It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Lelie/Duckett Rumor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

per Yahoo http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... &type=lgns :

Quote:
A league source said that the Broncos have been associated with another veteran running back – T.J. Duckett of the Atlanta Falcons – as part of a potential three-team trade. The deal would also send Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie to the New England Patriots and Patriots tight end Daniel Graham to the Falcons, who could also receive a draft choice.

I think this could help us, both for the present and long term, if we can pry out the draft pick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

based on all the rumors i get the feeling we are trying very hard to work something out those guys. if this is true it looks more and more like duckett will be gone by the beginning of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:21 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KFFL wrote:
John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports New England Patriots TE Daniel Graham has been mentioned as part of a potential three-team trade involving the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos, according to a league source. Graham would go the Broncos along with Falcons RB T.J. Duckett while the Patriots would receive Broncos WR Ashley Lelie. The Falcons would receive draft choices from both teams. Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan has denied there is a trade in the works involving Lelie.

Graham alone is worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder, while Duckett is probably worth a 3rd or 4th rounder.

So I'd imagine at worst, we'd net a #3 and #4 in this trade. At best, perhaps the Broncos would part with a #1, but probably not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:58 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:
KFFL wrote:
John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports New England Patriots TE Daniel Graham has been mentioned as part of a potential three-team trade involving the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos, according to a league source. Graham would go the Broncos along with Falcons RB T.J. Duckett while the Patriots would receive Broncos WR Ashley Lelie. The Falcons would receive draft choices from both teams. Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan has denied there is a trade in the works involving Lelie.

Graham alone is worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder, while Duckett is probably worth a 3rd or 4th rounder.

So I'd imagine at worst, we'd net a #3 and #4 in this trade. At best, perhaps the Broncos would part with a #1, but probably not.

I disagree...you sound like dan reeves talking about Graham being worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Graham is worth like a 6th or 7th rounder, while duckett would be worth a 2nd or early 3rd. Duckett is a running back with not a lot of wear and tear, who has the potential to be a lamont jordon type tailback in a feature role. Graham is just a slightly-above average tight end. This is a crappy trade, IMO. Id rather keep duckett for the year. At least we can use him to pound it into the end zone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:03 am 

Well clarifying the trade, it goes like this:

Patriots get: Ashley Lelie
Broncos get: Daniel Graham and T.J. Duckett\
Falcons get: draft pick(s)

And I disagree on Graham. He and Crumpler are very similar players. Graham has been underused in New England as a receiver, but has very good hands. If anybody ever watched him play at Colorado, I'm sure can back me up on that one. The reason why Shockey went ahead of him in that draft because Shockey was more athletic and had a better frame, but Crump proves that you don't need that prototype 6-6/250 frame to be a good NFL tight end.

If Graham played for the Falcons, just like Crump he'd be reeling in 40, 50, 60 catches a season. If/when he goes to Denver and starts producing at that level, you'll see.

Graham suffers from the same thing that plagued Crump during the Reeves era, the coaching staff's unwillingness to explore his full potential as a receiver, rather instead relying on him to be fulfill his role as a blocker. He only caught 16 passes last year, because he was reduced to the role as primary blocking TE because the team wanted to give Ben Watson some more looks in the passing game. When he was the primary receiving TE teaming with Fauria (the blocker) he caught 68 passes & 11 TDs in 28 games. His performance vs. the Falcons last year: 5 catches for 119 yards and 1 TD should be a very clear indicator of his skill.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:11 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I read that trade wrong...

I do agree that Graham possesses the potential to be a good TE, but potential, and actual talent are two different things. He is good for a few games a year, and then disappears in the rest. Just because of the fact that we couldnt cover him with our combination of Brian "the Tackle Missing Machine" Scott and Boley / Demo doesnt all of a sudden make him a diamond in the rough...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:31 pm 

One of the bigger weakenesses of the Falcons offense that is hidden thanks to Crumpler is the fact that we don't have a #2 or even a #3 TE. Crumpler is it after that we have a converted OG and a scrub TE at the end of the bench.

The Falcons really need a true #2 TE and someone that can step in if Crumpler gets hurt. Graham would fit that mold nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

dirtybirdnw wrote:
One of the bigger weakenesses of the Falcons offense that is hidden thanks to Crumpler is the fact that we don't have a #2 or even a #3 TE. Crumpler is it after that we have a converted OG and a scrub TE at the end of the bench.

The Falcons really need a true #2 TE and someone that can step in if Crumpler gets hurt. Graham would fit that mold nicely.

I agree. THe problem is, the fans have such an aversion to drafting TE's because a certain previous unnamed head coach had a tendency to pick them with regularity in the draft. If one had been picked this year, the screams in the Falcons faithful, not to mention the bandwagon, would be so loud as to turn Blank's hair completely white.

For several years, we have been complaining about the WR's, then it was the DB's. Now, when the team starts to draft and hire needed talent, as opposed to the 'best available', we see the smaller problems begin to be noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:07 pm 

Blakley isn't bad. I think he could be a #2 on a few other teams around the league. He more than meets the bill as a #3. HIs problem is that because of Crumpler, he's not going to get much work unless Crump goes down with injury. I don't think Blakley got called for a single holding penalty last year, which truly shows the progress he's made. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, suddenly a backup TE's more of a need, as other areas have been addressed to some degree. Throw backup/future safties in there too.