It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons' White thinking deep thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:34 am 
Role Player
Role Player

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/arti ... 70606.html

On the first day of the Atlanta Falcons ' recent mini-camp at their Flowery Branch training facility, Roddy White officially welcomed Jimmy Williams to the NFL.

In the initial one-on-one confrontation of Williams' NFL career, he ran step for step with White down the right hash mark. Suddenly, like a sports car changing lanes on an Atlanta freeway, White broke off the pattern and veered to the center of the field. Williams recovered quickly, but there was just enough separation for White to beat the former Virginia Tech All-American to the football.

A few minutes later, White ran a fade down the left sideline. As the Falcons' official Website reported: "(Michael) Vick put a perfect ball up and White eyed the pass before Williams realized its arrival, then leaped and put his arms over the head of the rookie, landing on his back with a 40-plus-yard reception."

So Jimmy Williams, although impressive early, still has some learning to do. To the Falcon coaches, however, those two plays showed more about Roddy White than about their prize rookie cornerback.

For years, the Falcons have been looking for a deep threat to complement Vick's bazooka of an arm. The middle-of-the-field patterns have been handled quite nicely by TE Algae Crumpler and possession receiver Brian Finneran, but Atlanta has spent the last few seasons looking for a field-stretcher. Peerless Price, Tim Dwight, Terence Mathis, Tony Martin and Shawn Jefferson all had their moments, but a key element of the attack remained missing.

White wants to change that. Despite what is expected to be spirited competition from fellow starter Michael Jenkins, White told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution last week: "I feel that's my spot as the No. 1 receiver. That's what I want. That's what I'm after."

Last season, like all the other pretenders to that title in recent years, the UAB product was promising but inconsistent. He made some tough plays, he botched some easy ones. He dozed off in team meetings. And in the end, Jenkins caught more passes (36 to 29) for more yards (508-446). Both scored three touchdowns, and Vick continued to throw mostly to Crumpler and Finneran.

A solidly built 6-0, 208-pounder, White (full name Sharod) was a two-time state wrestling champion at James Island High School in Charleston, SC -- the better to fend off hand-checking DB's at the line of scrimmage. And as for being a deep threat, he was the deepest on the draft board in 2005, leading the nation with 1,452 receiving yards for the UAB Blazers and averaging 20.5 yards a catch.

It's a rare skill that goes beyond eye-popping speed and soft hands. Like a Gold Glove outfielder, the deep threat must be able to sense the location of the ball while simultaneously battling a determined defender. Like an accomplished basketball rebounder, he has to know precisely when to jump.

With the Falcons, things are complicated a bit by the velocity of Vick's passes, even far downfield. And often, when the Falcon QB is throwing on the run, receivers have to adjust their patterns in mid-flight to catch up to an overthrown or under-thrown ball.

White made it a point during mini-camp to establish good chemistry with not only Vick, but backup quarterback Matt Schaub and rookie D.J. Shockley.

"I've been telling them -- you throw me the ball, and I'll make some plays," White said, adding of his sometimes lackadaisical performance in 2005, "My train of thought has changed."

Now, it looks like an express train.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

good stuff Cowbell....White will be the man this year...just throw him the damn ball and lets see what happens. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yep, that pretty much backs up the theory of... let him go deep a couple times, let Vick use the canon, and see what happens. Worst case you streach the D, best case we become a much more dynamic offense.

Post subject: White
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, let Vick throw those crazy jump balls like a fool and then have Roddy bail him out with spectacular catches.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:46 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

why the hell not? A 40 yard INT works the same as a punt.

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:13 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

John Engel wrote:

Haha, yep!! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:52 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

John Engel wrote:

:lol: my thoughts exactly

Post subject: Downs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, but you don't normally punt on 1st down :twisted:

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Downs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:

MF1

that's why you chunk it on 3rd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:43 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

and Knapp doesn't usually throw on 1st down either...

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

John Engel wrote:
and Knapp doesn't usually throw on 1st down either...

actually last year it was pretty close to 50-50 if I am not mistaken... I will try and find the stats for that

Post subject: Re: Downs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:45 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

buddyboy wrote:
MarylandFalcon1 wrote:

MF1

that's why you chunk it on 3rd!

Thats a bit predictable...lol, mix it up, throw a couple on first, nobody will think thats coming...TD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:08 pm 

Steve-O wrote:
actually last year it was pretty close to 50-50 if I am not mistaken... I will try and find the stats for that

I also recall like over the first half of the year, we ran it on 1st every down, and then in the 2nd half it was always a pass.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:19 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
Steve-O wrote:

I also recall like over the first half of the year, we ran it on 1st every down, and then in the 2nd half it was always a pass.

perhaps that's why we finished 2-6