It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safety
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:33 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The Sporting News released this week shows the Falcons Safety position to be at an overall rating of 'C' and ranked 12th out of the 16 teams in the NFC. They point out Crocker's lack of true experience and an overall lack of depth at the position as the key components in this rating. Only the Rams, 49ers, Seahawks, and Bucs are worse...

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, we definitely have the worst depth in the conference if not the league. Our depth is terrible at safety. I can understand their skepticism in Crocker. Frankly, he's only started 1 full year, and despite playing well, it doesn't mean that he's going to keep playing at that level.

I'm still skeptical on how much better of a player Crocker is to Bryan Scott. Sure, he's better in run support, but you need safeties that can make plays. Especially when you only have 1 playmaker starting at CB. Scott wasn't a consistent playmaker, but he showed me over his 2.5 years as a starter that he could create some plays, by picking off passes, forcing fumbles, etc. during his time here. Neither Crocker nor Milloy are really those types of safeties, usually their only plays come in the form of tackles. Someone has to step up and be the type of guy that can bat away passes, create turnovers, etc. at safety.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Safety
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Both of these guys (Milloy and Crocker) are there to help in the run, but you are right Pudge that D. Hall is our only proven CB so we are looking for JW to come alive in his rookie year. You know as well as I that any rookie, no matter the position, will be hard pressed to be the kind of all-pro we will need.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:45 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

After Bryan Scott's first season, I thought he was going to be really good and get better each season. This past season he didnt show me anything. He made a few plays but for how many times he actually had a chance to make a pick or something along that nature, he seemed to mess up more then not. I remember seeing him drop a lot of passes that went straight into his hands. I honestly, from what i have seen and read about crocker think that he will be a lot better then scott. Sure we can remain skeptic until he proves something on the falcons, but I think he will do just fine. Then again I thought the same thing about cory hall when we got him, but oh well i hope i am not wrong again. I still do not think we should be ranked 12 out of 16 at safety and I just hope crocker and milloy prove everyone wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Pudge wrote:
Yeah, we definitely have the worst depth in the conference if not the league. Our depth is terrible at safety. I can understand their skepticism in Crocker. Frankly, he's only started 1 full year, and despite playing well, it doesn't mean that he's going to keep playing at that level.

I'm still skeptical on how much better of a player Crocker is to Bryan Scott. Sure, he's better in run support, but you need safeties that can make plays. Especially when you only have 1 playmaker starting at CB. Scott wasn't a consistent playmaker, but he showed me over his 2.5 years as a starter that he could create some plays, by picking off passes, forcing fumbles, etc. during his time here. Neither Crocker nor Milloy are really those types of safeties, usually their only plays come in the form of tackles. Someone has to step up and be the type of guy that can bat away passes, create turnovers, etc. at safety.

Well, I'll disagree somewhat. I think Crocker should be an upgrade over Scott. Scott made way too many mistakes, missed tackles, dropped INTs, blown coverages to make up for the few plays he did create. Now, that said, I would still like to have Scott on the roster, I think he's an adequate NFL backup and that would greatly improve our depth at the position.