All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Five Falcons to Watch Tonight vs. Ravens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/five-falcons-to-wat ... avens-8743

Five Falcons to Watch Tonight vs. Ravens
August 15th, 2013 Aaron Freeman Edit Leave a comment Go to comments

This second preseason game will likely feature a longer look at the Falcons starters, who played three series and much of the first quarter in their opener against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Several of the same five players that I indicated you should keep your eyes on against the Bengals would probably be my choices again this week, including Dominique Davis, Ryan Schraeder, and Desmond Trufant. But I opted to go with a new quintet of players just to keep things fresh.

WR Marcus Jackson

Drew Davis appears to being solidifying his grip on the fourth wide receiver spot on the depth chart, but no one yet has emerged as the front-runner for the fifth and final spot. Jackson has earned praise in camp alongside Martel Moore, and thus needs to turn that into production on the field. Tonight will be as good a time as any to start.

TE Levine Toilolo

Toilolo had a disappointing performance against the Bengals, not necessarily because he did not catch a pass, but because he looked overwhelmed as a blocker. Toilolo needs to rebound this week and show that he is an effective blocker, as well as potentially showcase his potential as a receiver. He needs to show that he can do at least one of those things well, otherwise he may find himself hard-pressed to see the field come the regular season.

OC Peter Konz

Konz will be going up against All-Pro nose tackle Haloti Ngata when facing the Ravens’ starters. Ngata is one of the best in the business and will be a very tough matchup for any center. Even if Konz fares poorly, it will be a good litmus test for him going into the season. His predecessor, Todd McClure, routinely struggled going up against 3-4 nose tackles, both good and bad, throughout his career. It will be worth watching to note whether Konz has those same issues moving forward.

DE/DT Cliff Matthews

Matthews, similar to Toilolo, looked a bit overwhelmed in the preseason matchup against the Bengals. He appeared to have the majority of his work come inside at defensive tackle, but seemed to get pushed around too much, unable to get off blocks. Matthews is a high-motor that did an excellent job at run defense when he was a much smaller end last year. He needs to showcase that the bulk he added this off-season to get more reps inside is paying dividends by being more stout against the run there.

S Charles Mitchell

One of the issues facing this Falcon team is depth at the safety position given the durability issues that have plagued William Moore almost every season he’s been with the team. Mitchell is the most talented of the group of young safeties and he’ll need to step up to provide confidence that he could fill in if Moore was to go down again. A strong performance against the Ravens could inspire that confidence.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Five Falcons to Watch Tonight vs. Ravens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I will be keeping an eye on the right side of the OL, Alford, Trufant, Massaquoi, Worrilow, and Banks.

I'm hoping that Toilolo gets more involved tonight, but I won't be watching him intently.

Also, if I do a post game review and I'm critical of the OL, the DL, or otherwise, that doesn't mean that I think that we suck and we won't ever win.

Post subject: Re: Five Falcons to Watch Tonight vs. Ravens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Definitely Worrilow, right side of oline and the young secondary duo. Hard not to focus on those really...