It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milloy short
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Another hard copy Sporting News blurb:

"Strong Opening Argument: SS Lawyer Milloy has been everything the Falcons envisioned when they signed him this offseason. He's vocal in the locker room, a keen student in meeting rooms and a hard worker on the field. Look for him to become the enforcer Atlanta desperately needs in the secondary. What Milloy lacks, however, is speed, and his 32-year old body will need time to recover from bumps, bruises and minor injuries."

I don't know if this kind of stuff has been posted on AF.com, but I like to hear him leading the team. Kind of reminds me of LB Cornelius Bennet in the 98 season. Without him the defense couldn't have jelled as a single unit that took us to the SB.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:58 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I hate to be negative, but remember they were saying the exact same stuff about Hartwell a year ago, minus the slow stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well it's gotta start somewhere, may as well be Milloy. We didn't pick him up to be a non-factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:13 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

You cant compare Milloy to Hartwell. Milloy is a seasoned vet, a leader...Hartwell has always been in the shadows of Ray Lewis. Not to say that Hartwell cant become a leader, but he has to show it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Perhaps in leadership Hartwell was in Lewis' shadow,...but when Lewis went down, Hartwell responded with a Pro-Bowl season,...how many tackles did Hartwell make that season? It seems like it well over 180,...going on memory here, maybe over 200 tackles?

This another case of someone suggesting the Falcons didn't get a good player by signing a guy like Hartwell(which they did last year at this time), and now Milloy.

So I wonder which guy would win a foot race?,...Milloy or Carpenter?

Yes Pudge,...Bennett was the glue that held that rag-tag unit together in '98.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:37 pm 

I just don't get too worked up about what they are saying about newcomers in May and June. Michael Jenkins was said to be great in mini camps and then proceeded to have 7 catches as a rookie. Hartwell was really vocal and a good leader in the off-season, but then had 1 good game and 4 average ones before going down with an injury.

You're #1 pick or one of your key FA signings should be having good off-seasons. Much of it's reality but a big part of it's PR. If J-Will is covering Roddy during practice, and gets his feet tangled and gets beat overtop on a deep throw, the coaching staff is going to say things to reporters like "I like how he kept working and tried to recover." If that same thing happened to Ahmad Treaudo, they wouldn't say anything because nobody cares and those two players are held at a different standard.

Part of the job of being an NFL head coach is working the PR aspect, especially during a time of year when the franchise is working hard to get those season and single game tickets sold. Hearing about solid mini camp efforts from Roddy, J-Will, Norwood, Abraham, and Milloy are going to help sell those tickets.

I'm not saying I don't think these guys are going to live up to these expectations, I'm just not going to salivate over the sound bytes I hear about how good a guy looks in shorts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:05 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I think the Hartwell knock is a little undeserved. The guy didnt even have 3 full reg season games under his belt before he suffered a season ending injury...and one that is freak. By freak I mean not exactly due to being out of shape.

Sure, he didnt look great in the pre season or the two games he played in...but give the guy at least a full season worth of games before you try to rate him IMHO. I think he could be the forgooten piece of the puzzle that turns this defense around...should it happen. MLB isnt exactly a position I expect instant results from. Its takes instinctual knowlege of the system, cohesiveness with the teammates, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Don't know who you are but you make some big time sense.

Post subject: Hartwell
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Hartwell... this is a tired horse. Was he a product of a great D in Baltimore? Maybe, because he didn't produce here. But, and there have been many Buts out there. Injury cost him, an injury that was nagging him from training camp and then cost him his season when it blew up four games in. He got beat up without a 'huge' D-lineman in front of him, but shouldn't it be a great MLBs job to stop the run without the 'huge' prototype lineman? The only way we will know is with time, but as a whole I think we all hope he becomes the monster he was in Baltimore.

MF1

J. Mora JR.