It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strength and Conditioning
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:40 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I read an article last week in the AJC about the change in S&C. I am always thinking injuries are more luck than anything, but I wonder if the change in philosophy has contributed to the increase in injuries.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/falcons- ... ies/nZ3Jr/

Post subject: Re: Strength and Conditioning
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Injuries for the most part are random, but you do often see teams that are constantly hit by injuries year after year (the Browns a few years back always seemed to be a team that finished every year with 15 guys on IR), and you also see teams that are relatively unphased by injuries, such as we have been.

It's hard to argue that in many cases (albeit probably not all) that there is a correlation between a team's training staff and their injuries. I mean if there wasn't, then why does the team spend so much money on strength and conditioning?

Firing Fish ruined the Falcons season? I don't want to blame it, but I won't say it's not a significant factor...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think the cutting back of the off-season program has contributed greatly to players all over the league suffering more injuries. I think that was a dumb move, and hopefully the NFLPA will see about fixing that move. Players getting hurt is bad for EVERYONE. I have not looked at the numbers to compare to previous seasons, but the pundits seem to believe that there are a lot more injuries than normal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:23 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Robert,
I partially agree with you. I don't mind the reduction of on field practicing (although how bad is practicing in shorts w/o pads). On the other hand, why can't the players come in say three days a week in the off season for classroom study and strength and conditioning?

Pudge,
I agree that injuries are random, but it does depend on the injury. An ACL will probably happen no matter what. A pulled hamstring on the other hand.....