It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on the final 53?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

FOUR UDFA's on the squad. Either our depth was god awful, or TD nailed some gems. Worrilow may be a potential starter. He seems to have some issues with angles, but is solid in coverage, makes fantastic reads, and has a motor that just doesn't quit. I would say that he's Keith Brooking 2.0, but so far, he seems to be better in coverage than Brooking.

I'm a little surprised that we let James walk. I never understood what the staff saw in him, but they obviously valued having him around. I guess with Bartu and Worrilow having the preseason that they had, James was the odd man out. He did show some skills against the Jags, so someone might pick him up.

Darius Johnson looked good in pre-season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the practice squad. Ditto with Replogle.

I applaud the Falcons for finding a way to fit Josh Vaughn on their roster. He REALLY showed something this preseason. I would say that he's probably the 2nd or 3rd best RUNNING back on the team. Obviously Snelling and Smith have unique skill sets that make them extremely valuable, but carrying the ball out of the backfield, Vaughn looks better than either of them. Perhaps even better than Rodgers.

I'm thinking that we're not done making moves yet. We currently have five safeties, and six running backs on the squad. I just don't see that lasting for very long.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the final 53?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

After the first week, veterans get cheaper. So yes. there will be roster action then.

D-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:53 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

RobertAP wrote:
I applaud the Falcons for finding a way to fit Josh Vaughn on their roster. He REALLY showed something this preseason. I would say that he's probably the 2nd or 3rd best RUNNING back on the team. Obviously Snelling and Smith have unique skill sets that make them extremely valuable, but carrying the ball out of the backfield, Vaughn looks better than either of them. Perhaps even better than Rodgers.

Famous last words. :ninja:

If/when the Falcons draft S-Jax's replacement, Vaughan will be right out the door.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

My thoughts on the final 53 is I wish we had someone like Abe use to be, that we could count on rushing the passer.

Sure if we found free agents who will improve that great!! We've just got rookies at
corner (not counting A.S.) AND too many players who have not proved anything who are starting.

I think our depth was terrible and that's why we're in this mess (if we are? )

I'm still excited about Steven Jackson and am hoping Julio keeps improving; I'm also
really hoping Ryan doesn't get hurt. I've never worried about it before, but when the season starts everything speeds up!!

N.O. will tell us a lot, we've played them pretty good in the past!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:26 am 

Cyril wrote:
N.O. will tell us a lot, we've played them pretty good in the past!!

...Yet always managed to lose.

Profile E-mail