It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most HERE thought Andy Reid a less than average Coach!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Maybe he won't win another game this year but Andy Reid got a team that won 2 games last year to already win three games this year.

When Coach Dirk Koetter said the reasons were the parity of the NFL is why The Falcons didn't put teams away then we heard that in these first two weeks 21 of 32
games was decided by less than 7 points it doesn't make Coach Koetter look like such a turd.

So I want to revisit my truth about NFL football THAT FEW TEAMS WIN A SUPER BOWL IN A LIFETIME!! We should think a playoff game is like going to heaven, and if we go to a Super Bowl you've reached it.

I can tell you from experience that I'd rather be in 6 playoff hunts than one Super Bowl; its all the same but one team wins in the end.

Please don't say nobody called Andy REID A BAD COACH though he had a flawed Qb in McNabb. We'll see how many fans stay Falcon fans this season; it doesn't take a lot to turn fans against a losing team although we're 1-1.

I hate to say it but I was kinda (just a little) hoping for this; (and I saw this as a down year for a lot of reason's) because I'm so sick of the Super Bowl or Bust thinking because the truth is we might hit in 30 more years or perhaps less. An educated fan about going to the Super Bowl is a more grateful fan; and that's the end of this story.

Post subject: Re: Most HERE thought Andy Reid a less than average Coach!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well they said it during last night's broadcast. The Chiefs were bound to turn things around just from the lack of turnovers alone. They were -24 in turnover margin last year, worst int he league. They turned the ball over 29 times in the first 9 games. The Falcons turned the ball over 22 times all year (playoffs included). Law of averages said that they wouldn't/couldn't turn the ball over 37 times again this year (league average was 25 last year), so that alone would probably add at least 2 or 3 wins to their total.

I still don't think Andy Reid is as good a coach as his reputation suggests he is, but he's still a good coach. I just don't think he belongs in the Top 10 anymore. Although he certainly would still be in the Top 15.

As I said last winter, I think 3 or 4 years from now we're going to look back at the 2012 season and see that as the best chance we had since '98 to go to the Super Bowl. We blew that opportunity, and as I believed 8 months ago, there was a very good chance that it would be 5+ years before we ever got an opportunity like that again. As I said in another thread, Cyril you grasp this concept better than most because of your extensive experience watching the ups and downs of the Falcons and the league as a whole, and my own because of my degree in history. Look, when I say that since 1998, only 1 team has ever made the playoffs 6 years in a row (Manning-led Colts), to most that may seem like an arbitrary number/stat, but IMO it is very meaningful.

We always talk about windows, and having a franchise QB gives you a long window. It does. Brett Favre had only 1 losing season during the 16 years he was in Green Bay. But that doesn't mean that they were a Super Bowl contender year in and year out. Most of those years they were a 9-7 team grasping for a wildcard spot. Other years, they were a 10 or 11-win team that was the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. There were probably only 4 or 5 years where they truly were a Super Bowl team, and they happened to make it 2 of those years. And it's interesting that most of the years came when they had Reggie White on defense. And after he retired in 1998, that 2007 might have been the only real good shot they had. Maybe in 2001, but that happened to be the year that the Rams were still the greatest show on turf and they crushed them in the 2nd round of the playoffs 45-17. Maybe again in 2003, but the Eagles converted a 4th & 26 to send the game into OT and Favre threw a pick in OT in Round 2. Maybe they would've beaten Jake Delhomme & the Panthers the following week in Carolina and played the Patriots in the Super Bowl...Who knows?

I'm not going to write off this year's team, although the writing is on the wall. But you never know, maybe the Falcons running game gets its act together over the final months. Maybe the OL improves enough to be competent by year's end. And maybe Asante Samuel and Roddy White play out of their minds when they get back into the lineup. And Ryan and Julio are like Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald were in 2008 playoffs, and the Falcons as a wildcard team shock a couple of teams and make a run. Maybe we suffer from the injury bug like the 2010 Packers, and it just makes Ryan that much better.

But I doubt all that happens, becaus