It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PFW Falcons rumors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:19 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

• We hear rookie RB Jerious Norwood is as fast as advertised -- his 4.33 40-time at the combine was tops among running backs -- and his fleet feet reminded some observers at the Falcons' mini-camp of a young Eric Dickerson. Even more impressive than Norwood's speed are his hands -- he did not fumble during his senior season at Mississippi State. We're told Norwood holds the ball high and tight against his body like Giants RB Tiki Barber, and that has a lot to do with his low fumble total.

• Sources close to the Falcons tell us that rookie QB D.J. Shockley was impressive at mini-camp and that he has a leg up on second-year QB Bryan Randall for the third-string QB job because he's a better athlete than Randall.

• Word out of Atlanta is that starting DT Chad Lavalais showed up at mini-camp in terrible shape and that his starting job could be in jeopardy. Antwan Lake, a top reserve last year, got a lot of work with the first team at the mini-camp. We're told the Falcons could still try to add a veteran free agent like former Panthers DT Brentson Buckner before training camp begins.

Last edited by ridethemattrain on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Lava
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

That is tough to hear about Lavalais. I hate is when big guys come into camp after doing nothing but eat and sit on their butt for four months.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:12 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, I don't want to close the book on Lavalais too soon. I think he's a good player that played well coming off the bench as a rookie particularly when it came to stuffing the run, then improved as a pass rusher last year, and hoping he'd put it all together this year. But if he's in poor shape, then it makes that possibility less likely.

I would hate for our 2004 draft class in retrospect to be a class in which we basically developed a bunch of players for a year or two to trade them away so that they could on to do better things elsewhere in the league. You have to be a bit tentative on giving up on DTs early. Guys really don't find their stride typically until Year 3 or 4 in the league. Three good examples of guys that struggled through the first 2-4 years of their career, but wound up being pretty solid players further down the road are: Ed Jasper, Dan Wilkinson, and Gerard Warren.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:23 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Lavalais sucks...he is our weak link on defense. He cant stop the run. He cant rush the passer. He always gets occupied by one blocker.

Shrop and Lake are better football players than he is. However, I dont think either of them are our answer. We need to sign a vet for running downs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:57 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Big Duddy and Warren were both high picks. The knock on both was motivation. So chances are they "got it" when it became clear the paychecks would stop if they didn't stay clean and lay out some effort.

Lavalais was a 5th round pick who was already older coming into the league. His conditioning tells me how seriously he takes his job. I hope Shrop takes his spot and Lake and Jackson push him off the roster. That fat ass can go work at DQ and see how the pay checks stack up. It amazes me how these guys can't see the writing on the wall especially when their alternatives aren't nearly as appealing as their current job.

No knock, BB, but I am guessing that LSU degree, if he has one, isn't going to knock down a lot of doors for Chad.

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:07 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Oh no John, I'm in full agreement with you..he has some serious issues regarding his motivation, unless he thinks he can be a 350 pound road grater, but he doesn't have the upper body strength to be a good one....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:46 pm 

Lake is not a better player than Lavalais. Sure, he's a better pass rusher. But unless it's a passing down, Lake is not going to do much. Go back and watch game tape of Antwan Lake when teams ran at him last year. It was like he was a matador.

He's good at getting upfield, and you put him in there on 3rd & 11, he's going to show you somethings (see Jets game), but other than that's he's only a situational player. His value to this team will likely decrease as Babs develops.

Shropshire I like a little bit more because he has more base and width vs. the run. But I didn't see enough of him last year to give you a good judge of his play. But I agree, I'm not sure if he's the answer.

I would love to add someone like Buckner to the mix to push these young guys. I don't have a problem with the Falcons cutting any of these 4 young guys if it's for a better player, even for an old-timer like Buckner who may only play 1 year. But I would like to see what progress these guys have made from last year as well. I think with the addition of Abraham, and the healthy return of Hartwell, it's going to make tehse guys jobs easier.

As I said, I'm not ready to close the book on Lavalais. I think if you've seen flashes of ability (and we have), you have to give a DT at least 3 years, just like you would for a young QB. Obviously since conditioning has been an issue with Lavalais for a while, you put him on a short leash. But it's not like we're talking about a guy ballooning up to 380 pounds. POor shape to the Falcons coaching staff is 310 pounds.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, what about Babs?? He was a second rounder, so it seems like he'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of that spot, not 4 out of 4 on the depth chart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:34 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Babs rotates with Coleman. He is not a NT, and therefore, wouldnt fit well into Lavalais' spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:32 pm 

Yeap, Lake would be the guy to take over Lavalais' starting spot and he is probably our best run stuffer on the D-Line.