It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wow is it getting UGLY in Tampon Bay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://deadspin.com/josh-freeman-is-in- ... 1430761659

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers/Josh Freeman real-time divorce is ugly. He was recently benched, then deactivated and banished to a suite (Schiano says it was a mutual decision, Freeman's agent says bullshit) for Sunday's 13-10 loss to the Cardinals. Now comes news that Freeman is in the first stage of the NFL's drug treatment program. He's got a temporary use exemption for a prescription drug that is on the banned list and he's not in danger of being suspended, so the report itself is not really a big deal, except for this: why do we know about it?

Common sense dictates that if the Bucs are going to part ways with him they should at least try to get something for him first. "Value" is the buzziest of all NFL buzz words. Publicly and anonymously trashing a player with the scary, scary drug card would limit his already compromised value. The same applies for some kind of f*** You to the Bucs from Freeman's camp. Presumably he still wants to play somewhere and doesn't need to gift wrap reasons not to take a flyer on a failed first round draft pick.

Information concerning a player's participation in the program is subject to a confidentiality provision that is to be enforced unless the player releases the information himself or persons other than "interested parties"—a defined group that includes league and team employees—makes it public. Teams interested in acquiring a player are entitled to information regarding his status in the program (clarification: the team is entitled to the information if the player is one strike away from being suspended, which Freeman is not) and would then still be subject to the confidentiality provision.

Chris Mortensen's report is sourced by "league and player sources with knowledge of his status." It is entirely possible, and much more probable, that a team interested in acquiring Josh Freeman found out his status and leaked it to Mort, hoping to knock down any possible asking price for the quarterback. Although, it is always possible that Greg Schiano is just that big of an asshole.

Update: Via PFT, Josh Freeman's statement in response is below. In short, he voluntarily enrolled himself in the program when he mistakenly took Ritalin instead of Adderall to treat ADHD. He has passed 46 NFL drug tests since.

Let me be very clear. I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances. Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half.

Since the confidentiality of my medical status has been publicly violated, I am choosing to address this matter so that grossly erroneous assumptions about me do not persist. Like millions of Americans, I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career. Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ritalin rather than Adderall) , and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the “NFL Program”. Since that time, I have taken and passed all 46 drug tests I’ve been given, which test for every drug and banned substance imaginable. I agreed to allow such testing to be done at my workplace (team facility) because I spend all of my time there and I have nothing whatsoever to hide or be embarrassed about.

Unfortunately, it appears that some people who may have noticed the testing at my workplace have made hurtful and incorrect assumptions and chosen to disseminate inaccurate and very disturbing information. It is a shame that when times have gotten tough, people have chosen to attack the character of others, rather than supporting each other. I remain dedicated and focused to being the best quarterback I can be and to help a team win a championship.

Post subject: Re: wow is it getting UGLY in Tampon Bay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:58 pm 

If Freeman was smart (which he isn't) he would have embraced the backup role and been a team player and not a whiner. His contract is up at the end of the year and had he been a professional and potentially even managed to gain back the starting position he'd get a decent contract next year from someone.

Now he is toxic waste that only desperate teams would bother sniffing. Welcome to a career as a backup Mr. Freeman.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Josh Freeman will land on his feet again. He's too talented not to start at least 50 more games in the NFL assuming he stays healthy. He'll only be 26 when he hits free agency next year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Josh Freeman will land on his feet again. He's too talented not to start at least 50 more games in the NFL assuming he stays healthy. He'll only be 26 when he hits free agency next year.

He's certainly not doing himself any favors with his attitude and maturity issues. He probably will start again, he's better than your Ponder's & Gabbert's of the world, but unless something clicks inside him, 50 games seems high. Career back up is more likely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am 

50 games is basically a bit more than 3 full seasons as a starter. Had Jason Campbell not gotten injured in 2011, he would have been close to that. Kyle Orton started 33 games in Denver after 3 years in Chicago.

He's not JaMarcus Russell by any means, although people will try to draw those strings. I saw an interview with Freeman last spring I believe on NFL Network. And it was the point when I realized that he would never live up to the potential he had. He was asked a question about reaching out to other QBs to help him improve his game, and he had told the interviewer (Rich Eisen IIRC) that he had not done that. Or maybe it was going and watching tape. But basically it made me realize that Freeman didn't have the "it" factor and drive to really become a great QB, and thus would always be more of a 3rd tier QB than a 2nd tier guy.

IMO, he's better than players like Campbell, Orton, Chad Henne, John SKelton, Vince Young, David Carr, Brian Griese, Byron Leftwich, etc. and many of the "failed" starters that left the teams that originally picked them up and became journeyman backups.

I won't say he'll start the next 50 games he plays in after this year, but I do think given that Freeman is like to play at least another 6 or 7 seasons, he'll get opportunities to start full-time in half of them. There are always goign to be teams like the Browns this past off-season that are looking for a veteran to push some disappointing young QB. And I think unlike a player like Jason Campbell, Freeman is more than talented to win those competitions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I agree that he has the physical talent, but I question his head and heart. If I'm not mistaken, and I might be, but I believe this is his contract year. Usually players are model citizens and bust ass to get that one big payday. Freeman has done the opposite.

I agree, he will land somewhere and maybe start for a year or two, but he has literally thrown millions of dollars away acting the fool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:49 am 

The positive for Freeman however is that many people believe that Greg Schiano did a poor job handling the situation. Basically he threw him under the bus around draft time, when they took Glennon and suggesting Glennon would compete for the job right away. He caught flak from that, and quickly back-tracked. But I think most people recognize that neither party (Schiano or Freeman) were 100% invested in the other this year, and thus I think when it comes to next off-season, some team is going to find a way to excuse that. It's going to cost him millions of dollars, as he could have been set for a contract that paid him anywhere between $60 and $80 million this off-season, and now he may just have to settle for $20 million or less.

You seem to be placing most of the blame on Freeman, and I'm not sure that's fair.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

its not fair, and why I think Greg Schiano will be fired at the end of this season and
Freeman will be gone. This was a simple matter to handle; but once Freeman missed picture day Schiano took it personally. They should have made a move in the off season.