It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Koetter Accepts His Share of the Blame
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://espn.go.com/b...ent-in-red-zone

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter takes his share of responsibility for the team’s ineffectiveness in the red zone.

The Falcons, with the league's seventh-best offense in terms of yardage, currently are 29th in the league in red-zone efficiency, scoring just seven touchdowns in 18 trips (38.9 percent) inside the opponent's 20-yard line. They were 1-of-6 in that area during last Sunday’s 30-23 loss to New England.

The Falcons had a 21-yard touchdown from Matt Ryan to Tony Gonzalez in that game, showing their ability to move the ball. But once they enter the red zone, it's a different story. Koetter admitted that a play or two from Sunday night would be dropped from the red-zone arsenal moving forward.

"I put that on me more than anybody else," Koetter said. "The good news was, we were down there seven times. ... It’s just a bad thing that we’re only getting 23 points.

"Not every single thing we did in the red zone the other night was a good play call. That’s just part of it. Every team has its own nuances, its own strengths, its own weaknesses, its own personality. We've got to get to the bottom of this and we've got to figure out how we’re going to get in the end zone."

Ryan took ownership for a few bad throws in the red zone Sunday. Koetter spoke about addressing those issues with the quarterback.

"That’s one of the great things about being around a guy like Matt: Matt always takes responsibility for his actions," Koetter said. "And if he doesn’t agree with what you’re telling him, you can have a discussion about it. And you’ve got to have some kind of resolution at the end.

"Matt is really good at expressing how he saw it. You either have to say, 'OK, we won’t do those types of plays anymore,' or, 'Here’s how we’re going to try to correct that type of thing.' There’s got to be some kind of common ground to come out of any discussion. … He’s easily the best guy I’ve ever been around as far as being able to communicate and make progress on how we can get things fixed."

Koetter and the offense have a chance to take a step forward against the New York Jets on Monday night. The Jets have allowed five touchdowns in 13 red-zone drives by their opponents.

"This would be a simple thing to solve if we could say, 'Hey, it’s just one thing. Let’s fix it.' But it’s more than that," Koetter said. "It’s just not one thing consistently. It’s across the board.

"The thing about red zone, we’ve been in the red zone 18 times and scored seven touchdowns. If you just score three more touchdowns – 55 percent in the red zone is going to get you top 10 in the NFL every year. … The bottom line is, we’re not making the plays. As a coaching staff, we’ve got to give them better plays."

Post subject: Re: Koetter Accepts His Share of the Blame
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Hopefully taking the wide receiver screen play out of the playbook near the goal line is one of them. He needs to utilize the shovel pass more in the red zone. Everytime they use it, it works perfectly.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Koetter is just throwing himself under the bus for the whole team!!

Matt made bad passes; receivers dropped good passes; and the line let Ryan be hurried. A coach just can't say; you all saw it, our team sucked last week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

There's more to it than that Cyril. We have missed a LOT of opportunities in the red zone. Even if you take away the 3 dropped passes for TDs, and the handful of bad throws by Ryan, you still have a lot of plays where things did not work. We've had at least 3 drives that we went for it on 4th down in the red zone, so you're talking about 12 downs, just in those 3 cases.

There is a lot of blame to go around for our red zone problems.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Emmitt wrote:
Hopefully taking the wide receiver screen play out of the playbook near the goal line is one of them. He needs to utilize the shovel pass more in the red zone. Everytime they use it, it works perfectly.

Not every time. I want to say that we tried it in the NFC Championship game and it got bottled up easily. But I do recall a game last year where the Falcons tried it and it did not work. Don't remember which off the top of my head, but I think it was the NFCCG because I recall a really good LB made the tackle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:

Crazy, the first thing I thought of after our failure on Sunday is that a shovel pass would have worked on one of the plays. Teams are focusing so much outside with Matt being no running threat that a shovel pass would be a great call. Teams will think our RB is a blocker when he doesn't go wide, then we have a 5 on 4 blocker to defender situation to get in the end Zone.

Hope our coaches see the same thing as it seems wide open and any of our backs could pull it off.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

This is also why I don't understand why we give up on the run in the red zone. Think about it, if they double Tony, and we put 3 other receivers out there, that's 5 defenders (at least) covering our 4 receivers. Running the ball in that circumstance should be a matchup that we should win consistently.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:09 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

"The good news was, we were down there seven times."

:shock:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:34 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

RobertAP wrote:
This is also why I don't understand why we give up on the run in the red zone. Think about it, if they double Tony, and we put 3 other receivers out there, that's 5 defenders (at least) covering our 4 receivers. Running the ball in that circumstance should be a matchup that we should win consistently.

With a backup backfield and that OL? I don't expect them to ever win that battle. They gave up running in critical situations years ago. The Jackson injury is out of anyone's control (well, except for the person that decided to base the running game on a 30 year-old RB, but hey, when has that strategy failed?); however, it seems like ATL is completely kerfuddled when it comes to building an OL. Need a RG? Let's draft a RT. Need a RT? Hey, that RG has potential, let's draft him. Need a RT? Let's reach for a guy whose best college year was at LT. Our consistently disappointing and injured LT has a career year in his contract year? Show him the money.

It's like they use whatever magic 8 ball Frank Wren does when signing big name FAs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:18 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

RobertAP wrote:

Twas my main complaint with their approach all night. They have just gone passing mad. With our OL we are not going to line up and ram it down people's throats but, frankly, not many teams can do that anyway. We did begin employing draws and delays and that type of thing and they seemed fairly effective straight up the gut. We really do not have the speed with any of our RBs to get around the edge though we seem to continue to try. The team really reminds me of the run and shoot teams aside from having a TE on the roster.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

samedi wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

With a backup backfield and that OL? I don't expect them to ever win that battle.

That OL is obviously my biggest complaint about this team, but they seem to be somewhat decent at run blocking. (especially with Trueblood at RT and Holmes at LT) And the Pats were without their starting DTs, so it should have been a considerable advantage for us.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:20 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

RobertAP wrote:
That OL is obviously my biggest complaint about this team, but they seem to be somewhat decent at run blocking. (especially with Trueblood at RT and Holmes at LT) And the Pats were without their starting DTs, so it should have been a considerable advantage for us.

Going to go back and watch the opening to the Pats again to see if I agree with you, but it's worth considering this as well:

Pass play: 1st rounder considers whether to throw it to one of three players: 1st rounder, 1st rounder, or 1st rounder 1st ballot HoF.

Run play: 1st rounder hands off to 5th or 7th rounder, who is immediately supported by a rookie udfa.

I agree with everyone about what has proven successful (or not, in this case), but you kinda have to see Koet's logic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Samedi, that's been a common concern of fans since Smitty got here. Smith seems to have, "his guys," and if you're not one of those people, you're either not getting the ball, or you're not seeing the field. You are probably correct though, that we have all of those big name guys that should be getting the ball in the red zone. When you only score 1 out of 7 trips, you have to throw that thinking out the window.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:05 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think every coach has "his guys" but I think MR is noted for spreading the ball around pretty well. Toilio has already caught a TD in the RZ and dropped one. I think we as fans have a tendency to turn things into popularity contests or conspiracies in terms of who gets touches. We have obviously struggled to run for two or three years and thus the aquistion of Jackson. the oddest thing to me about the RZ is the absence of JJ. Is he that covered up and if he and Gonz are getting all this attention how in the world is something somewhere not open to exploit?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

RobertAP wrote:
Samedi, that's been a common concern of fans since Smitty got here. Smith seems to have, "his guys," and if you're not one of those people, you're either not getting the ball, or you're not seeing the field. You are probably correct though, that we have all of those big name guys that should be getting the ball in the red zone. When you only score 1 out of 7 trips, you have to throw that thinking out the window.

I think it's less "his guys" and more "the most talented guys."