It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Game of the Week
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

NFL Network has 16 weeks of these games from last year (I.E. The featured Game of the Week), 3 of them involve the Falcons. Falcons vs Eagles, Falcons vs Patriots, Falcons vs Bucs... all at home for the Birds. I don't know how many times I have had to watch us get beat in the last year by the Patriots and Bucs on NFL Network, but after today (another showing of Falcons V Bucs) I don't think I can take it anymore. What a tough year we had, as both of those losses were SO close and we would have found a way to win them in 04.

Let's hope we can win those games this upcoming season so I can spend the year watching great wins instead of tough losses.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

IMO, when 100% healthy, Vick could've done something dynamic late in some of those games to put us over the top (kinda like '04). I fully expect to see that this year.

Post subject: Shaffer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Sorry, but it is downtime for the NFL so I figure I can rant about old games if I want. This Falcons/Bucs game is a travesty, and each time I watch it I become more ill. I will say this about it, however, AT LEAST WE NO LONGER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT KEVIN SHAFFER!

1st Quarter: Shaffer gets a false start, then when we are backed up to the freakin 2 yard line and Vick has to come out for injury he lets S. Rice run around him to force a fumble on Schaub for a defensive TD. No matter how many times I watch it I can't see how this guy ever helped us. Those great GM's in Cleveland can pay another loser big $ for bad play to add to their ever growing list.

The bad news... Knapp is still calling the plays for us! Who? And I mean WHO calls a pass against the Bucs from your own endzone on 3rd and 22? AND, who calls that pass with Schaub taking his first snap under center of the game? Matt takes a 5 step drop, A 5 STEP DROP into the back of the endzone! Nutts... that is all I can say.

Man, I hate the Bucs...

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Stats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ok, I had to look up the stats from this game and wouldn't you know it we came up with the same old song and dance.

M. Vick 21/38 306yards 2TD 0INT

R.White 108 yards
M. Jenkins 69 yards 1 TD
A. Crumpler 49 1 TD
B. Finn 40 yards

Another unreal passing game by the Birds and we take a loss. How many of these passing games did we lose last year? It is unreal. If Vick throws for 20 yards and 3 INTs we win, if he throws for 250+ with no INTs we lose. I must have been something in the water because there is NO WAY games can continue to play out like this.

VS Seahawks 11/19 123 yards 1TD 0INT LOSS!
VS Patroits (Schaub) 18/34 298 yards 3TD 0INT LOSS!
VS Green Bay 20/30 209 yards 2TD 0INT LOSS!
VS Tampa Bay 21/38 306 yards 2TD 0INT LOSS!

Those were the first four losses of 05... unreal! The Falcons threw for 936 yards in 4 games with 8 TDs and 0 INTS and lost all those games. That is some bad karma or something.

AND!

VS Tampa Bay 16/26 161 yards 2TD 0INTS LOSS!

So, only the 2 games against Carolina 3INTs 0TDs, and the snow bowl in Chicago 2INTs and 0TDs did Vick have rough passing games that we took a deserved loss in.

What in the name of all that is holy is going on in Atlanta? I would blame the Saints for some really bad voodoo, but we beat them twice with Vick throwing as follows...
VS New Orleans 11/23 112 1TD 1INT
VS New Orleans 12/23 231 1TD 1INT

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:03 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Kinda shows you how much the QB "Efficiency Rating" is worth, huh? I mean most of Vick's highest rated games were losses.

Let Vick be Vick and screw the stats. Just get the W's baby! :)

Now before BB jumps on me, let me just say that I realize wins are not solely due to Vick's play. I'll give you that ... that is, if you'll grant me that losses are not solely his fault.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:27 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

You are right DT..it DOES work both ways!!! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Vick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Speaking of Vick winning or losing games, I had it in my head that Vick fumbled many games away for us last season, but looking on NFL.com I found that the official stats for fumbles from Vick were:

Fumbled: 11
Lost: 5

I guess a good overall stat would be how many total scores vs total give aways for a QB, but I think looking that up would take a while... *sigh*. Guess I have a lot of work to do because I now have to know.

Pudge, how bad are those numbers compared to the rest of the starting QBs in the league?

:lol: Ok, so it wasnt' that hard... Vick passed or rushed for 21 TDs and fumbled or threw INTs 18 times, so he was +3

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:40 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Several comments to make here:

1. Everytime it seems I tune to NFL Network's game of the week, its either the Falcons vs. Bucs or Jaguars vs. Colts. It pisses me off. I refuse to watch either game!

2. If you want to see interesting stats on Vick's fumbling, go to this post from November of last year:

http://www.falcfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=951

3. One of the things that's interesting to me was that prior to the Packer game last year, I was on a Packers board talking trash about how Vick was the better QB than Favre at that moment. I cited a statistic that since 2002, VIck had a record of 12-1 in games decided by 8 points or less when he starts and finishes a game (so the Seahawks game was not counted against him), and in that span Favre had a significantly weaker record (I'm totally guessing, but i think it was something like 3-8). Then the Packers won that game much to my chagrin, and since that game Vick was 0-3 in such situations.

I was looking up the numbers at Yahoo! Sports, under the splits stats (scroll all the way down to the bottom). I have no clue what constitutes a "close" game for them, but Vick's passer rating is significantly higher when the game is "Late & Close" than any other situation. You can also browse the situational stats in 2004 and 2005, and see that Vick is also at his best passing when the game is tied rather than behind or ahead, while this it the complete opposite case from his performances in 2002 and 2003. We're talking like a difference of 20-30 rating points in certain cases, which is like the difference between Tom Brady and Joey Harrington.

Which all points more to the fact that Vick is a "winning QB." It may not be flashy, or pretty, it may drive defensive coordinators, fans, skeptics, and fantasy owners crazy, but Vick manages to win games on a level about on par with the best in the league.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pudge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:28 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Thanks for the read Pudge, I must have missed it in my agony over our late season losses, beginning with that horrible Green Bay game.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Which all points more to the fact that Vick is a "winning QB." It may not be flashy, or pretty, it may drive defensive coordinators, fans, skeptics, and fantasy owners crazy, but Vick manages to win games on a level about on par with the best in the league.

- this is exactly what i meant. a healthy vick usually finds a way to do something dynamic to put us over the top (ie. 2004).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If I have to see that Bucs v. Falcons game one more time... :evil:

I change it after the Jenkins touchdown.