It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In Other News, Turner Exonrated
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:49 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Yeah, he was a step slow last year, but this line f**** sucks. Sucks. Sucks. At run blocking.

What does putting Jackson on the field achieve that putting Quizz on doesn't?

Post subject: Re: In Other News, Turner Exonrated
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nothing, Jackson was a waste of money, I don't see him even being better than Snelling at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:57 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Abe is far better than Osi.

Terrible personnel decisions this off-season: Baker, Abe, Osi, Jackson, sticking with Reynolds as a starter; it's all bad. Is there something in the water? Wren seems to have the same issue: good drafts, good low-money player, terrible bigger-money acquisitions. Yeah, I'm hyperbolizing as ATL's season seems to be going bye-bye, but damn it's annoying.

ps. if an "e" could be added to the title, by everyone, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm on the, "need for change," bandwagon. Either our front office needs to change its philosophy, or we need to change our front office. Our lines are abysmal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:00 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DaveWaz wrote:
Nothing, Jackson was a waste of money, I don't see him even being better than Snelling at this point.

Agree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

so f**** terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:29 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The prior sft was brought to you by Lamar's third false start. This one is brought to Justin Blaylock ignoring the blitzer on 4th and 20.

so f**** terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Holmes and Trueblood are horrendous. Everyone bashes Baker, but he actually had a solid season. Its depressing to see Matt Ryan play like this, most of his interceptions have been desperate throws.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

THIS year, Baker has looked horrible. I understand that he played well last year. I still don't really see how this front office could go into pre-season expecting Mike Johnson to be our RT and Garrett Reynolds to be our RG. I think that their line evaluation skills suck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
THIS year, Baker has looked horrible. I understand that he played well last year. I still don't really see how this front office could go into pre-season expecting Mike Johnson to be our RT and Garrett Reynolds to be our RG. I think that their line evaluation skills suck.

He hasn't been healthy all year. Give him a chance. It has no doubt about it. The right side is a complete disaster. Konz has been a major letdown as well, next year may be his judgement year.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Baker's always injured, it's part of the reason he sucks. We should draft a LT #1 and either cut Baker or move him to the right side.

Today's the day, where I actually switched from rooting for us to win, to rooting for us to lose to improve draft position.

I also think we should trade Tony, and maybe Samuel if we can get anything at all for them. We need draft pics asap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Konz WILL BE ALRIGHT; A center will always look bad if both guards suck!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cyril wrote:
Konz WILL BE ALRIGHT; A center will always look bad if both guards suck!!

That sound you hear, is Alex Mack's laughter all the way from Cleveland.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

So your saying Konz is a bust ??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am 

No, I'm saying that Konz or any center making his blocks isn't dependent on the guards around him. This was the same silly excuse why people said Justin Blalock wasn't an All-Pro because he was playing next to Todd McClure.

Konz needs time. He needs to improve his hand use, play more balanced, and polish up his footwork. The line is a unit, but in a man blocking unit such as our own, you can't really blame some other guy for you not hitting your assignments, getting your hands inside, bending your knees, redirecting, punching, sliding your feet, playing with base, etc.

And the reality is that Blalock is probably having his best season, and Garrett Reynolds is playing a lot better than probably many think. Konz has struggled against the good defensive tackles he's faced this year, like Muhammad Wilkerson and Randy Starks among others. And he missed a bunch of blocks last week vs. Lavonte David. Last year, when he was at guard, he really struggled making second level blocks when asked to do, a reason which contributed to his struggles.

Look, the positive for Konz is that the mental side of the game isn't overwhelming him. The blitz pickup and adjustments have been solid this year. Little to no noticeable drop-off from McClure to Konz. He just needs to get the physical side down by polishing up his technique.

The positive for both Konz and Holmes is that most of their issues are technical, not a physical/athletic deficiency. You can teach better technique. They need more time to get there. Doesn't make it automatic that they get there, but the key for the rest of the year and next year is going to be monitoring whether they make strides in those areas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Holmes does has a physical deficiency... He showed up to camp out of shape. He wears out as the game goes on. It is a physical problem that can be corrected, but when a second year player shows up to camp out of shape, that's a big red flag for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:14 pm 

Well that just means A.J. Niebel needs to be on the ball in upcoming OTAs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Well, two good reasons to get rid of Niebel and Hill. I'm not saying that they are gone, but a lack of strength, conditioning and technique either means that they see a clear hole in the philosophy or a hole in the intellect of the person espousing the philosophy.

I really disagree with the assessment that Konz has the mental side of the game down. At the very least you have to look at the fact that they have had in the teens of running yards the last two weeks.

I guess the counter would be the Rams game, in which the line responded well to STL's stunts but then got killed straight-up; that points to a conditioning issue.

However, I've seen a lot of A-gap blitzes where Konz or Reynolds looks the wrong way and doubles a guy who is at least engaged; then, a blitzer blows right by them. The 4th and 20 vs ARI was Blaylock's turn, as he turned from a straight-ahead look to helping double the A gap, when A blitzer shot right by him in the B. He didn't even get a hand on him. Was that Quizz's pickup? He went right pretty quickly, if I recall.

Either way, this line is f**** terrible. You can hope that Konz and Holmes improve (though what to do with Baker? Remember RG? I'm not sold on RT or even swing T); I'm right there with you. I think that Konz and Holmes have potential; however, it's not there yet. In fact, it doesn't look close. This is what a year and an offseason resulted in? They weren't even competitive vs ARI.

Next year will likely be better, but I think it costs two people their jobs in the FO (the two aforementioned or a scout mixed in). TD has got to to do a better job in picking linemen as Garret Reynolds' best year just got them absolutely nothing last week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:23 am 
Superstar
Superstar

PUDGE WROTE:
Quote:
No, I'm saying that Konz or any center making his blocks isn't dependent on the guards around him.

Well from all your football analysis (and I've said you know a lot; this is your weakest area).
No it doesn't matter for a guard because the tackle is usually going one on one often to the outside in pass blocking. Therefore McClure doesn't really matter to the guard.

McClure never held anyone back; he didn't have any guards to help him. Really its a matter if the center does his job, and either guard gets pushed back that force helps the man over center move slightly right or left and get a bigger rush. It doesn't work the other way around!!

Obviously the best centers in the league won't be hurt as bad; but they won't make him look better. Jeez we really disagree on this to much to accomplish through internet discussion!! You think this is Blalock's best year?? You think Reynolds is doing better than we think?? Ok-We just disagree; it would take years for you to get the offensive line like you know the other positions.

I'll admit upfront I'm all ears on the outside linebackers; because their roles have expanded....so I'm relearning those positions because I've never played them or had friends that played them.... Sombody besides a corner should be stopping these 60 yard runs.

Ps. I throw that in about friends because they always think their position was the hardest!!

This does usually relate to pass protection. It is one on one with run blocking; if the guards will block the right guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:31 pm 

samedi wrote:
I really disagree with the assessment that Konz has the mental side of the game down.

I made those comments before reviewing the Cardinals game, and it was apparent that the Falcons had a bit more trouble than usual handling the blitz. But for the most part, I think the Falcons have handled the blitz fairly well this year. Mainly it's teams getting overload blitzes, delayed blitzes by the LBs, and missed assignments by the RBs more so than bad line calls.
Cyril wrote:
Well from all your football analysis (and I've said you know a lot; this is your weakest area).
No it doesn't matter for a guard because the tackle is usually going one on one often to the outside in pass blocking. Therefore McClure doesn't really matter to the guard.

McClure never held anyone back; he didn't have any guards to help him. Really its a matter if the center does his job, and either guard gets pushed back that force helps the man over center move slightly right or left and get a bigger rush. It doesn't work the other way around!!

Obviously the best centers in the league won't be hurt as bad; but they won't make him look better. Jeez we really disagree on this to much to accomplish through internet discussion!! You think this is Blalock's best year?? You think Reynolds is doing better than we think?? Ok-We just disagree; it would take years for you to get the offensive line like you know the other positions.

I'll admit upfront I'm all ears on the outside linebackers; because their roles have expanded....so I'm relearning those positions because I've never played them or had friends that played them.... Sombody besides a corner should be stopping these 60 yard runs.

Ps. I throw that in about friends because they always think their position was the hardest!!

This does usually relate to pass protection. It is one on one with run blocking; if the guards will block the right guys.

I will respectfully disagree. Konz's struggles are on him, not because of the guard play. Yes, I do think Blalock is having his best year. But part of it may be in part that he looks better because the rest of the line stinks. But I've seen him do a better blocking, and for once actually have seen him move opposing defenders off the ball, which almost never happened in previous seasons.

And Reynolds is without a doubt the 2nd best blocker we have up front. He's had a few more struggles in recent weeks, but he was fairly solid through the first 3-4 games of the year, and that balances out to still make him our 2nd most effective blocker. DOes that make him good? No, but he's been serviceable to solid for most of the year. His technique has improved significantly, that he's not losing leverage due to his height as much as he did in the past. He still gives too much ground in pass protection, but he compensates in the ground game by consistently getting leverage and occasionally push. One of the problems that was on display vs. Arizona was that he struggled when he was asked to pull.

As for Konz, again, his struggles are his own. He really struggles to block second level defenders and out in space. Lavonte David had a monster game vs. us in Week 6 thanks to several times, Konz whiffed on his block and David was able to get off and make the stop in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. The 1 screen the Falcons ran to Jackson vs. ARZ was a play where the DT sniffed out the screen immediately, Konz didn't block him and Darnell Dockett stopped Jackson for a 2-yard loss.

He got beat twice on stunts in pass protection vs. ARZ. The first time came in the 2nd quarter where Dockett bowled him over and Konz fell into Blalock as well. Dockett was lined up in a 3-technique over Reynolds, and Campbell in a 3-teechnique outside Blalock. Dockett made a bee-line off the snap and just crushed Konz (who never saw him coming because he was looking at Campbell). Campbell then stunted against Reynolds. Konz then fell into Blalock, while Reynolds was able to stop Campbell, but gave a bit of ground. Dockett was at Ryan's feet, but he was able to complete the pass.

Later in the game in the 4th quarter, the Cards did the exact same thing. Campbell was lined up over Blalock, with Frostee Rucker now over Reynolds. Rucker stunted, as Campbell went straight at Konz. Konz who was looking solely at Rucker, got his earhole knocked back, and Campbell slipped through the A game to get a sack on Ryan on the play after Darius Johnson's catch was ruled a completion.

That's not the play of the guards that is causing him to make those mistakes. That's purely him not keeping his head on a swivel, and twice getting bit by the same stunt in the same game.

I'm not down on Konz, but I don't buy this idea that poor guard play is hurting him. And I certainly don't think it's because I don't quite grasp OL play as well as I should. Especially when I'm watching the All-22. I'm not going to act like I know everything about everything, but if I do have a strength in tape study, IMO it is QB and OL play.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

That was a nice post and we just disagree about Blalock and Reynolds. I think its just a fact its harder to judge when our run average is about 1 yard per carry. On passing your right its the delayed blitzes that when the guards or center don't have someone to hit, they need to know their are extra people coming from somewhere; and they need to be ready.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:13 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I don't think our poor offensive line play has or should excuse Turner from his poor running last season. He was abysmal. When our backs have gotten holes this year, they've hit them with burst and power. Last year when he got holes, he tip-toed around in the back field and failed to get to them in time.

I think that the fact he hasn't even seen a workout with any teams this year, with teams like the Giants and Browns in dire need up to this point of a running back, should tell everyone how much he has really regressed. He lost a step, it's unfortunate, but he did. Our line play wasn't great last season, but it wasn't this poor.

Profile E-mail