It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Fans,...Good, Bad, Ugly
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:29 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Just like they say,...football mirrors life. If you look at the broad spectrum of the NFL fan, you indeed do see society as we know it. And some of the things you'll see from NFL fans is funny and,...well, maybe sad too.

Once knew a Cowboys fan that lived in South Philly, Ohio just South of Canton. She was a rabid,...ahem, I meant avid Boys fan and knew more about football than most men I know. So the question came to mind,..."you are from West VA and you live in Bengals/Steelers/Browns territory,...why are you a Cowboys fan?" So ya'll know me,...I had to ask her that and her answer amazed me. She said she,..."likes the shiny helmets."

Then there's the guy that everyone hates to be around during an NFL game. He gets so torn up tailgating he passes out sometime into the second quarter and tilts his head back with his mouth open snoring. Then that's when the fun begins,...popcorn basketball contests begin. People seated above the guy trying to ring his gaping, snoring mouth.

And then there's the fans that feel an NFL game is a social event. These people really bother me the most. They wear all they gold they own,...women wearing fancy pant suits,...guys with their preppy bs attire and their condescending attitudes,...and guess what? These people don't cheer, don't make noise, nuthin. They act like they are above the rest of the fans there and have this little arrogant smile on their face as they say things like,..."oh why did they build this stadium with the seats so close together? Don't they know I'm worth more elbow room than this?"

It's certain you all have seen society mirrored when you go to an NFL game.

Oh and then there's the big guy that has to be louder than anyone else when the home team is losing and it's as quiet as a morgue in the stadium,...lol am sure everyone's experienced the bellowing of someone like that.

So what has been your experience when you walk into the arena with 70,000 people and has to be around them for 3 hours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:00 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

What about the guy wearing the Steerlers gear to the Falcons/Bucs game?

Or the guy wearing the shirt with all the NFL teams on it...or worse...NBA...with the hat to match.

Or the guy wearing the UGA cap and a Pats jersey to the Falcons/Patriots game. Reminds me of a line from a sports gambling site "I only pick winners!"

I once refused to hook up with a girl because I found out she had lived in Atlanta her entire life, except for less than a year she spent interning in Charlotte, and yet she was a Braves and PANTHERS fan. I told my friend to tell her I said "no thanks." If she has this kind of loyalty to her city/sports teams, what kind of loyalty could I expect. I probably should have got into her pants first...but I just couldnt bring myself to do it.

That being said, I still maintain that the bandwaggon fan lives a much happier life. You know who Im talking about...the person at the office that likes the Steelers, BoSox, Duke basketball, USC Football...etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Excellent,...and so sad but true. Knew a woman that lived in Ohio,...raised in West Virginia and she is a Cowboys fan. She said she was a Cowboys fan because, and I quote,..."they wear shiny helmets."

In truth she is a Cowboys fan so she could say her team has won Super Bowls and teams like the Falcons haven't. Shiny helmets,...pffft!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

BENT21 wrote:
I probably should have got into her pants first...but I just couldnt bring myself to do it.

Swing her number my way, I have no shame. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:33 am 
Superstar
Superstar

LOL Have to admit,...got into that Ohioan's pants,...even though disgusted that she is a Boys fan because of the shiny helmets. It was pretty good too.

Some people are fans of a team just because of that team being a perrenial winner. So when ya see a Falcons fan from say, Colorado, it means a little more than a jerk that's a Steelers fan from Alabama.

Post subject: Fans
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I was born in Indiana in the 70s, which is to say I was born in a state WITHOUT any pro team in any sport (for you youngsters the Colts were still in Baltimore until the early 80s and the Pacers were in the ABA until it went belly up). Now, in the 70's it seemed my life was dominated by kids who were from two schools of thought: A. they were either a Cowboys or Steelers fan as they were damn near all the 70s SBs, or B. they were a Bears (proximity to Chicago) or Bengals (proximity to Ohio and NOBODY but a Cleveland native likes the Browns).

This left me in a bit of a pickle, as I just downright HATE being like everyone else. So... much to the dismay of you PB21, my eight year old self went to the Sears Catalogue and found the page on NFL Helmets and chose one... that awesome red helmet with a black falcon and stripe up the middle. In doing so I also decided in my infinite wisdom to adopt EVERY Atlanta franchise, OH THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL! :lol:

Suffering is an Atlanta Fan's favorite pastime, but the thing I have always hated about being a Falcons Fan in particular was the 98 season. How many fans out there had a part of that magical season spoiled by bandwagon fans? I felt like I did more explaining to outsiders that I was a 'true' Falcons Fan then enjoying the success of my team. I even carried around a picture of me decked out in Silver/Red/and Black Falcons gear at 9 years old!

Anyway PB21, I think my final thought is this. It doesn't matter why or how you are a fan (helmet choice, father's team, birth place, etc), just that you are a fan that can bleed your team colors and go into a corner and hyperventilate when the birds win the NFC Championship in overtime :wink:

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Beautiful reply,...and not to my dismay mind you. It's all in fun.

You mentioned the '70's,...growing of age in St.Petersburg, FL just South of Tampa, all we got was the Cowboys and the Dolphins. Like you, when I saw those red and black unis when I came back to GA? It was love at second sight. That would've been 1975,...the year of the Bart,...and funny,...he tried to drink up Atlanta just as much as Favre tried to,...both early on in their careers.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I live in Central VA and all I get every sunday on tv is a damn Skins game. It could be Skins vs. 49ers and they'll still put it on over a top tier matchup. Everyone around here acts like it's our home team, but I've just never understood that. If you live in the city, or very close, it may be different. But at the same time I've never really wanted to do what the "crowd" was doing anyway (ie. Falcons fan, lol).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:58 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I live in Charlotte and WILL NOT give up my ATL allegiances.. I like when the teal kitties when all of their games but 2 (hint).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cybed, you going to the battle week 1??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:39 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I would like to. Just hate giving the kitties my money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:56 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

people here in Nashville can't understand why i don't drop the Falcons- the pre-Titans, "local" team i have loved since i learned what a football was- and become a Titans fan. where i do like the Titans, i LOVE the Falcons...regardless of record or owners- obviously, if i have been a fan this long....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I went to the Atl-Car game two years ago. I've never heard a more quiet stadium in my whole life. 1/3 of Lane Stadium is louder than they're whole place. Only problem I had was paying $100+ bucks for a seat 10 rows from the top.