It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ojinnaka 2nd on depth chart
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:14 am 
Role Player
Role Player

does anyone expect him to be rostered this year or will he follow Omilaye's footsteps and sit the whole year? I was kinda surprised to see his name there, but maybe that is more a reflection of how little depth we have there?

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:59 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I think it is the latter John. Because of the specialty required, and the teamwork....i doubt that we sign anyone for depth unless they have previous tenure in our system. It takes too long to mold as a unit for it to become a revolving door.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ojinnaka 2nd on depth chart
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:09 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

John Engel wrote:
does anyone expect him to be rostered this year or will he follow Omilaye's footsteps and sit the whole year? I was kinda surprised to see his name there, but maybe that is more a reflection of how little depth we have there?

Does anyone know if Gibbs or Cable had any prior contact with this guy before we drafted him. Maybe they have seen something from him that really indicates he's a solid prospect in our line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:29 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I think he was valued for his ability to cut block. He must have relatively quick feet too or I don't think he would have been considered.

One thing that stinks about the cut block is that we can't start practicing until the pre-season games start. I wonder how much is lost when you can't apply the tool until such a short time before the season? It definitely beats the alternative of having our D gettting hurt, tho.

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:54 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

John Engel wrote:
I think he was valued for his ability to cut block. He must have relatively quick feet too or I don't think he would have been considered.

One thing that stinks about the cut block is that we can't start practicing until the pre-season games start. I wonder how much is lost when you can't apply the tool until such a short time before the season? It definitely beats the alternative of having our D gettting hurt, tho.

I think this definitely hurts people like Gandy who may not be used to using it as much, but I imagine most OL types have at least a working knowledge of using the cut block. I imagine the biggest change is actually the zone blocking scheme itself as opposed to the cut block.

Mst of our Reeve's OL seemed to pickup the system fairly quickly judging from the success we had in the run game the last two years, and most of them didn't seem to be perfect fits for the system, per se.

It will be fun to see what this kid can do ... but I was really hoping we'd draft Marcus McNeil myself :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'd be surprised if Ojinnaka makes the roster. He comes to this team exactly as Omiyale did last year, in major need of work in the weight room. I liked Omi's feet from what I saw of him in the preseason last summer, but he needed more upper body strength and to improve his handwork and technique. Almost everything I've heard about Ojinnaka seems to be saying the exact same things.

I see Ojinnaka on the practice squad this year and the Falcons going with the same 8 we used last year, except Gandy taking over for Shaffer.

ON the cut blocking, I know that in the past, some of our OL have commented that GIbbs teaches you the "right way" to cut block, which takes some getting used to.

Profile E-mail