Post subject: Roddy White, Falcons expected to reach extension
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:12 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -extension

Roddy White, Falcons expected to reach extension

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: Nov. 21, 2013 at 06:49 p.m. Updated: Nov. 21, 2013 at 08:32 p.m.

Coach Mike Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff aren't the only long-running members of the Atlanta Falcons with secure futures.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Thursday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access Kickoff" that both the Falcons and wide receiver Roddy White expect to hammer out a "reasonable" long-term extension in the offseason.

The Falcons do not expect to have salary-cap issues in 2014, but extending White would presumably lower his $6.3 million cap figure in the final year of his contract. In the midst of his worst season since becoming a full-time starter in 2007, White will pick up his last big signing bonus as he enters the back-nine of his career.

Whereas White's next contract seems like a fait accompli, the front office has yet to start talks with Julio Jones, per Rapoport, who will enter the final season of his rookie contract next season. As the team's best player and one of the top young skill-position players in the league, Jones likely will take aim at the eight-year, $128.5 million contract signed by Larry Fitzgerald in 2011.

Although the Falcons arguably have been the NFL's biggest disappointment this season, NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reports owner Arthur Blank expects Smith and Dimitroff to "rectify this with a vengeance" next season.

Toward that end, Blank is committed to spending big in a critical offseason as Dimitroff is tasked with rebuilding both the offensive and defensive lines.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roddy White, Falcons expected to reach extension
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I would have bet most anything that next year would have been Roddy's last in Atlanta. I'm okay with him staying at a lower cost of course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:31 pm 

So they do plan on keeping the band together.

I'm completely fine with Atlanta extending Roddy White another 1 to 2 years at a reasonable price. Thought, this article seems to indicate that Roddy will be sticking around long term which tells me this is more like a 3-4 year deal.

I think Roddy has a base contract of $5.6 million this year with another $5 million base next year (not to mention prorated bonuses). If you take that final $5 million + $1.3 million in prorated signing-bonus ($6.3 million) and spread it out over 3 years that would be acceptable making his contract about $2.1 per year. I would guess they'll give him a 3-4 year contact with a higher dollar value and back load it.

I hope the Falcon's don't give Roddy a deal based on what he has done; but, rather a deal on what he has left.

Bigger deal is next year when Julio enters his final rookie contract year and will be due a big payday. Now that he's had a foot injury in the same place over the span of 2 years you have to start questioning his durability before giving him a Megatron-esque deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:19 pm 

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I hope the Falcon's don't give Roddy a deal based on what he has done; but, rather a deal on what he has left.

That'll be the day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:47 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Think Roddy gets a 6 year deal but just in numbers and it'll be more of a 3 year deal. I think Pudge wrote the other day hat Roddy in the slot would be good so maybe we can trade for a Josh Gordon or pick up a #2 WR and move Roddy in the slot. We'd still need line help and a good RB but I don't mind Roddy staying around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We continue to fail to notice that Harry Douglas is our leading receiver by a long shot. I guess he's chopped liver. We don't need to acquire a #2 WR. We need to find some young guys to develop at WR, most importantly, someone that can stretch the field if Julio goes down. We don't need to draft Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald 2, or Julio Jones 2, we just need someone who's capable of getting down there and competing for a deep pass. Harry, Roddy, and Johnson are not players who can do that, they are all possession/slot receivers.

We need to build our lines. Matt Ryan has shown this year that he can throw to just about anyone if we give him enough time. We haven't been giving him enough time. If you want to make moves, spend the off-season developing the lines. Draft some mid round WRs who have speed and height. Enough of the short, shifty guys. We have enough Welker wanna-be's on this team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:10 am 

starley657 wrote:
I think Pudge wrote the other day hat Roddy in the slot would be good so maybe we can trade for a Josh Gordon or pick up a #2 WR and move Roddy in the slot.

That'll be the day.

Profile E-mail