Post subject: who remember this game?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arti ... ea2b5c9c79

Falcons Dominate Patriots in Memorable 1998 Game

Posted 3 hours ago

Frank Kleha @FalconsFrank

The Falcons and Patriots faced each other in 1998 in what came to be a staple game for Atlanta as the Dirty Bird was created and the team dominated in a 41-10 win

The tie will be broken this weekend as both teams have captured six victories apiece in this series. The Falcons and Patriots started playing each other in 1972.

In a Week 9 showdown during a very special 1998 season, the Falcons faced an equally strong Patriots opponent looking to hit their playoff stride. And this game had historical significance, as well.

Atlanta’s defense forced a then club record five New England turnovers and limited the Pats to a mere 18 yards rushing, a team record-low, and 223 total yards in a convincing 41-10 victory.

Falcons DE Chuck Smith led the stalwart defensive charge, registering 2.5 sacks, with six overall tackles and returned a fumble 71-yards for a touchdown. LB’s Cornelius Bennett and Jessie Tuggle accounted for eight tackles each while DE Lester Archambeau got in on the sack attack with 2.5 drops of his own.

The Falcons turned an early Patriots miscue into a quick score as TE O.J. Santiago grabbed a 7-yard touchdown for an early 14-0 first quarter lead. After a New England field goal, the Birds countered with a seven-play, 74-yard scoring march of their own as RB Jamal Anderson carried the load with 45 yards on six totes, culminating in a 10-yard touchdown run, his second of the contest.

Smith then piled on the scoring barrage as he scooped up a QB Drew Bledsoe fumble off of an Archambeau sack and strip, and rumbled 71 yards for the score, as the Birds raced to a 28-3 advantage. Smith’s timely turnover is still the fourth longest fumble return in team history.

Anderson finished with 104 yards rushing on 32 carries (with two scores) while WR Terance Mathis led all receivers with eight catches for 117 yards.

This contest was a landmark game in team history because it was the official birth of the Dirty Bird. Anderson and Santiago both displayed versions of the Dirty Bird dance on their respective touchdown scores and the craze would go on to sweep the nation and become one of the signature moments for a Falcons team that would go on to reach their first Super Bowl.

Post subject: Re: who remember this game?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

CRAP, I hardly remember 4 days ago......If it was in Atlanta I was there; 1998 BNB went to the Minn. GAME, I remember that, that's when he became my hero for about a week (:

15 years later Eugene Robinson still doesn't get a pass from me!! (that's a freaking shame) but Dan Reeves let the team bring their wife and kids so this stuff wouldn't
happen. He gave up a TD. first play after Morton Anderson missed a 20 yard field goal.

First thing I heard all over the airport when our plane landed in Miami. Was the Eugene terrible story.

No I'm not bitter (: I remember some things better than others (:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:23 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Def recall that one. Was it a Sunday night game? Meggles went to it. Bledsoe was one of the few talking heads before the SB to pick the Falcons because "they knocked us around pretty good." Santiago did the dance first and all the commentators were saying WTF?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

In 98 I thought the Patriots were imposters....but I don't really remember the game...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cyril wrote:
In 98 I thought the Patriots were imposters....but I don't really remember the game...

They really were until Bledsoe got hurt and the rest is history. If Belichick had known all he had to do was bruise Drew's sternum to turn into a genius we would have had Tonya Harding arrange for a sternum bruising instead of awaiting fate. I remember is the early 90s in the Dome when NE came to town when the still had the old uniforms that they were one of the few teams you kind of assumed the Falcons would beat!