It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The LOVE some teams receive is just,...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

...well, this is just funny,...

AP reports the Eagles seem(seem?lol) deeper on both lines than they were last year. OLT William "Tra" Thomas' absence from team workouts at this camp after going back on blood thinners was at least mildly troubling(just mildly troubling eh?), but second-round rookie(KEY WORDS,...ROOKIE, SECOND-ROUND PICK) OT Winston Justice looked smooth and solid(Oh yeah,...gotta look smooth and solid in T-shirts and undies). Reid said yesterday that if he had to start camp without Thomas - though Thomas is expected to be OK - he would probably stick with Justice instead of moving OL Todd Herremans back to tackle from guard and subbing for Herremans(because Herremans would be eaten alive by D-ends). That's an indication that Justice has been impressive. "He made progress. We threw a lot at him and got him in the mix there," Reid said. Justice said playing in a pro-style college offense at USC has helped him. "USC has a very complex offense, just like the Eagles do," Justice said. "Some of the plays are similar, you just need to match the name with the actual play." Reid also touted the progress of OG Scott Young, a guard drafted in the fifth round last year from BYU who spent most of his rookie season on the Eagles' practice squad(impressive credentials,...if he was a Falcons lineman, he'd be called an overachiever, smallish and another low draft pick playing on the line). "He looked like he made quite a bit of improvement," HC Andy Reid said. Reid noted that Young didn't play much offensive line in college - he switched from nose tackle for his final season. On defense, DC Jim Johnson implied this week that first-round pick Brodrick Bunkley got off to a bit of a slow start at defensive tackle but came along toward the end(a rookie starting on the D-line is almost always a liability in certain situations during a game, fact). New DE Darren Howard is confident he can slide inside on passing downs(which means he can't pass rush effectively off the corner against O-tackles), something that looks even more attractive with second-year DE Trent Cole showing strong progress(another young guy that is showing "progress?"). DE Jevon Kearse seems rejuvenated(he had better be,...his is the only name I've read in this article that comes close to impressing).

This is just laughable,...all this love for a rookie, a second year guy that played on the practice squad last season, a former tackle playing guard so he won't get toasted by D-ends,...another rookie on the D-line, an old washed up DE that might pass rush from the tackle spot, another second year guy and Jevon Kearse. Just too funny.

Oh but the Falcons O-line is smallish and has too many low round draft picks playing,...the Falcons D-line is smallish too and the acquisition of Abe won't help because he doesn't play the run well.

It just amazes me to see some teams get this positive stuff all the time,...even when it's not warranted. What this article tells me is that the Eagles will struggle mightily in 2006,...the total reverse opposite of what the writer was trying to convey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

One thing I've found interesting over the years is how overrated the Eagles O-line has been. Fact is, although Runyon is a good RT, but he's been over the hill for several years. Still a good run blocker and not too mcuh of a liability as a pass protector, but if you have been reading what the media has been saying about him over the past 4 or so years, you would think he could be an LT on 75% of the teams in the NFL. Thomas is pretty good, but not special. Andrews and Hicks were so overrated last year as guards. They were flagged a combined 19 times, our entire starting five was only credited with 21 penalties for the entire year (even with Kevin Shaffer seemingly averaging one every other drive), so that tells you a lot.

When you consider how slippery of a QB McNabb is, he's been sacked for his career just as many times as Vick has been since 2002, which is about 2.4 times. And I would say that McNabb feels the pressure much better than Vick does (historically at least) although #7 has him beat when it actually comes to making defenders miss. So I think that tells you a lot about how well the Eagles offensive line protects their QB.

IMO, the Eagles and Cardinals offensive line are the best proof for why the big OLs don't exactly work. If Gibbs ever needs evidence why small OLs are better, he doesn't have to look much further than those two units, as they have regularly sported units that have averaged 320+ pounds and never have had great results over that span.

I do believe the Eagles will be much improved from last year to this year. They won't face the same distractions, and McNabb has shown that he can carry that team pretty far without much running help or great receivers. To me, as long as McNabb is healthy on defense and Trotter and Dawkins are working in tandem on defense, the Eagles are going to always be tough, but they will have to fight through a very strong NFC East conference that I would argue is stronger than our own conference, which is a hard feat to accomplishment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

was with you until the last,...the NFC South and the NFC East can be compared but to say one is better than the other,...well,...we're gonna find out in a few months.

Superb analysis! You recognize the large guys blocking are becoming dinosaurs,...it'll work the same way for the huge D-linemen in time.

Man,...how do you know all those facts? I've always said my preference is Vick over McNabb but you show the facts to support that sentiment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The media loves Philly, just like they love Carolina now. How the writer and reports bandwagon or gravitate to the "upper tier" teams is ridiculous. Think about it, until someone off the radar actually does something, you're never gonna hear about it. Then when it does happen, you never hear, well we didn't expect that. No you get instant analysis like they've been predicting that outcome for forever. All you're gonna hear in the offseason is the same old crap about the same old teams. Last offseason I could barely watch sportscenter b/c TO mania dominated every single telecast.

I absolutely can't wait till we thump Carolina in week 1. Cause about 10% of the "experts" are gonna pick us, 90% for them. But 10 seconds after the game, if we beat them, you'll all hear about how great we are, how much vick has improved, how much the d improved, and how they "knew" it all along that we had it in us. Honestly with people like Theisman and Salisbury, I'd rather not be picked. We're probably better in the underdog role anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:53 am 

widetrak21 wrote:
Then when it does happen, you never hear, well we didn't expect that. No you get instant analysis like they've been predicting that outcome for forever. All you're gonna hear in the offseason is the same old crap about the same old teams. Last offseason I could barely watch sportscenter b/c TO mania dominated every single telecast.

The 2005 Bears are a perfect example of that. I mean most people seemed to be picking the Bears to finish 3rd or 4th in their division. Then when they dominated that division, it was like, "Of course they would because Lovie Smith is the greatest coach ever!"

I mean I doubt anybody besides Bears fans expected that team to make the playoffs last year.

Profile E-mail