It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top 10 Offense just right around the corner?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KFFL wrote:
Michael Oldham, of AtlantaFalcons.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons offense is primed for a big year in 2006. "A main goal I have for us this season is to get in the top 10 in total offense," offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said. Atlanta went from 20th in the league in 2004 in total offense to 12th last season.

I did the math, and having a Top 10 offense last year could have been achieved based on Vick completing 2 more passes per game.

We basically missed having the 10th ranked offense in the league last year because we fell short of that mark by 343 passing yards. That averages to 21.4 yards per game, and considering Vick averaged 11.3 yards per completion, that basically is 2 more completions.

Where would those added numbers leave the passing offense ranked? 23rd. Interestingly enough, based on last year's rankins, having the 12th best passing game in the league would have netted us the #1 overall offense.

One imagines that if we once again field the top running attack, which should be easier since the other Top 5 teams except perhaps KC are expecting a dropoff in their running games this year (Denver, Seattle, Pittsburgh), and can get a decent passing attack (around #20), we should be looking at least a good ranking.

All the same it'll give the Knapp apologists more fuel, and continue to infuriate the Knapp haters. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:11 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

One of the most pleasant things about this board is the apparent lack of Knapp haters. It really got old at the roost..despite all of the facts being laid out on the table it was impossible to change their minds...ignorance is funny like that i guess ....:lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Never was, never will be Knapp's fault for the lack of offensive production. All the Knapp haters will hide when the Falcons average three TDs and a couple FGs a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:34 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I'd rather have a top 10 defense :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm prob more concerned with how far Musgrave can help Vick (on fundamentals, offensive knowledge grasp). We've seen Knapp can have a productive offense while at SF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=12400

I believe this was the original article via the link above. A must read if you wanna get in Knapp's head to see the big picture for our offense. All sounds about right to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

morecowbell wrote:
I'd rather have a top 10 defense :)

Well, as the saying goes "The best defense...blah blah blah."

But, seriously, if Vick had made the two more completions per game, that would have gone a long way toward making the defense better. They would not have been on the field as much and would not have been as beaten up.

I'm a firm believer in playing time causing injuries just as much as the contact. I mean, look at major league baseball, the season is 160 plus games for a reason. The body can only take so much abuse before it breaks down. That's why these guys have personal trainers and each team has personal physicians and fitness coaches. They have to stretch it out as much as possible.

Stats aside, if Vick makes better passes, and if the recievers make the hard catches as well as the easy ones, this team will have a top ten offense. EAsily.

I know, you could say that about ANY offense, but I don't think most teams have the talent we have in development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'll step up and be a Knapp hater...I don't like the way Knapp calls plays myself....

maybe it's because I watch a lot of Falcons games and i've learned to pick up on tendancies, but when I sit and watch a game I can call the play before we run it about 85% of the time, and it seems to me that opposing defenses catch on about as quickly too......

his predictability in play calling got a little better at times last season but none the less I think he needs to get a little more creative....

I guess calling myself a hater may not be totally fair, since I only have that one beef with him, but it does irritate the hell out of me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:34 pm 

Steve-O wrote:
maybe it's because I watch a lot of Falcons games and i've learned to pick up on tendancies, but when I sit and watch a game I can call the play before we run it about 85% of the time, and it seems to me that opposing defenses catch on about as quickly too......

This was a very common complaint when Reeves was the coach. I don't know because I don't watch any other team as much as I do the Falcons. But I'd imagine most fans for most teams this happens to.

I'm not a huge fan of Knapp myself. But I do believe that the majority of Falcon fans have an unnecessary hatred for this guy. Many complain he's too conservative. Well, I don't think that is necessarily Knapp's fault. Mora seems to be a rather conservative coach himself. I call it "Mora ball" becuase it's an adaptation of "Marty Ball" in that you run the ball, play great defense, and you're defense is going to win the game for you 14-13 in the end most times.

I think that's my beef with the so-called Knapp haters is that they just blame too much on Knapp himself, and little on the other coaches. Why our rushing success? According to them it's Gibbs' blocking schemes. Well, I hate to inform people but Knapp oversaw top rushing attacks in San Fran without those blocking schemes, so the guy knows how to manufacture a running game, Gibbs or not. GIbbs' blocking scheme probably propels the Falcons from being a 7th ranked unit to being the #1 unit, that's his influence.

Others hate the "dink and dunk." Sure it is annoying much of the time, but frankly I can understand Knapp's hesistance to call a 40-yard bomb when Vick has extreme difficulty throwing an 8-yard slant.

I don't love Knapp, but I don't think he's terrible. I won't deny that I think there are plenty of OCs out there that are better than Knapp. But besides Vick, Dunn, and Crumpler he hasn't had a lot to work with these past 2 years. Sure, a top flight OC could have done wonders with those 3, but those guys don't grow on trees.

I think he does exactly what Mora wants him to do: 1) run the ball very well 2) don't turn it over too much with aggressive play-calling. And as long as Knapp coordinates an offense that does those two things well, like him or hate him, he's probably here to stay.

Profile E-mail