Superstar

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/9/10/ ... s-work-out

Why are they working out WRs?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roddy To IR?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Roddy has a high ankle sprain, an injury that IIRC typically is a 6-8 week injury. Which means that he could be out of comission (or at least very limited like he was in Week 1) for another 3-4 weeks.

The Falcons historically work out players only when there is an injury at a position (as opposed to just kicking the tires on guys willy nilly), and it almost always means a signing is imminent.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons sign one of these guys (or others) and carry 6 WRs on the roster for a couple of weeks just to solidify their depth.

I think Massaquoi is the most talented of the group, but he's always a notorious underachiever. I advocated signing him in the offseason to be that outside stretch receiver, but that's more of a long-form project and it would be doubtful him or any of these guys would contribute much on gamedays over the next month or so.

Instances like this is why you need to have a good 4th WR, and not Drew Davis. Not to say Davis is bad. But you put him on the field against Cortland Finnegan next week for 40+ snaps, and he'll be lucky to have 2 catches for 25 yards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

With Roddy banged up and with Douglas getting more touches, we need some depth. HD is probably 175 soaking wet and the chances of injury increase due to the slight frame and more hits coming his way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Roddy has a high ankle sprain, an injury that IIRC typically is a 6-8 week injury. Which means that he could be out of comission (or at least very limited like he was in Week 1) for another 3-4 weeks..

so he re-aggravated an injury in the Saints game, when everyone knew he was not 100%, but he was used as a 'decoy'?

Now he's out for three more weeks?

Posted Today, 03:23 PM
SMITH ANTICIPATES WHITE WILL PLAY VS. RAMS

JAY ADAMS

Published September 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Head coach Mike Smith didn’t give many specifics or commentary on the Wednesday injury report, but he did say that he anticipates the week for Roddy White to be similar to last week.
White was limited in practice all last week as the Falcons prepared for the Saints and ended up playing in a limited role. White didn’t practice Wednesday but Smith said he thinks White will play against the Rams on Sunday.
“We kept Roddy out and, again, he’s the guy that played for us (last) week and we anticipate that he’ll play this coming week,” Smith said.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am 

fun gus wrote:
so he re-aggravated an injury in the Saints game, when everyone knew he was not 100%, but he was used as a 'decoy'?

I don't think that was what happened at all.

I think the Falcons hid the severity of his injury all along. And it was always a 6-8 week injury from the start. Roddy said he was only supposed to play 10-15 snaps on Sunday. He wound up playing 37, likely due to the fact that the Falcons needed him late in the game.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/09/ ... s-his.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd just let him rest. I'm sure that he doesn't want to, but we have plenty of other weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:02 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:

I don't think that was what happened at all.

I think the Falcons hid the severity of his injury all along. And it was always a 6-8 week injury from the start. Roddy said he was only supposed to play 10-15 snaps on Sunday. He wound up playing 37, likely due to the fact that the Falcons needed him late in the game.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/09/ ... s-his.html

"
"They had me on kind of a snap-count," White said. "I know I played more snaps than I was supposed to. I was supposed to play 10 or 15. I played a lot more. I wanted to be out there."

look, I'd rather have a healthy Roddy in week 4 then a dinged up, lingering-injured Roddy in week 4, even if he doesn't play against our division rival...Mike Smith is the coach. It's not up to 'Roddy' to make the decision to be out there or not. I would have had Roddy run one snap, and sit him. Now, Im not so sure.. If Roddy sees even ONE snap against the Rams, Mike Smith has not learned a damn thing. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
If Roddy sees even ONE snap against the Rams, Mike Smith has not learned a damn thing. :evil:

Shhh. They don't like it when you talk badly about his holiness.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert that's b.s. Its just you don't respect a Coach who went 13-3 last season,
so your talking every year that Coach Smith doesn't get his teams ready to play a full sixty minutes each year and perhaps you should look back at our won-lost record before Coach Smith.

Their are mistakes Coach Smith and every coach makes, its just you expect to win without talent; but its only been 1 f**** game!! Now Coach Smith is better off having the Rams plan on Roddy vs. us telling them what we're doing.

Roddy's had hip injuries for about 5 games a season, but he's produced!! The Coach does have the final say, but a player shouldn't say he's fine then hurt his team just because he wants to be on the field. We don't know crap about Roddy's health, he may be better (I doubt it) but we only know about last week. (Now)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
look, I'd rather have a healthy Roddy in week 4 then a dinged up, lingering-injured Roddy in week 4, even if he doesn't play against our division rival..

It's the dreaded high ankle sprain. Even if he sits on his lazy boy and tweets all day and night until week 4, he's still gonna feel it. Like it or not, sit or play, Roddy is gonna feel it most of the season.

The Falcons or Roddy will say other wise during the season, but Roddy will tweet the truth at some point.

***edited to say week 4***

Last edited by AngryJohnny51 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
RobertAP wrote:
Robert that's b.s. Its just you don't respect a Coach who went 13-3 last season,
so your talking every year that Coach Smith doesn't get his teams ready to play a full sixty minutes each year and perhaps you should look back at our won-lost record before Coach Smith.

Their are mistakes Coach Smith and every coach makes, its just you expect to win without talent; but its only been 1 f**** game!! Now Coach Smith is better off having the Rams plan on Roddy vs. us telling them what we're doing.

You see Fun Gus... I told you! ;)

Cyril, I don't believe that Smith has what's needed to win a Superbowl. Perhaps my opinion is flawed. I'm starting to question that opinion based on some of the other posts made on here recently. My reasoning for the opinion is that the Falcons seem to get complacent when they get out to a lead. It is seemingly true that most teams get complacent when they get a lead. (stats have been provided to back it up.) As Pudge has pointed out, I've been judging things in a bit of a vacuum lately.

My other issues with Smith have to do with little things that I have seen on game day. His challenges are pretty bad, his clock management is bad, and I really didn't like how he got into Samuel's grill after he made a pick last year. (Samuel drew a BS celebration flag and Smith exploded at Samuel.) Those things aren't THE REASON for my opinion, but they stack up for why I'm not Smith's biggest fan.

Now, even with my opinion wavering a bit, I believe that Smith will continue to lead the Falcons to winning seasons for as long as Matt Ryan is our QB. With all of those winning seasons, it's possible that the Falcons will make it to a Superbowl. However, I still don't think that we'll win a Superbowl with him as HC. If that opinion changes, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:04 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
His challenges are pretty bad, his clock management is bad, and I really didn't like how he got into Samuel's grill after he made a pick last year. (Samuel drew a BS celebration flag and Smith exploded at Samuel.)

But that Samuel penalty essentially cost the Falcons 4 points. So I think Smitty was more than warranted for busting Asante's chops.

And I disagree on the challenges and clock management. Yes, he'll make some bone-headed challenges from time to time, but so does every coach. It's not a recurring theme. My recollection is that last year there were maybe 2 or so dumb challenges, which I think is a more than an allowable number.

As for clock management, I'm going to have to disagree with you. But again, you believe that the Falcons poorly managed the clock at the end of the 49ers game, and of all the things that we have disagreed on over the past year or so, I think that is the one thing where you are the most wrong on. I think that was an example of excellent clock management. And I think you're complaints about his management on Sunday is really nitpicking and example of someone counting their chickens before they hatch.

The idea that a coach is stupid for calling a timeout before a 3rd & goal and 4th & goal in the final minute to make sure that his team gets the right play called for the potential game-winning TD to me is crazy.

I think in nearly all these cases you either have a warped sense of what is right/good coaching, or that you are really nitpicking because of your bias towards him and making minor issues into glaring problems based off that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Here's why I think that the recent timeout was a poor choice. First, and most obvious, you the more time Brees has left to work with, the better the chances that he will be able to get his team into field goal range.

Second, you have the opposing defense on their heels. You gashed them for several plays. Now you're stopping your offense, which is on fire, and you're giving the defense a chance to get their stuff together.

Lastly, I don't buy that the coaching staff needs to take extra time to figure out what play that they want to run. Matter of fact, given the results, I'd say that the extra time taken was a mistake. I would have preferred that we had no timeouts in that situation and had Matt Ryan make the call at the line. That drive was pretty much in Matt's hands anyway.

If we had Dom Davis running the plays in that situation, then yes, call the timeout and make sure that you have the play that you want. With Matt Ryan at QB, you're better off making a call and letting him go out and get it done rather than bringing him to the sideline, giving the other team a break, and over thinking what you're going to do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert Wrote
Quote:

This is why I responded and you know no one cares what anyone says about anyone.
I just disagree with most of your thoughts on Smith and say so but not with anything of personal feelings. The above statement is more about the board and just not true.

I don't think the Falcons will do as good this year; but the Gm always has to take the blame about talent; even though most teams have an off year now and then, its just critical its only for 1 year!! (and I may be wrong about that being this year)

I can't say your opinion about Smith and a Super Bowl is right or wrong because we've never won one, I just know there is no worse feeling to start 2-7 and know your season is over in October.I've had that happen about 15 times!! If you get to the playoffs you really have a chance.

The 98 team really had no business earning a Super Bowl; and last year we were really close and I still don't see how with that defense let us get that close. As to Coach Smith; getting us to this many playoffs has given us chances, but until we're
better and more balanced its hard to imagine with Coach Smith or anyone else actually winning a Super Bowl. (I thought we would have matched up well against
Baltimore) but the break we needed was a ref throwing a flag on our last play)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:47 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
Here's why I think that the recent timeout was a poor choice. First, and most obvious, you the more time Brees has left to work with, the better the chances that he will be able to get his team into field goal range.

True, but if the Falcons had scored on 3rd down and then Bosher kicked a touchback. With 49 seconds in the game, starting at their own 20, the Saints would have only had a 15% chance of winning the game. If Smitty had let the clock bleed another 30 seconds, that would have lowered the chances of the Saints winning the game to 7%. But again, I think that's really nothing more than nitpicking. Is it dumb to give your team an 85% chance of winning rather than a 93% chance of something?

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/winprobcalc1.php

I don't disagree with the notion that leaving less time on the clock is better for the Falcons. That is without dispute and a no-brainer. But to call a coach dumb because of an extra 30 seconds left on the clock, I disagree with. Sure, it wasn't the best decision/outcome we could have hoped for. But that takes it from an A-level to a B-level. Yet, you're trying to argue it's D or F-level.

RobertAP wrote:
Second, you have the opposing defense on their heels. You gashed them for several plays. Now you're stopping your offense, which is on fire, and you're giving the defense a chance to get their stuff together.

But more importantly, you're giving that offense that chance as well. Which is the MOST IMPORTANT thing since Mike Smith coaches the Atlanta Falcons not the New Orleans Saints.

RobertAP wrote:
Lastly, I don't buy that the coaching staff needs to take extra time to figure out what play that they want to run. Matter of fact, given the results, I'd say that the extra time taken was a mistake.

You mean the result where Steven Jackson was in position to make the game-winning catch? Had Jackson hung onto the ball (and the same goes for Gonzalez on 4th down), the Falcons would have scored but that would have been a mistake? The mistakes were the drops, not the calls.

RobertAP wrote:
I would have preferred that we had no timeouts in that situation and had Matt Ryan make the call at the line. That drive was pretty much in Matt's hands anyway.

That's your opinion and preference. Look, I prefer brunettes to blondes, but that doesn't mean that women with dark hair or more beautiful than women with light hair. And I certainly wouldn't call anyone dumb if they prefer blondes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

To your last statement, I believe that Matt Ryan does a better job of managing our offense than any offensive coordinator to date. Our team is one of the best in the league in the hurry up/2 minute offense. We are a better offense in that offense than we are in a straight huddle up offense. The hurry up also helps our offensive line as it doesn't give defensive players an opportunity to rest between plays, which would be a big advantage for our below average tackles.

Frankly, I would be happy to put the whole offense in Matt's hands. Let him earn that 100 million we gave him.