It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wish you were here
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:54 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Brent Grimes!!!!

Yes, that was washed up BG returning an interception for a TD last night. He played a pretty good game, as well as anyone could matched up with AJ. He was highlighted by Mayock for missing Bernard twice on the TD run, but no one else on the team tackled him either.

Also, Clabo isn't doing that well. Either the Falcons were correct to release him or he just doesn't fit the scheme.

One other note on this game is just how talented the Bengals are. If they had a top ten QB and a better than average coach, then this would be a SB team.

Post subject: Re: Wish you were here
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We drafted two young bucks who who will be holding down the corner spots for years to come. Just gotta get through their growing pains....and unfortunately this is a good year for on the job training.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Many people on the forum love Grimes and respect him as a top tier corner, except for the delusional ones who still wine about a playoff game two years ago (cough Fun Gus cough). That being said, cornerback is one of the last things to worry about in Atlanta. Trufant and Alford are looking good out there. They aren't getting beat repeatedly and are always around the ball. Alford has probably looked better than Trufant so far, but Trufant has gone up against some top tier wide receivers in recent weeks.

Grimes is great, but for the future of Atlanta. It was the right move letting him go. They weren't going to let go of Samuel after one year, even though I'd take Grimes over Samuel.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The problem with the Falcons defense is the front 7. The problem with the offense is the front 5. It all starts up front, and the Falcons are getting blown away at the point of attack. Grimes, as much as I love the guy, wouldn't have made any difference in our record this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
The problem with the Falcons defense is the front 7. The problem with the offense is the front 5. It all starts up front, and the Falcons are getting blown away at the point of attack. Grimes, as much as I love the guy, wouldn't have made any difference in our record this year.

Couldn't have said it better.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't buy that letting Grimes go was the right move for the future. Even though I think Trufant and Alford has what it takes to be two good cornerbacks in this league, they remain a very long way from being on Grimes level.

And had the Falcons been able to retain Grimes, it may have freed up that 1st or 2nd round pick to be used on another problem area, thus potentially making the team better for this year and in the foreseeable future, assuming that Grimes play doesn't drop off significantly over the next 2-3 years, since it seems unlikely that Asante will be back in 2015. Hell, it's not even a certainty that Asante will be back in 2014.

I'll contend that TD made the most of Grimes absence, assuming Tru and Alford turn into good players. But I won't go as far as to say it was the right move.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I don't buy that letting Grimes go was the right move for the future. Even though I think Trufant and Alford has what it takes to be two good cornerbacks in this league, they remain a very long way from being on Grimes level.

And had the Falcons been able to retain Grimes, it may have freed up that 1st or 2nd round pick to be used on another problem area, thus potentially making the team better for this year and in the foreseeable future, assuming that Grimes play doesn't drop off significantly over the next 2-3 years, since it seems unlikely that Asante will be back in 2015. Hell, it's not even a certainty that Asante will be back in 2014.

I'll contend that TD made the most of Grimes absence, assuming Tru and Alford turn into good players. But I won't go as far as to say it was the right move.

I agree with this as well. But there's something that we simply don't know... Did Grimes WANT to be here?

Putting the tag on him last year might have pissed him off. A lot of players move on after being tagged. Was tagging him the right move? Consider this, what if we had given in to his contract demands and then he got hurt. You can bet your butt that people would be quite upset with TD for signing him to big money and then him getting hurt. Some people may even have accused him of faking the injury...... ;)

Obviously, I'm not high on TD at this point, but I don't think this is a situation where he can be blamed for anything. Nor can I really blame Grimes. There was an ego war between Meko and TD, and no one was going to win that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert's right!! Grimes didn't want to play here; and at some point we decided we didn't want him. I've always wished Grimes the best; I think he's better off in Miami than Atlanta.

Injuries can happen anytime; but I think Grimes has proven he's a professional, and a player;
I never took a stance but did think he didn't want Atlanta.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:55 am 

I don't think it was the tag itself that pissed off Grimes. What players hate is when teams tag a guy, but then make minimal effort to get a long-term deal done. It's very frustrating when on the open market you could potentially get $20-30 million guaranteed in $$$, but you're stuck with a tag that only guarantees $10 million, and you're losing a year. That coupled with the fact that the team traded for Asante, gave him $18 million (over 3 yrs), a player that wasn't on the team (and thus was a riskier investment) and was 2.5 years older probably didn't help things either. I think by the time 2012 rolled around, Grimes camp were pretty confident that they would depart Atlanta.

Falcons "sources" leaked that the team thought Grimes was going to be too expensive shortly after the Giant Fiasco. Again, the problem wasn't no

RobertAP wrote:
Consider this, what if we had given in to his contract demands and then he got hurt. You can bet your butt that people would be quite upset with TD for signing him to big money and then him getting hurt.

And people are stupid. Only fools think an injury makes a trade (*ahem*) or a free agent signing is a bad decision retroactively because of an injury. That's like saying that because you later get into a car accident, buying that new car wasn't a good decision. Or the very fact that driving isn't a good decision. There are inherent risks in driving a car, just like there are inherent risks in the game of football. Sure, there are some players that are significant injury risks than others (Tatupu, Jerry, Overstreet, etc.) and thus you must mitigate your investment in them. Ed Hartwell wasn't a bad signing because he was constantly hurt. Ed Hartwell was a bad signing because he was purely a 2-down run defender made at the point when the league was truly transitioning to a pass-first league and wasn't overly effective in that role when he did make appearances on the field.

This is the same silly argument that people made why you shouldn't give Matt Ryan a contract extension before this year. You should wait, because he might get hurt. The injury risk never goes away people!

The Falcons had the opportunity after the lockout to give Grimes a long-term deal when he was a restricted free agent. They chose not and his price went up because he was even better in 2011 than he was in 2010 (and don't let fun gus claim otherwise).

But the simple truth is this (at least as I see it). The real reason why Brent Grimes is not a Falcon is because of Dunta Robinson. The Falcons made the mistake of overpaying Robinson to be the #1 corner. Then Grimes emerged as the true #1 corner. And because the Falcons were trying to be "fiscally responsible" they decided they could not afford 2 $50 million cornerbacks on the roster. And ultimately they chose to go with the investment they had previously made (and kept Robinson for the 2012 season rather than outright cutting him).

But honestly, I get why the Falcons didn't re-sign Grimes. I'm a little bitter about it, but I understand why it happened. Just don't quite by the implications that the Falcons really didn't have the option to keep him. That definitely was an option, the Falcons just didn't take advantage of it. They had 2 years to get a deal done, they didn't.

It's going to be a similar situation next March when they have the option of cutting Sam Baker and Thomas DeCoud, or the option currently of cutting Stephen Nicholas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:07 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/0 ... 86283.html

cmon. That second missed tackle is one of the worst I've ever seen . EVAR. There really is no excuse for losing that contain. Look at him after a rookie burns him twice. He is laying on the field looking sad. When he gets injured ( and yea, he will ) Im coming right back here to say 'toldya so'.

:lol:

that's worth 10 million right there. :roll:

cutting Grimes loose may be one of the only things TD got right this off season. We now have our CB's locked up for 3-4 years. They aren't struggling as bad as some rookies out there. You guys should bend and kiss the ring of Thomas Dimitroff on this one. :ninja:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/gio-bernard-touchdown-grimes-video-bengals_n_4186283.html

cmon. That second missed tackle is one of the worst I've ever seen . EVAR. There really is no excuse for losing that contain. Look at him after a rookie burns him twice. He is laying on the field looking sad. When he gets injured ( and yea, he will ) Im coming right back here to say 'toldya so'.

cutting Grimes loose may be one of the only things TD got right this off season. We now have our CB's locked up for 3-4 years. They aren't struggling as bad as some rookies out there. You guys should bend and kiss the ring of Thomas Dimitroff on this one. :ninja:

Leave it to the ignorant Fun Gus to make a dumb comment. Talking about run defense, when the guy is a cornerback. That makes total sense, keep being butt hurt. Grimes has played like a top ten corner this year, check the stats on PFF.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Grimes has never been very good against the run. Go figure, he's a midget. His cover ability is top notch.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:12 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
fun gus wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/gio-bernard-touchdown-grimes-video-bengals_n_4186283.html

Leave it to the ignorant Fun Gus to make a dumb comment. Talking about run defense, when the guy is a cornerback. That makes total sense, keep being butt hurt. Grimes has played like a top ten corner this year, check the stats on PFF.

so let me get this straight. Mike Mayock, Pete Schrager,Rob Demovsky, the entire broadcast team, AND the Huffington post all concede Grimes blew his second tackle, and I guess they are all 'ignorant' too? Because he is a cornerback?

MarkDalton‏@CardsMarkD31 Oct
Mike Mayock just said it was "ironic" that Grimes missed 2 tackles on same play. That's not irony, even remotely. Or accidentally.
Retweeted by P. Schrager

:lol: :rofl:

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Every cornerback misses tackles. Cornerbacks shouldn't be completely judged by that. Bernard is a talented player, the guy makes people miss. You are butthurt because you look through every negative thing he does, not once failing to mention his pick six. I'm used to it by now, I don't really take your thoughts seriously anymore.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
I don't really take your thoughts seriously anymore.

:mrgreen:

Last edited by fun gus on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:52 pm 

Yep, it's funny how people use that play as an indicator of Brent Grimes is bad or something.

He blew up the play at the beginning, making an excellent play. Just didn't finish the tackle. Which is no surprise since Gio has excellent balance and lower body strength (squats over 500 lbs). He should have finished the play of course. And that's a negative. But c'mon, you root for a team that only has 1 cornerback (McClain) that is a better run defender than Grimes.

But that doesn't overshadow anything. It's 1 negative play on a great night for Grimes. He made a pick 6 on a 92-yard play, without which Miami would have lost. Sure, it was a bad throw by Dalton, but Grimes still made an excellent play taking the ball from the receiver.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:04 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Yep, it's funny how people use that play as an indicator of Brent Grimes is bad or something.

He blew up the play at the beginning, making an excellent play. Just didn't finish the tackle. Which is no surprise since Gio has excellent balance and lower body strength (squats over 500 lbs). He should have finished the play of course. And that's a negative. But c'mon, you root for a team that only has 1 cornerback (McClain) that is a better run defender than Grimes.

But that doesn't overshadow anything. It's 1 negative play on a great night for Grimes. He made a pick 6 on a 92-yard play, without which Miami would have lost. Sure, it was a bad throw by Dalton, but Grimes still made an excellent play taking the ball from the receiver.

true enough. I'll give the lil guy credit for making that pick six. Just thought I would balance out the love-fest :lol:

Pudge, in all honestly do you think Grimes can play a complete season this year? Im wagering he won't. If he does, I'll come back here and finish that crow :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:23 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I had a post calling you out for grasping at straws on this on, FG, but for some reason it did not post. Deion was a terrible tackler but I don't recall people noticing it too much in the greater scheme of things and if BG gets hurt this year it is neither here nor there regarding re-signing unless it involves a prior injury in my opinion. Age in general can beget injury but Assante is older than BG and we kept him. He's been pretty fragile. Small statured guys are prob a little more at risk and, frankly, you would probably prefer they not break themselves to pieces making a tackle if it allows them to live to play another down covering WRs. Don't even yank my chain with Brent. He can't help it his wife is a talkaholic....or is it tweetaholic?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
I had a post calling you out for grasping at straws on this on, FG, but for some reason it did not post. Deion was a terrible tackler but I don't recall people noticing it too much in the greater scheme of things and if BG gets hurt this year it is neither here nor there regarding re-signing unless it involves a prior injury in my opinion. Age in general can beget injury but Assante is older than BG and we kept him. He's been pretty fragile. Small statured guys are prob a little more at risk and, frankly, you would probably prefer they not break themselves to pieces making a tackle if it allows them to live to play another down covering WRs. Don't even yank my chain with Brent. He can't help it his wife is a talkaholic....or is it tweetaholic?

fair enough. And, look, for all I know Brent will stay healthy and go to the pro-bowl, and then I will be roundly mocked, deservedly so. I've probably been wrong more then right. I guess we will see.....

And Pudge is right, I am paranoid about injuries. But, something deep inside me tells me both Ryan and Brent will miss time with injury this year. Notice, I did not make that proclamation last year, or any other season previous. I just saw our OL in preseason, and I could sense it...As for Grimes, I think his style of play ( manning up against 6'3 WR's ) and his age will contribute to that as well. But, if I am wrong, I will suffer the slings and arrows. :ninja:

I would prefer not to hear this though, if I am right: "well, if your always saying _____ will get injured, eventually that will happen, and you will look like a genius". I am specifically pointing this out now to prevent that lame rebuttal. Last game Ryan got his clocked cleaned. He was 'injured', and it's only November. I feel for him, because he is 'hurt man walking'. And, if that happens ( which I believe it will ) and then were left with no viable QB, I am going to be a little pissy about it.

:ninja:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:29 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Couple our line with an O that has him throwing 60 times a game and, yeah, I think an injury is not too much to be concerned about. With that much passing he may need Tommy John surgery before year's end but, really, what does a viable QB do for a team that cannot win with a borderline elite one?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:11 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
Couple our line with an O that has him throwing 60 times a game and, yeah, I think an injury is not too much to be concerned about. With that much passing he may need Tommy John surgery before year's end but, really, what does a viable QB do for a team that cannot win with a borderline elite one?

this is where Pudge ( and to a lesser extent, his acolyte, Emmit ) should chime in.
Yeah, Im gonna look like a 'genius', but come on man. Damn Ryan is THE TOUGHEST QB I have ever watched. Who else? Im sure there is a 'stat' for it, but please. It is only a matterof time. I can see this coming down the pipe right now.

Dammit.

Matt Ryan will not finish this season unijured. NO way. I dont like it, BTW. :beef:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

First off, I wouldn't be shocked if Ryan got hurt either, he has to sit back there forever and he has a s*** line in front of him, couple that with throwing a billion times a game and yikes. As for Grimes, he's still good and would be our best corner, with that said due to all the injuries we had this year it wouldn't matter if he was on our team now as we would still have no chance at the playoffs. When it comes down to it, we should have kept Grimes and Abe and cut Clabo based on their play this year. At the same time even doing so with our injuries we wouldn't be more than a game better and with the tough finishing schedule, we'd still be done.

We are done, let's hope for loses and a high draft pic to get a legit left tackle :fingersx:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 am 

Outside the Saints, Rams, and Patriots games, Ryan hasn't been hit an inordinate amount.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:39 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Outside the Saints, Rams, and Patriots games, Ryan hasn't been hit an inordinate amount.

this is supposed to be a joke, right?

You do know Ryan got hurt in the Cards game? He was sacked four times, hit 11 other times, and threw away countless passes just to avoid going down.

"Banged-up Ryan shoulders share of blame
October, 27, 2013
Oct 27
10:42
PM ET
By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. – As he hobbled around the locker room with his lower right leg heavily wrapped, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan managed to remain upbeat. He even flashed a slight smile while speaking with a team staff member..."

reality, please :snooty: :whistle:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, he got pounded versus the Cards. If they can't run it is almost inevitable he will get pounded. I mean, there's struggling in the run game and then there is what we do which is really no run game.