive to win the game that they fell flat on their faces in after a big lead last year in the playoffs. Would it make this year better simply for the fact that Blank might actually get rid of Smith? Having seen how woeful the coaching actually is this year, I'm still thinking Smith gets another year which he might not have if he'd had yet another early playoff exit. I see two problems here, 1) Smith isn't a good coach, and 2) Ryan isn't an elite QB who can bring us 4-6 wins a year no matter how bad our team stinks. That said, I've no interest in getting rid of Ryan who with the correct parts could get a SB win [management style], but I've no faith in Smith as a coach taking us to the promised land. Thoughts?

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: If we had lost to Seattle in the playoffs?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Why? :hand:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:22 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sure I understand. Is the question: Would the Falcons have been better off had they lost to the Seahawks last January, because it would have likely meant that Mike Smith wouldn't be coaching the team?

I don't know. Ask me again if/when we get Jadeveon Clowney.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We don't know what would have happened. I wish Blank didn't put such high expectations out in public; he can tell the players himself what he expects. Fans can be to negative; or too over the top.

I kinda felt in preseason when we went 0-4 and played poorly, that we were just waiting for the playoffs..... Well we guess a lot here because you'd have to be with the team on a daily basis to really know the temperature!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:51 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I'm not sure I understand. Is the question: Would the Falcons have been better off had they lost to the Seahawks last January, because it would have likely meant that Mike Smith wouldn't be coaching the team?

I don't know. Ask me again if/when we get Jadeveon Clowney.

aint gonna happen. wanna know why?

here is the remaining schedule :

HOU - JAX, IND, DEN, TEN
JAX - HOU, BUF, TEN, IND
WAS - KC, ATL, DAL, NYG
ATL - GB, WAS, SF, CAR
TB - BUF, SF, STL, NO
MIN - BAL, PHI, CIN, DET

so basically, we will win vs the Skins, and also against the scrubs from Carolina..When it all shakes out, we will not be picking in the top of round one. The only way we could get Clowney is to trade up. If TD was to do that, this season, it will send a message to our 100 million dollar QB that his health is less a priority then fixing the defense. The abuse Matt Ryan has been taking this year is unprecedented. I am simply amazed that this tough MFer is still on his feet... :ninja:

Look, Clowney is a very,very good football player. I would venture to say he is the best DE in college football, and in the top 5 of all current players. I wouldn't mind if he fell to us, but I just don't see that happening. But the way some people hype him like he is a 'once in a decade' type player is a little hyperbolic. This guy is not going to be Aundrey Bruce, or Jam 98, but I don't see him becoming a rookie of the year, either. IMO he is probably going to struggle in his first year in the league until the game slows down for him, and by this time next year the same folks who are saying he will be a dominant force are going to be calling him a bust. There is too much raw talent in this kid for that to happen. By his second season, or at the end of next year he will be an amazing DE...

Pudge, I think you need to become resigned to the fact that were not going to get Clowney.I know you alluded to this with your 'if/when'.. We will address the lines with our first 2 picks, and we will probably end up drafting a guy like Dominique Easley when all is said and done if he falls to the 3rd.. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:56 pm 

It's still too early to tell. Again, it's the first week of December. The draft isn't until the first week of May. There is a lot that can happen in the next 5 months.

Clowney could be the first player selected in the draft. He could be the 7th player selected in the draft. Hell, he could fall to pick No. 23. Nobody knows right now, and anybody that says they do is full of ish. But here's my attempt at prognosticating:

St. Louis has Washington's pick, and with Robert Quinn and Chris Long, aren't likely to be in the Clowney sweepstakes.

Houston could use another pass rusher since Brooks REed & Whitney Mercilus aren't lighting the world on fire, but it's more likely they would prefer Anthony Barr over Clowney since he's an ideal fit in a 3-4.

Jacksonville could definitely use a pass-rusher, but probably will only draft one if they get a veteran QB like Matt SChaub or something. We'll see how that plays out.

Tampa Bay almost certainly would take a pass rusher like Clowney if he's there. CLowney + Glennon is probably a lot better than Bowers + Bridgewater.

The Vikings also will probably be in a position to take CLowney as well, since Clowney + Freeman is better than Griffen + Bridgewater (or whomever).

Houston probably has at most 2 more wins on their schedule. So let's say they get to 4-12.
Jacksonville probably has no more than 1 win left on their schedule. But let's assume not, and they pick 3-13.
If Atlanta beats Washington, then the REdskins will be hard-pressed to get another win, so they finish 3-13 and give up that pick to St. Louis.
Tampa Bay could beat Buffalo next week at home, so they can get to 4-12.
Minnesota is probably stuck at 3.5 wins.

So here's your draft order:

1. Jacksonville
2. St. Louis (from Washington)
3. Minnesota
4. Houston
5. Atlanta
6. Tampa Bay

With that in mind, I probably wouldn't put $$$ down that the Falcons get Clowney. But again, we won't really have a good idea how this draft will shake up until after the combine which is basically 3 months away.

People should not be crying in their soup, just yet.

Profile E-mail