It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Our Forty-Niner connections
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

...and other morning pre-coffee ramblings.:)

This is a subject I tend to like to remind everyone about. There's always been a deep seated dislike for the San Francisco Forty Niners from Falcons fans, in general. And so what happens in 2004?,...The heart of the Niners franchise(coaches mainly with a few players), becomes the heart of the Atlanta Falcons.

Few remember that after the 1998 season the Falcons were the FIRST team that held their home games inside a dome to EVER appear in a Super Bowl. Oh how I remember the media saying a dome team would never make it to the big dance. LOL And the very next year the Rams were the FIRST team to hold their home games in a dome and WIN a Super Bowl! Oh how sweet it is to bust the media's biased chops. But what I was getting at is the present Falcons head coach was a rookie D-coordinator for the Niners that season in 1998, Jim Mora.

Ahem, but back to the connection.

It was 2004,...Jimmy Mora,...J.L. Mora was hired by Falcons owner. He dragged the Niners O-coordinator with him, Greg Knapp, and as we know the rest is history. 11 wins and all the way to the NFC Championship Game! Oh but the media said the NFC was weak that season.

The first game for the Falcons that year was against,...yup, the Niners IN San Francisco. And you don't think schedule makers know about things like this? The Falcons pulled off a win in an ugly game. But what's interesting is that Mora asked the "genius" Bill Walsh(every time I type his name I think of Joe Walshlol), to give the Falcons a pregame talk,...that would be before the game for all you Broncos fans. Walsh refused for obvious reasons,...can you imagine what the Cisco press would've done with that?,...especially if the Niners had won? But what's not known by many is that Walsh gave the Falcons a post game talk!,...that's after the game Broncos fans.

Steve Young was a regular visitor to Georgia during the Summer of 2004. The media played it out to be Young mentoring Vick, which was and is a joke. The guy knows these coaches well and was just visiting, if you will.

And then there's the West Coast Offense which has been labeled this thus by our beloved media. This offense was not created by Walsh as some might say. It is a fact the guy refined it, making it one of the most efficient offenses in NFL history. That's exactly what is happening now in Flowery Branch,...that's where the official, massive, one of a kind complex the Falcons do their training. The Falcons offense does use the WCO blocking,...it does use the TE and FB in the passing game,...but there has never been any offense ever created that had a guy running it like Michael Vick. So now the WCO sees another adjustment if you will.

Mora, Knapp, some other coaches and a few players like Webster came across the country to set up shop in Atlanta. They brought with them the classic Forty-Niner philosophy on how to build a Champion. The Falcons immediately drafted a shut down corner,...two 1st round WRs and built the defense through later draft picks and now with free agents,...classic!

We Falcons fans watched our team get skewered by the Niners ever since the early '80's. A side note,...John Madden the curse maker, said the Falcons would be the, "team of the '80's" after the 1980 season. Turned out the Niners were the team of the '80's,...one of the greatest NFL dynasties in NFL history.

I'm sure Niners fans can enlighten Falcons fans about Mora,...Knapp,...etc.;)

So be optimistic Falcons fans. History may repeat itself once again.

Please pardon the length of this post for those with the attention span of a chicken.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I might have said this before on this boards. I say a lot of things and it's hard to keep track. But back in 2004, I was talking trash on a 49ers board (as it is every Falcon fans God-given right to do so). They were talking about how the Falcons were stupid because they hired Mora instead of Knapp, who was the one that got Walsh's seal of approval. They were also touting how the Garcia, T.O., and Hearst-less 49ers would be improved with the likes of Rattay, Barlow, and Lloyd. Funny that just 2 years later 2 of those guys were traded away and the other would be too if anybody actually wanted him.

I think it's also interesting that you mention the weakness of the NFC in 2004. It was very true. Besides Philly, none of the other teams in the conference belonged in the Top 5 teams in the league. Had the Falcons won vs. the Eagles, I believe we could have competed against the likes of the Pats, Steelers, Colts, or whomever, but we probably would not have beat them in the Super Bowl. BUt that's of course speculation. But I think the NFC has now surpassed the AFC in strength. Sure, the AFC probably still has better "top" teams but I think our conference now has better "depth" from top to bottom.

Who would have thought back in 1994, after the 49ers last super bowl win that about a decade later where our two teams would be?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:28 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I think that the NFC still has a lot of catching up to do to compete with the AFC, wholistically...if that makes any sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yes,...anytime the reigning NFL Champions have been from the AFC for this many years? Ya gotta say that conference is better. It just seemed that when the Falcons were winning all those games,...I think they went 4-0 to start the '04 season?,...and the media sees Vick and crew kicking butts? Oh it was like,...the Falcons are winning,...let's find something wrong with it! And last season we didn't hear a peep about the NFC being weaker because they simply can't repeat themselves too much or risk sounding biased.

You talking trash on a Niners board Pudge?lol I once hated that franchise more than anything. They are now what they deserve,...oh how I could go on how they cheated after the salary cap was created in 1993 and they cheated to win one more Super Bowl,...ahem, but anyway. :wink:

We stuck, or rather the Falcons stuck the sword through the dragon's heart at the Dome in '98. We lost in San Fran I think 30-20 earlier that year,...then we beat them by the same score and I'll never forget the Cisco quote in a newspaper,..."the most devastating loss in Forty-Niners history." :lol:

And then they came back for more in the playoffs after T.O. cried like a baby after he caught the winning TD pass to beat the Packers,...he should've waited to cry in the Georgia Dome the following week!

Chuck Smith ran back an apparent fumble for a TD in that playoff game and the refs almost gave the game to the Niners on a bad call,...remember that guys?