It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prisco's Top 50 Players
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:21 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

You can see them here:
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9469847/

Vick was listed at #35, and was the only Falcon. Not a surprise at all. I was sort of shocked to see Vick ranked ahead of Favre (#44), Strahan (#48), and Edge (#39). It was Prisco's Top 50, but it actually consisted of 60 players because he lists 10 guys at the end of it that almost made it.

What was a bit shocking to me was that only 2 cornerbacks made the list: Champ Bailey (#4), and Ken Lucas (#60).

Here's PRisco's blurb on Vick, which is basically what most of have felt why he has "dissed" us on his power rankings:
Quote:
35. Michael Vick, QB, Falcons: Once he improves his passing, he will be higher up this list. That has to happen soon for his team to get to a Super Bowl.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:09 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Way too high, but I am well know for hating rankings of any sort....lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:14 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

If you look at that list at the people that "just missed" the list... Todd Heap is on there.. Alge gets no love.. He is so much better then Todd that it isnt even funny. I dont remember the last good year Heap even had.. must have been at least 3 seasons ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:56 pm 

After last season DeLo should be listed with the Top 50 players of the NFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:35 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I cant believe i just wasted my time reading that article...

Prisco is the biggest douche in the universe, ha. Right up there with Lenny P...

How can you leave guys like Crump, Dunn, DHall, Kerney, Brooking, and Abraham off that list. I mean, I understand its supposed to be the top 50 guys in the league, so to put 7 falcons on it would be a excessive, but I mean, he ranks Champ Bailey 4th?...Steven Jackson in the top 50? Adrian Wilson? Good players...but top 50???...I dont think so, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:54 am 

Well, Jackson I sort of can understand somewhat, because many people think he has a good chance of leading the NFC or NFL in rushing this year with the new coaching staff in St. Louis, much like Marshall Faulk did in the past.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:22 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Adrian Wilson - This guys an awesome safety that nobody talks about b/c he plays in AZ.

IMO, DeLo & Crump shoulda made it. For some reason I don't think Crump gets a lot of cred b/c he's viewed as Vick's security blanket/#1 receiver. People don't respect our passing game, so I don't think he gets as much cred as he should, even though he's been to the probowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:32 pm 

Crump doesn't get a lot of credit, because he's not a deep threat in the same mold as guys like Heap, Gonzalez, and Gates. Those guys have prototype TE bodies in that they are 6-5/250 or so. Alge Crumpler arguably is the best TE in the NFC, although I think Jason Witten could give him a run for his money. But guys like Shockey tend to get bigger headlines because they have more deep speed than Alge, and it's clear that deep speed is what people want at the TE spot.

Crumpler is still viewed by in large as a blocking TE that is also a good receiver. He and Erron Kinney are clearly the best all-around TEs in the league since they are both top blockers but have enough receiving ability to catch 60+ passes on a regular basis if the coaching staff allows.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:05 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I think Warrick Dunn is clearly a top 50 player in the NFL. He averaged 5.1 yards a carry last year, and while he only scored a handful of TDs, we all know that is a function of TJ getting the lion's share of carries inside the 10.

Crump's stats are certainly favorably comparable to Heap's, Gonzalez's, and Shockley's. In fact if you look at Receiving yard rankings they are #27, #28, #29, and #30. The TDs and average yards per reception are all virtually interchangeable for those 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:37 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Am I the only one who thinks that Rod Coleman is the best player on the Falcons? He's put up more sacks than any DT in the league over the last 2 seasons and that's a number that's only gonna improve with another pro bowler at end instead of a rookie.

Alge is a very good TE, but probably not going to crack a list like this because of position.
D-Hall still has a lot of doubters out there and lacks consistency, but I think he'll have a big year if he gets
- safety help from Lawyer and Crocker
- a better pass rush w/ Abraham added
- better run D forcing offenses to throw more.

Dunn doesn't really belong on this list. The fact that he can't get it done at the goalline is a big negative. He was more effective blocking for Vick in short yardage situations than he was running the ball.

I don't really know what Prisco's motive is with a list like this, there are 32 teams in the league, so people are bound to be pissed, it seems like he's just looking to generate publicity. I'd be surprised to see any team's fans happy with a list like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:59 pm 

It's amazing to me that people like Prisco continue to diss Tom Brady by putting Peyton Manning over him.

Brady is hands down the best player in the league. I used to be a Tom Brady hater, but I can no longer deny the fact that he's the best player in the league. His team is getting worst, but he's getting better.

Who would think that you'd win 3 Super Bowls in 5 years, and you still haven't probably hit your peak.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:24 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I agree 100% with you Pudge and have said the same thing for three years....Peyton is just the media's darling.

Profile E-mail